Sinkholes
S

Bizarro Earth

Menominee County Shakeup was an Earthquake, says Tech Researcher

© UnknownClose up shows crack from Menominee County earthquake on October 4.
That shaking and loud noise experienced recently in Menominee County of Upper Michigan was indeed an earthquake, albeit a small one, according to a Michigan Tech researcher.

"The large crack and ridge were created most probably by a magnitude 1 or 2 earthquake," said Wayne Pennington, chair of geological and mining engineering and sciences, of the events that took place Monday, October 4.

The ridge and crack are 361 feet long, and the ridge is 4 to 5 feet high and 20 to 30 feet wide at its largest point, Pennington said after visiting the site. The crack is 2 feet wide and 4 to 5 feet deep at its largest point. Trees are tipped away from the crack at about 14 degrees on either side, showing that the surface is now tipping, having formed the ridge.

Bizarro Earth

Large crevice confuses Michigan residents

A large crevice, stretching almost two football fields, suddenly appeared in the woods near Birch Creek

Menominee Township -- It's a geological phenomenon that has both authorities and Menominee Township residents scratching their heads. A large crevice, stretching almost two football fields, suddenly appeared in the woods near Birch Creek earlier this week.

"I don't know really. It just looks like a giant crack in the ground," said young spectator and local resident, Ashley Armbrust. "I don't know what happened."

The 150-yard crevice is puzzling local residents. Some areas are up to five feet deep and a few feet across. The ground even rose up several feet in some areas around the crevice, causing trees to lean on both sides. Like the spectators, property owners feel the whole thing is just confusing.

"I told the kids we had an earthquake and they laughed at me, then after they looked at it, they say I don't know," said property owner, Eileen Heider.

Bizarro Earth

Sinkhole Forms Under Pool With Family Inside

Sinkhole in Pool
© Terra USA
A Cheektowaga, New York family was surprised to see their pool water completely drained when a sinkhole formed just below them as they were swimming. Watch the interview with the family and see footage of the sinkhole.
As the family swam, the water in their family pool rushed out filling the yard and into a sinkhole right beneath their pool.

The family managed to get out safely, but now misses their pool. The town where the family resides has sent out an engineer, a pool code enforcer and a sewer inspector. The sinkhole is believed to be an abandoned well or septic tank.

Arrow Down

Miraculous escape for driver as car falls 20ft into sinkhole at traffic lights during storm

© APGaping hole: A Cadillac Escalade sits at the bottom of a sinkhole in Milwaukee after a section of road collapsed during torrential rain yesterday
He's thanking his lucky stars that he was pulled out alive.

Yet, miraculously, the driver of this SUV only suffered minor cuts and bruises when his vehicle plummeted 20ft into a sinkhole as he approached traffic lights.

Lance Treankler was driving his black Cadillac Escalade during torrential rains in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, yesterday, when the road opened up beneath him.

'The road just went out from under me,' Mr Treankler said.

'When I landed, my head snapped back. I went unconscious for a few seconds.

'When I looked up, I saw water run over me.'

Mr Treankler was rescued by a passer-by, 46-year-old Mark Pawlik, who was walking along when he saw the vehicle disappear and a traffic light land on its roof.

Mr Pawlik said: 'The Escalade just went "wham". Everything went down.

Comment: Tropical storm leaves more than 115 dead and a huge sinkhole in Central America

July: Florida Sinkhole Swallows Car, Endangers Condominium

Cloud Lightning

Heavy Wisconsin Rains Close Milwaukee Airport

sinkhole
© Mike ThielA SUV sits in a sink hole Friday, July 23, 2010, in Milwaukee. Powerful thunderstorms caused widespread flooding in southern Wisconsin, closing down Milwaukee's airport and opening up a giant sink hole, and two people were hospitalized after being struck by lightning, authorities said.
Stranded travelers weary from an overnight stay in a Milwaukee airport were hoping to be allowed to fly out Friday after powerful overnight storms pounded southeastern Wisconsin, halting flights and causing widespread flooding.

Storm water flooded the runways at Mitchell International Airport during the Thursday night storm. Airport officials said they hoped to clear away leftover debris and reopen the runways on Friday, but further disruptions were possible because of a new round of showers and thunderstorms that was expected to pass though the region.

Brian Kulpin, a spokesman for Reno-Tahoe International Airport, said he doesn't expect that the Milwaukee closure will affect air traffic in Reno.