Welcome to Sott.net
Sun, 22 Oct 2017
The World for People who Think

Sinkholes

Arrow Down

Florida couple evacuated after large sinkhole opens in front of their home

© Doug Engle/Ocala Star-Banner
A Florida couple was evacuated from their mobile home after a large sinkhole opened up at an intersection just in front of their house.

The Ocala Star-Banner reports that the hole - estimated to be 25 feet (7meters) wide and 15 feet (4 meters) deep - opened early Tuesday at the large Rolling Greens subdivision.

Linda McCormick lives in a home in the same neighborhood and says she had noticed a dip in the road for weeks.

Arrow Down

30-foot sinkhole opens up in Northeast Kansas City, Missouri

© KCTV5
There's concern over a sinkhole near a popular walking area in Northeast Kansas City.

The sinkhole opened up in Kessler Park near the sidewalk at St. John and Benton Boulevard.

City investigators say the hole goes at least 30 feet deep. It comes right up to the edge of the sidewalk and the city has placed barricades up as a warning ot stay way.

A spokesperson with KC Water tells KCTV5 something went wrong with the storm water pipe, so the ground collapsed around it.

Residents in the area had not noticed the sinkhole before.

Arrow Down

Man swallowed by sinkhole in Apple Valley, California

Authorities, neighbors help rescue 75-year-old man from sinkhole in Apple Valley
Dennis Love of Apple Valley says he was just walking across the front yard to check on his Ocotillo tree when it happened.

"I was just standing like I am now, and the next thing I know I'm underwater," said 75-year-old Love.

It was a sinkhole that was more than 15-feet deep, just a few steps from his front door
on the 21000 block of Zuni Road in Apple Valley. It happened on Sunday around 2 p.m.

"I'm down two or three feet from the top, so I can't reach the top," said Love. He grabbed some exposed tree roots to keep from falling any farther down the hole. "I'm just hanging onto roots with water up to my chest and hollering for help."

His wife Sandy heard his cries for help, but at first she didn't know where they were coming from.

Attention

50-foot long sinkhole damages homes in New York mobile home park

© WWNY
A large sinkhole opened up in a Watertown mobile home community Monday afternoon during the heavy rain.

Around a half-dozen homes were damaged at Evergreen Park off LeRay Street.

Nearby Kelsey Creek overflowed, pushing water into the park, resulting in a sinkhole.

"This is the third time that this sink hole, the ground went in and this is the third time that this lady, she's had to go through this," said Beverly Dalton, who lives in the park.

It's estimated the hole is at least 50 feet long and has caused some of the homes to tilt and sink.

Comment: See also: Sinkholes: The groundbreaking truth

Arrow Down

Large sinkhole swallows 2 cars in Perth, Western Australia

A sinkhole has swallowed cars and caused major traffic delays in Perth
A sinkhole has swallowed cars and caused major traffic delays in Perth.

A water main burst causing the gaping hole on Kingsley Drive in Kingsley at about 3am on Sunday.

The water was knee deep in some areas as the sinkhole swallowed two cars, 9 News reported.

One property was completely flooded and many others suffered water damage, authorities said.

Arrow Down

25-foot sinkhole open up in Bengaluru, India

When residents of a private society in Bengaluru's Koramangala area stepped out for their morning walks today, they were greeted by a giant sinkhole.

Curious (and concerned) residents gathered around as they took photos of the sinkhole inside the society. Some did so from their balconies.

At least 25-foot-long and 10-foot-wide, the sinkhole appeared on a driveway used by residents and it was big enough to swallow a nearly 8-foot-high boundary wall and a transformer.

Images of a collapsed wall showed excavation work at an adjacent construction site of a private company, which many residents claimed could be the reason.

Arrow Down

Rolls-Royce falls into large sinkhole in Harbin, China

A Rolls-Royce Phantom fell into a massive sinkhole in northern China's Harbin on October 1
An unfortunate driver had his luxurious Rolls-Royce swallowed up by a sinkhole in northern China.

The driver claimed that an enormous pit appeared when he was about to start his car at a traffic junction on October 1.

The driver was reported to have no injuries and the car was pulled up by a crane later.

The driver told Pear Video that he was driving his Rolls-Royce Phantom on the road in Harbin of Heilongjiang Province.

'I was waiting for the green lights and the second I manoeuvred, the road surface started to collapse,' said the driver.

He also admitted that his Rolls-Royce Phantom cost about 5,000,000 yuan (£565,000).

Attention

Two people have close encounters with a San Antonio,Texas sinkhole

The San Antonio Water System says a water main break that resulted in a sinkhole on the city's Southeast side was most likely caused by all this rain.

"The adrenalin was like Jeanette you need to get out, you need to do whatever you can," said San Antonio resident Jeanette Berlanga.

Jeanette Berlanga says she runs with her boyfriend every morning at Lion's park. Friday, she says that run turned into a very scary one. She says while running she fell into the edge of a large hole.

"My full body went in and I didn't touch the ground, so I didn't know how deep that was," said Berlanga.

Arrow Down

Sinkhole swallows home in Apopka, Florida; 2nd hole appears on same road 2 days later

© WFTV9
Just days after a sinkhole partially swallowed a home in Apopka, a second sinkhole has formed on the same road.

Orange County Fire Rescue was called Thursday to a home at 517 West Kelly Park Road in Apopka.

The 30 by 30-foot sinkhole is about 100 feet from the home, officials said.

A separate sinkhole formed Tuesday at 222 West Kelly Park Road, just a few homes away from Thursday's sinkhole.
© News13/Arnie Girard

Comment: See also: Irma's storm water causes massive washout in Apopka, Florida

Boat

Sinkhole opens in San Diego, gushes water onto Interstate 8

© 7NBC
A sinkhole opened up on a major highway in San Diego, sending water and mud into several lanes and shutting down the main east-west artery during lunchtime.

The California Highway Patrol issued a SigAlert for eastbound Interstate 8 in the Hotel Circle area of Mission Valley after a pipe burst. Several hours later, around 6 p.m., officials began to open up lanes.

While San Diego City water crews were working on repairing the break in the pipe, Caltrans crews were on the scene assessing the damage to the road. There was no information on how long the closure would last.

Comment: See also: Sinkholes: The groundbreaking truth