Animals
S

Eye 2

Shock as large snake pops out of drain in Cleethorpes, UK

A large black snake which popped up out of a drain in a back garden in Cleethorpes - in front of a shocked Cleethorpes family - may not be the only one!

The Peck family were shocked to see the Mexican King Snake slither out of the grate covering a drain at their home in Mill Place.

FRIGHTENING: Linda Peck discovered a snake sliding out of her Cleethorpes home's garden drain. Fortunately her son Simon and husband Geoff came to the rescue with a box to trap it.
Reptile experts say the constrictor snake - which can grow up to 4ft long - may have hatched from a nest of eggs, which could have been laid in the sewers of Grimsby and Cleethorpes.

Petrified Linda Peck said: "My husband Geoff and I walked past our back door, which is made of glass, and saw what looked like a very large slug on the drain.

Eye 2

Escaped snake spotted outside home in Watford, UK

Escaped snake spotted outside Oxhey home
A crowd gathered outside an Oxhey home yesterday, taking photographs of an escaped metre-long snake.

The red, black and yellow striped reptile was spotted outside a house in Grover Road.

Peter Trescak, a witness and Grover Road resident, said: "We found out that the snake is most probably a milk snake but it can also be a deadly coral snake, which resemble each other."

Police were contacted and a Rural Operational Support Team with special equipment arrived at the scene to remove the snake.

Mr Trescak added: "It was definitely a very exciting day for a normally quiet street."

Wolf

Police kill starving bear roaming street in Russia's Far East

© RIA Novosti. Alexei DanitschewPolice Kill Bear Roaming Street in Russia’s Far East
Police have killed a bear that was roaming through a city in Russia's Far East and threatening locals, the Interior Ministry said Sunday.

The bear was spotted by residents of Nakhodka, in Russia's Primorye Territory, on Sunday. "The animal appeared to act aggressively and posed danger to people," a local citizen told police.

The bear was located by police on Kirov street shortly after the initial report. A police officer shot the bear to "neutralize" it, the ministry said in a statement. No one was injured in the incident.

Black Cat

Girl killed, eaten by leopard in Sohel Dev sanctuary, India

© BhagyaMani, Wikimedia CommonsFemale Indian leopard
In growing incidents of leopard attacks in the Terai belt of Uttar Pradesh, a 10-yr-old girl was killed and partially eaten by a leopard in Sohel Dev Wildlife Sanctuary.

She was dragged to a dense forest by the feline from her house in Maitahwa village of Balrampur district on Tuesday evening and her body was found two km away in Bhadwar village bordering dense forests on Wednesday.

Divisional forest officer (DFO) Javed Akhtar said, "As the ill-fated girl Mamta entered her house along with her sister Suneeta (13), the leopard leaped on them, caught her by neck and vanished in the nearby forest in the darkness of night."

By the time villagers reached the spot, the leopard had disappeared with its prey. On being informed, forest ranger of Barahwa Manoj Kumar Singh reached the village with his team. The forest department team, along with villagers and Sahashtra Seema Bal (SSB) jawans, searched for the girl but could not find her on Tuesday night.

On Wednesday, the partially eaten body of the girl and her clothes were found in the forest about 400 metres from Bhadwar village. Pug marks of the leopard were also found around the spot, Akhtar said.

Arrow Down

Violent raccoon attack sends dog, owner to hospital

A violent raccoon attack in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood left both a dog and its owner in need of medical attention.

Jason Campbell says he let his dog out into their fenced backyard on Tuesday night, just like he does every evening.

He heard the confrontation between his pet and an aggressive raccoon even before he saw it.

"I heard him squealing, and I heard the raccoon hissing," he said. "And I was like Alfie, Alfie, get inside!"

His terrier mix, Alfie, quickly ran inside. That's when Jason says the raccoon followed, and then turned on him.

Question

Tails and manes cut from ponies in latest attack targeting horses in Ipswich

Horse
© Ipswich StarA horse in Beck Row had its tail hacked - similar to a recent incident in Hoo, near Wickham Market, when two ponies were targeted.
It is the latest in a number of similar incidents in which animals have been targeted.

The most recent happened at a farm in Hoo, near Wickham Market, between 9pm on Saturday, August 17 and 7am the following day.

A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said because horses were left in open fields it was sometimes difficult to catch offenders in the act.

However she urged anyone who spotted any suspicious activity to report it immediately.

"It is quite likely that in most cases a vehicle may have been used to get to more rural locations," she said. "In this incident it looks like someone had their headlights on.

Arrow Down

Hunter shoots the first endangered wolf seen in Kentucky in 150 years

Dead Wolf_2
© KentuckyHunting.net
When you see something rare - Lady Gaga; the blue-footed booby - it's customary not to shoot it. Unless you're the dickish hunter who shot the first endangered gray wolf to appear in Kentucky in 150 years:
The first documented free-ranging wolf in Kentucky's modern history was shot and killed by an unsuspecting hunter, state wildlife officials have announced.
The hunter, 31-year-old James Troyer, killed the wolf back in March, but the Department of Agriculture only recently confirmed it was indeed a federally endangered gray wolf, not a German Shepherd like officials originally thought.
"I was like - wow - that thing was big!" [Troyer] recalled. "It looked like a wolf, but who is going to believe I shot a wolf?"
Gee, I don't know. How odd that something that looked like a wolf turned out to be a wolf. </Daria voice>

Question

More than 100 elk found dead in northeastern New Mexico

State biologists are trying to unravel a mystery of what killed a herd of elk in northeastern New Mexico.

More than 100 elk found were dead on a ranch about 20 miles north of Las Vegas this week.

Sky News 13 flew over the gruesome discovery on the sprawling 75,000-acre Buena Vista Ranch near Mora.

The elk weren't shot, so the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish is investigating just what caused the deaths.

Their top suspicion: something called Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease, or EHD. The often-fatal disease is caused by insect bites.

"With EHD, an elk could get a fever," said Game and Fish spokesperson Rachel Shockley. "It's usually a pretty fast illness, and up to eight to 36 hours later the animals go into shock, and then they die."

Question

Eighty sea turtles wash up dead on the coast of Guatemala

Eighty dead sea turtles have been recorded since the first week of July on the country's southeastern beaches

© Michael Patrick O'Neill/AlamyAmong the stranded sea turtles were leatherbacks, a critically endangered species.
An assortment of marine animals and birds reside along the black volcanic sand beaches of Guatemala's Pacific coast, but lately both residents and visitors on the southeast beaches of the country have observed a tragic event - the stranding of dead sea turtles.

Eighty dead sea turtles have been recorded since the first week of July on the beaches of La Barrona, Las Lisas, Chapeton and Hawaii according to a statement released by the Wildlife Rescue and Conservation Association (ARCAS), a Guatemalan non-profit organization formed by citizens in 1989.

"The entire coast has historically been a significant nesting area for olive ridley and leatherback sea turtles," Colum Muccio, ARCAS administrative director, told mongabay.com. While not known to nest in Guatemala, east pacific green turtles forage in estuaries and mangrove waterways along the Pacific coast.

Eye 2

Fairfax, Virginia boy steps on copperhead snake in doorway

A Fairfax Station boy is undergoing emergency life-saving treatment at Inova Children's Hospital after he stepped out his door and into the fangs of a copperhead snake.

Michael Alford, 12, ran out of his house around 10:30 p.m. Wednesday wearing sandals. He says he stepped on something and when he lifted his foot, a snake tore into it.
© Kara AllanThis snake bit the boy in Falls Church.
"[I] opened the door and I stepped on a snake, a copperhead. I don't know whether I stepped on his tail or his head, but I took my foot off and he bit me."

Alford's mother asked him to run to the car to get a token. What he came back with left her frightened and frantic.

"He just ran up the steps and looked at me and was like 'A snake just bit me!' so I was a little freaked out," Kara Allan says.

The family came to Inova Children's, which is equipped to administer the series of anti-venom shots. Dr. Minal Amin says copperhead bites can be serious. They have seen several in the past few weeks at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

"We would recommend for someone to get away from the snake and elevate the extremity and come to the nearest hospital," Amin says.

Meanwhile, Alford watches the swelling, which is slowly receding.

"I'm doing better. The anti-venom is pushing it back to where it started," he says.