Welcome to Sott.net
Wed, 17 Oct 2018
The World for People who Think

Sinkholes

Seismograph

Giant cracks appear on banks of river in Argentina - Evacuations ordered

crack argentina

giant crack argentina diamante, giant crack argentina diamante video, giant crack argentina diamante picture, giant crack argentina diamante october 2018
The huge fissure could collapse at any time.
There is a giant crack growing in Diamante in Entre Ríos, Argentina, which may finally swallow the entire town. Many have already evacuated their homes fearing a total collapse. Here some pretty impressive images of the dramatic situation experienced by the inhabitants of this small town. Have a prayer for them.

Geologists are worried and officials of Diamante have already evacuated 40 houses in the city.

The earth crack is 130 meters long and between 30 and 40 deep. The crack extends along the ravine of the Paraná River, so it could lead to a collapse that destroys everything with it, including houses. Officials say the crack is getting bigger everyday. The mayor Lenico Aranda advised the population to evacuate the area because some "are at risk of losing their life, as the large crack could destroy a few houses in the next hours or days"

Comment: While the worrying cracks may be related to activity documented back in the 1970's, that doesn't explain why all of a sudden residents are under threat - or why this phenomena is occurring all over the planet: Sinkholes: The groundbreaking truth

See also: For more, check out SOTT radio's:Behind the Headlines: Earth changes in an electric universe: Is climate change really man-made?

And SOTT's monthly documentary: SOTT Earth Changes Summary - September 2018: Extreme Weather, Planetary Upheaval, Meteor Fireballs

Arrow Down

Two people die and two others are missing after being swallowed by massive sinkhole in China

Two people were killed in south-west China's Sichuan province after a massive sinkhole swallowed four pedestrians on Sunday afternoon. Two others remained missing

Two people were killed in south-west China's Sichuan province after a massive sinkhole swallowed four pedestrians on Sunday afternoon. Two others remained missing
Two people were killed in south-west China after a massive sinkhole swallowed four pedestrians on Sunday afternoon.

The gaping hole, measuring an area of nearly two square metres (21.5 square feet), appeared after the tiled pavement collapsed outside a local hospital in Dazhou city, Sichuan province at 2:30pm, swallowing the four victims.

Rescuers were still searching for a man and his grandson in the two metre (6.5 foot) -deep sinkhole on Monday.

Arrow Down

'I was going to be buried alive': Man recounts terrifying experience trapped in sinkhole in Montfort ,Wisconsin

sinkhole
Brandon Post was working outside his home in Montfort when the earth collapsed beneath his feet.

"I just started screaming, 'Somebody help me! Somebody help me!' It was the only thing I could do and hope and pray that eventually someone would hear me," Post said.

The sinkhole is about 3 feet away from his garage. It looks small from the outside, but if you look closer into the hole, you can't even see the bottom.

Post said he fell about 25 feet down before he caught himself against the walls. Shocked and scared, he screamed for help.

He said, "I was yelling and screaming for 20 to 25 minutes. It was just to the point where I was like, 'Do I just give up and just sit here and wait for my girlfriend to come out of the house? Or do I keep screaming?' My voice was so hoarse. I couldn't breathe," he said.

Attention

Gaping fissures and sinkhole open up around school in Ireland, children evacuated

ireland fissure sinkhole
Nearly 100 children were evacuated from their classrooms on September 24, 2018 when a huge sinkhole opened up at Drumgossatt National School, near Carrickmacross in Monaghan, Ireland.

The collapse of a disused Gypsum mine in the region has been cited as the cause of the subsidence.

While the school was closed immediately, and an appeal was made for parents to collect their children, there were no injuries.

Comment: Why is it that all of a sudden, all over the world, the ground has become so unstable? Those mines have been there for decades, if not centuries, so what has changed? And it's also important to note, that for many of these incidents, there are no mines in the vicinity. For more information on the changes we're seeing on our planet, check out SOTT radio's: Behind the Headlines: Earth changes in an electric universe: Is climate change really man-made?

Bizarro Earth

Football club grounds closed due to sinkhole in County Monaghan, Ireland

sinkhole ireland football club
© Raidió Teilifís Éireann
Aerial view of sinkhole at Maghercloone Mitchell Football Club
Several sinkholes have opened up at a Gaelic football club in County Monaghan, severely damaging pitches and causing cracks in the clubhouse.

The sinkholes are thought to have been caused by the partial collapse of an old mine beneath Magheracloone Mitchells GAA club.

Large fissures in the pitch and cracks in the clubhouse are evident in pictures posted on social media.

Comment: Irish Broadcaster RTÉ adds:
An investigation is under way after part of a disused mine collapsed in Co Monaghan.

In a statement issued this afternoon, Monaghan County Council said the subsidence occurred overnight and that a section of the main Carrickmacross/Kingscourt road (R179) will remain closed over the next 48 hours with diversions in place.

A geological team is due to arrive at the site tomorrow morning to determine the scale of the subsidence and the risk of a recurring event in the area, the statement added.

Gyproc, which runs a gypsum mine in Co Monaghan, confirmed that it is investigating the case.

The company said it is still assessing the current situation with the assistance of geological teams to ascertain both the reason for, and the extent of, the subsidence.

Arrow Down

'The whole beach is gone!' Huge 7.5metre deep sinkhole suddenly appears at same location in Queensland, Australia as one in 2015

A sinkhole has appeared at Inskip Point beach, about three years after one appeared near the same spot

A sinkhole has appeared at Inskip Point beach, about three years after one appeared near the same spot
A large chunk of a popular Queensland beach has sunk into the sea leaving people fearing for the worst.

It is the second time in three years a sinkhole has appeared at Inskip Point beach. In 2015 a car, caravan, a camper trailer and tents were swallowed by the sinkhole, ABC reported.

Double Island Point Fishing Charters operator Greg Pearce was heading out on a fishing charter on Monday morning when he noticed the part of the picturesque beach missing.

The sinkhole looked about 7.5m deep, he told Daily Mail Australia.

'Yesterday looked perfectly normal, people were sunbaking. This morning when I came out you could see there'd been a fair bit of erosion.'

'The whole beach, where the day before was dry land, was gone.'

Comment: Details of the 2015 incident: Enormous sinkhole swallows portion of beach and campsite in Queensland, Australia

Arrow Down

Massive sinkhole opens at little league field in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania

sinkhole
A giant hole opened up late last month at a Little League complex in Schuylkill County.

The huge sinkhole developed at the Minersville Little League complex near a popular walking path and set of bleachers.

Even though the state is saying it's just a sinkhole, people who live in the area are skeptical given the borough's mining history.

"I looked and I thought, 'Holy crow! There's a massive hole right there.' I walked over, looked down and thought, 'Wow, that is this thing,'" said borough manager Robert Mahalchick.

Attention

Kilometers-long cracks dry up water reserves in Kerala, India, following worst flooding in a century

kerala crack
© Manorama
Manjeri assistant geologist Subhesh Thottiyil and V Amrita inspecting the crack.
A total of 491 people were killed in monsoon rains in Kerala since May 29. But, now the flood-hit state has to face a new problem. Giant earth cracks are drying up rivers and wells. Geologists were sent to investigate the strange post-flood phenomenon.

Pamba River is now almost dry after overflowing during the devastating monsoon rains in Kerala since May 2018.

A series of issues including soaring mercury level, unprecedented dip in water level of rivers, sudden drying-up of wells, depletion of groundwater reserves and mass perishing of earthworms have caused widespread concern in various parts of Kerala after the devastating deluge last month.

The flood-battered Wayanand district, known for its rich biodiversity, recently experienced an unprecedented mass die-off of earthworms, causing concern among farmers who attributed it to the rapid drying up of earth and change in soil structure.

Comment: According to this video, this has been going on in Kerala since at least May 2018, which is when the monsoon rains were reported to have begun:

All around the world bodies of water are disappearing below ground due to earth movements: And below you can see just some of the monster sinkholes, gaping fissures and devatating landslides reported recently:

Arrow Down

Large sinkhole opens in downtown Terre Haute, Indiana

SINKHOLE
A large sinkhole has opened in pavement near an intersection in downtown Terre Haute.

The sinkhole appeared Wednesday after a Terre Haute Fire Department ladder truck drove over the pavement on Ohio Street at the intersection of Fourth Street.

Our partners at the Tribune-Star report firefighters heard the collapse and stopped to check out the cause of the noise.

Terre Haute Police sent a notice via social media indicating the intersection was closed.

Arrow Down

Giant sinkholes forming in backyard of new Hagerstown, Maryland neighborhood

sinkhole
Some homeowners in Hagerstown are finding themselves in deep trouble thanks to the recent appearance of some rather large sinkholes.

Seth Linde says he and his wife discovered a massive sinkhole in his backyard on Saturday. His home is in the Rosewood Village community and his home was built in the Fall of 2016.

Linde says his wife nearly fell into the growing sinkhole.

They called the non-emergency dispatch number and responding emergency officials were concerned by the size of the hole.

"Everybody's afraid to even put any tools down there. I estimated it to be about 15 feet deep," said Linde.