Animals
S

Bug

Thousands of genetically modified insects set for release

GMO Fly
© Natural Society
Just when you thought genetically modified mosquitoes and mutated dinner entrees were the extent of biotech's hunger to manipulate the genetic coding of the planet, scientists have now unleashed a plan to launch thousands of 'frankenfly' style insects into the wild in order to combat pests.

And just like we saw with the release of genetically modified mosquitoes, the altered insects are actually being pushed as a 'green alternative' to the use of chemicals. You see, British scientists claim that mutating the genetic code of the insects is actually a way of substituting for the use of chemical pesticides.

Chemical pesticides used to lower the population of olive flies in Britain. The reality here, however, is that you are taking something damaging like chemical pesticides and replacing it with something far worse.

It's like trading in your aging car for a bicycle, except in this case the bicycle also happens to include side effects like 'may alter the genetic structure of the entire insect population'.

Bizarro Earth

Man finds snake in Starbucks bathroom

Snake in Toilet
© WTVR.comSnakes in unexpected places can startle anyone. For Bruce Ahlswede the unexpected place was a San Antonio Starbucks bathroom, where he had stopped on Tuesday, September 3, 2013, after a business presentation.
Call it a "Grande" surprise.

Snakes in unexpected places can startle anyone.

For Bruce Ahlswede the unexpected place was a San Antonio Starbucks bathroom, where he had stopped on Tuesday after a business presentation.

He froze for a moment thinking the snake, lying across the toilet, was a toy left by a prankster.

Then it started to move. He backed out of the room and found a store employee.

"I said 'Hey you've got a snake in your bathroom and she's kind of freaking out,' " Ahlswede told CNN affiliate KSAT. Bruce, his wife and store employees all crowded into the bathroom and watched as the snake, perhaps just as surprised as the rest, slithered around the toilet bowl and disappeared, the station reported. Ahlswede's wife, Michele, managed to snap a photo.

She promptly posted it to Facebook.

"It had to have crawled up the pipes," Michele wrote on her page. "I have heard of it happening but have never seen it in person. Its a python guess he like coffee also."

Bug

Biblical plague of shrieking crickets terrorize Oklahoma as they swarm over buildings, eat each other and smell 'like rotten meat'

• It is an unusually busy mating season for the brown cricket in the Sooner State
  • Cool, wet conditions have made this the worst cricket invasion in years
It's cricket mating season in Oklahoma and unusually massive swarms of the frisky bugs are terrorizing the state's residents.

Not only does the field cricket have a noxious odor and shrieking chirp, it has a tendency toward cannibalism so killing them only makes things worse.

Residents say the insects tend to congregate and feed on carcasses of their dead brethren, but they're covering every street, sidewalk, and building so there's no way to avoid the occasional crunch.

They're everywhere: Unusually large swarms of crickets are invading Oklahoma, covering streets, sidewalks, and businesses like this McDonalds

Info

Maine lobsters hit by shell-eating disease

© Beate Hoddevik Sunnset/IMRAmerican lobster, Homarus americanus.
An epizootic shell-eating bacteria that has infected the southern New England lobster (Homarus americanus) for years is fast spreading up north, a situation that causes concern in the shrimp sector in Maine.

The disease, previously confined to the south of New England and Long Island Sound, has baffled a group of scientists at the University of Rhode Island, who have been researching the subject for over a decade.

The disease was first noticed in 1996 by fisheries biologist Kathy Castro. Two years later, almost 18 per cent of the Rhode Island lobsters were infected with it.

"By 2010, a third of all lobsters had the disease, and the scary part was that 70 per cent of females with eggs had it," she said. "That scared me because that's the reproducing population."

So far, only an insignificant number of Maine lobsters seem to have it: only three in a thousand sampled lobsters were infected. But there are fears that if the disease spreads as fast as it did in the waters of Rhode Island, it will have a drastic impact on the important Maine shrimp industry.

Fish

Thousands of fish killed by waste from Chinese plant

Fu River Dead Fish
© Agence France-Presse โ€” Getty ImagesA resident cleared dead fish from the Fu River on Tuesday in Wuhan, China.
Hong Kong - Thousands of dead fish floating along a 19-mile stretch of a river in Hubei Province in central China were killed by pollutants emitted by a local chemical plant, provincial environmental officials said Wednesday.

Environmental protection officials said tests on water taken from the Fu River upstream from the metropolis of Wuhan revealed that extremely high levels of ammonia in the water were caused by pollution from a plant owned by the Hubei Shuanghuan Science and Technology Company.

The tests, conducted by environmental officials from Xiaogan City, revealed ammonia concentrations downstream from the plant as high as 196 milligrams per liter. The World Health Organization notes that naturally occurring ammonia appears in surface water at concentrations of about 12 milligrams per liter, while the similar figure for drinking water is around 0.02 milligrams per liter.

Info

New fungus species found killing salamanders

Salamander
© Frank Pasmans One of Europe's fire salamander species, Salamandra salamandra (shown), is under attack from a newly discovered fungus.
The rogue chytrid fungus that has devastated more than 200 kinds of amphibians worldwide has an accomplice: a second species that researchers have discovered attacking fire salamanders.

Populations of frogs, salamanders and their relatives have been dwindling worldwide, and in 1999 scientists identified a surprising contributing factor - the fungus now nicknamed Bd. This Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis was the first member of the phylum of fungi called chytrids found to attack, and often kill, vertebrates. Now genetic tests have identified a second vertebrate-killing chytrid, the newly named Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans.

Researchers found the new fungus when volunteers reported a population crash in a yellow-and-black fire salamander, Salamandra salamandra, in the Netherlands. Numbers of salamanders fell to 4 percent of previous population levels in just three years. But genetic tests failed to find Bd, leading An Martel of Ghent University's veterinary center in Merelbeke, Belgium and her colleagues to realize that they had found another chytrid.

Lab tests showed that fungus spores from a sick salamander caused the disease in another one, Martel and her colleagues report September 2 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"It looks very cruel," Martel says. Within days of infection, the fungus eats away the skin of a salamander until scientists need a microscope to see skin remnants. Martel can treat animals in captivity but what to do in the wild remains a puzzle. "You cannot treat an environment with an antifungal," she says.

Eye 2

Big snake found near Scarborough school, Toronto

Police believe the snake may be someone's pet that got loose

© TORONTO POLICE A Toronto police officer with the metre-long snakediscovered slithering Tuesday near Port Royal Public School in the Midland Ave. and Steeles Ave. E. area.
A roughly metre-long snake was discovered slithering Tuesday near Port Royal Public School in the Midland Ave. and Steeles Ave. E. area.

Toronto Police officer Stephane St. George tweeted a picture of the spotted snake at around 6 a.m.

"Pets are a responsibility. Prevent lost or escaped pets and contact the right agencies for unwanted pets," he wrote on Twitter.

Police said they believe the snake is not native to the area, is nonvenomous and that it may be someone's pet that got loose. They said they "very rarely" deal with these types of calls.

Toronto Animal Services was called in to remove the creature.

Eye 2

Houston man opens case of beer, finds snake

Marcus Forson drinks Bud Light at most of his parties, and last week was no exception.

"I buy them either 20, 18s or 12s," he said.

But a case of 18 he purchased last week held 19 items -- only 18 of which were beers. He reached for a cold one and was shocked to find a snake wrapped around the bottles.

"When I first opened the box, his head was like this and his head was in between my fingers, and I didn't know what it was at first," Forson said, showing us how he reached into the 18-pack. "Then I realized now what it was."

The beer bonus stowaway was a small snake which had died after apparently slinking around inside the box.

"I pulled it back and I brought out the snake; brought out the snake like this," Forson said.

At first, Forson thought he was the victim of a really good prank.

"I thought she was playing a joke on me and she had it inside the box," he said. "Like a rubber snake."

But a closer look, and the strong stench of dead snake, told him this serpent was real.

"There's no way I was going to drink the beer. It stunk bad," Forson said. "The snake was dead. The snake was ice cold. It's kind of shrunk up and the eyes are missing out of it."

Snowflake Cold

More than 25, 000 animals killed in southern Peru

Snow expected to continue for about 60 days. Humanitarian catastrophe unfolding.

1 Sep 13 - Snowfall in parts of the southern highlands of Peru has killed more than 25,000 animals and destroyed 137 homes, according to the National Institute of Civil Defense (Indeci).
(These are government numbers. I earlier reported that 250,000 alpacas had been killed in Peru. This is on top of the 70,000 animals killed in Bolivia.
The national government on Saturday declared a state of emergency in 250 localities of the country since the snow is expected to continue for about 60 days.

Until Saturday, there were a total of 5,247 people injured and 739 homes declared uninhabitable in Apurimac (south), Cusco (southeast), Ayacucho (South Central), Huancavelica (center), Puno (southeast) and Junin (center) .

The deputy director of humanitarian assistance and mobilization of the National Institute of Civil Defense (Indeci), Eric Cortijo, reported that this phenomenon affected more than 67,000 people. (I don't know what he meant by "affected.")

Eye 2

UK Pensioner shocked to find 4ft king snake under a table in her garden

• Carole Challis saw black and yellow snake when walking to greenhouse
  • Husband and neighbour captured it with garden rake and bin on its side
  • RSPCA says snake isn't native in Britain and believes it's an escaped pet
A 67-year-old woman had a shock when she discovered a 4ft-long snake at the end of her garden.

Carole Challis was heading down to her greenhouse in Derby when she saw the distinctive black and yellow reptile - believed to be a kingsnake - loitering under a table.

Her husband Pete and their neighbour managed to capture the snake by using a garden rake to coerce it into a bin on its side, before tipping it up and putting a heavy weight on top.

Investigation: An RSPCA inspector removes the black and yellow snake from Carole Challis's garden in Derby
'I screamed': Carole Challis was heading down to her greenhouse in Derby when she saw the distinctive black and yellow reptile - believed to be a kingsnake - loitering underneath a table