Animals
S

Bizarro Earth

Tons of dead fish discovered in Rio lake

Dead Fish
© Renata Brito/Associated Press
Rio De Janeiro - About 10 tons of dead fish have been discovered in a Rio de Janeiro lake that sits next to the city's future Olympic park.

Environmental officials are investigating the fish kill. Biologists say it was likely caused by raw sewage making its way into the water, as has happened before.

Rio has many problems with water pollution. Many of the waterways near where Olympic events are to be held have been found to be polluted.

Rio's Cedae sewage company says in a Thursday statement that all of its treatment plants are operating normally in the region where the dead fish were found. But it says it's sending out teams to see if any pipes are leaking.

Source: Associated Press

Arrow Down

50,000 abandoned dogs roaming streets of Detroit in packs

Stray Dogs
© Associated PressThousands of stray dogs, including the one in this image, are reportedly roaming the streets of Detroit.
Packs of wild, abandoned dogs are roaming the streets of Detroit, leaving city officials overwhelmed at the prospect of handing an issue that raises both animal rights and safety concerns.

"It was almost post-apocalyptic, where there are no businesses, nothing except people in houses and dogs running around," the Humane Society of the United States director Amanda Arrington told Bloomberg News about a recent visit to Detroit. "The suffering of animals goes hand in hand with the suffering of people."

Bloomberg reports that packs of the dogs have been spotted in groups as large as 20. In one case, Detroit police officer Lapez Moore said the city's animal-control unit recently found several of the dogs inside a flooded basement where thieves had torn out the building's water pipes.

"The dogs were having a pool party," Moore said. "We went in and fished them out."

But the reality of the situation is more dire than an impromptu animal pool party. Local shelters say they are forced to euthanize about 70 percent of the dogs that are brought it, and their facilities are overwhelmed by the sheer amount of abandoned and stray animals.

Bizarro Earth

Deformed calf 'pretty unusual'

Deformed Calf
© Robert Charles/Fairfax NZALL MESSED UP: A deformed calf still-born on Neil Davy's Urenui farm had one head, four ears, 2 torsos and 8 legs.
A stillborn calf is not something that usually sparks much comment - unless it has one head, two bodies, four ears and eight legs.

When Urenui sharemilker Neil Davy went to help one of his cows having problems calving on Monday night, he quickly realised something was not quite right.

"All I could see was two feet, so I put my hand in and felt a short nose. Then I realised the head was the wrong size compared to the rest of the body."

He pulled out an extra leg, but thinking it was twins he tried to push it back in, he said.
"It was hard going. I was up to my elbows in lube and calf goo, sweat coming off my forehead. It's not nice to see a cow in distress."

If he hadn't been there, the cow would have died.

Info

U.S. Dolphin deaths rise to 300; Cause still a mystery

© Dorothy EdwardsTrained responders examine a dead male dolphin on Ocean View Beach in Norfolk, Virginia, on August 1.
The spike in bottlenose dolphin deaths this summer is showing no signs of stopping: Nearly 300 of the marine mammals have died along the East Coast as of August 20, according to the federal government. (Related: "Why Are Dolphins Dying on East Coast? Experts Alarmed.")

The high death toll, covering an area that stretches from New York to Virginia, has been labeled an "unusual mortality event," and the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has experts scrambling to figure out what's going on.

Based on the rapid increase in dead bodies washing ashore, and the broad geographic reach, "an infectious pathogen is at the top of the list of potential causes," according to NOAA's website.

"We realize that people are very concerned and anxious to learn what we know about the dolphin deaths that have been occurring along the mid-Atlantic coast over the past few weeks," Maggie Mooney-Seus, a spokesperson for NOAA Fisheries, told National Geographic by email.

Bizarro Earth

Wolves kill 176 sheep near Victor, greatest loss recorded in Idaho

Dead Sheep
© Idaho Wildlife Services
Idaho Falls -- A southeastern Idaho ranch lost 176 sheep as the animals ran in fear from two wolves that chased through a herd of about 2,400 animals south of Victor.

Sheepherders for the Siddoway Sheep Co. heard the wolves at about 1 a.m. Saturday, but didn't know the extent of the damage until they saw the sheep piled up on each other at daybreak.

J.C. Siddoway of Terreton says almost all of the sheep died from asphyxiation. About 10 died of bite wounds and one was partially consumed.

Idaho Wildlife Services State Director Todd Grimm says it's the greatest loss by wolves ever recorded in one instance in the state. About nine years ago, wolves killed 105 sheep on one night.

Grimm says a dozen wolves have been removed from the Pine Creek area this year.

Fish

Thousands of dead fish floating in Pascagoula

Thousands of fish are dead in Bayou Casotte forcing the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality to close the bayou and part of the Mississippi Sound. MDEQ is also advising people to not eat any seafood from the area until further notice.

Mississippi Phosphates said a release of water from the plant led to the fish kill.

Owner of CC's Bait Shop Charles Williamson Jr. said, "If I continue taking hits like that, I can't stay in business."

He said every time the water is contaminated, his business suffers. This time Williamson lost 65 pounds of shrimp.

"It will take me about a week to get my stock back up because we haven't been catching a lot of shrimp," Williamson said. "So all that shrimp I had was four days worth of work. That's four days of burning diesel, four days paying help."

Five months ago another fish kill forced MDEQ to again close the boat ramps, causing him to lose about $5,000 in bait and business.

"It has just been a hard, uphill battle," Williamson said.

Question

Flocks of birds found dead in public water reservoirs in Baligubadle, Somalia.

The District Officials of Baligubadle of Hawd Region, issued a public awareness message to district-residents to refrain from drinking water from the public water reservoirs were flocks of birds have been discovered dead

These birds, which are a kind new to Somaliland, are believed to have been on their migration-and, somehow resulted in this unfortunate circumstance. The Somali-State of Ethiopia also issued a similar message to residents of Harshin, where a similar occurrence took place.

In an exclusive interview with the Mayor of Baligubadle, he spoke on the flock of birds found dead in the water reservoirs.
"We contacted the Ministry of Health as well as The Ministry of Livestock, there have also been public awareness messages on Radio Hargeisa urging citizens to refrain from drinking from those specific locations".
The Mayor of Baligubadle also added that the number of birds found in the reservoir were of tremendous numbers.

Bizarro Earth

Unprecedented: Sockeye salmon at dire historic low on Canada's Pacific coast - "We think something happened in the ocean" - "The elders have never seen anything like this at all"

Sockeye Range
© NMFS Office of Protected Resources
Aboriginal people in British Columbia who rely on Skeena River sockeye are facing some extremely difficult decisions as sockeye salmon returns plunge to historic lows.

Lake Babine Chief Wilf Adam was on his way to Smithers, B.C., on Monday for a discussion about whether to entirely shut down the food fishery on Lake Babine, something he said would be drastic and unprecedented [...]

Last month, the department noted returns for the Skeena River sockeye run were dire. [...]

[Mel Kotyk, North Coast area director for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans] said department scientists don't know why the return numbers are so low. "[...] we think something happened in the ocean."

"[...] We've never seen anything like this in all these years I've done this. I've asked the elders and they have never seen anything like this at all." [said Chief Wilf Adam]

Fish

Pacific herring in Canada bleeding from eyeballs, faces, fins, tails, baffle biologist: 'I've never seen fish looking this bad'

herring
© Alexandra Morton via Vancouver 24 hrs
The Globe and Mail, Aug 13, 2013 Independent fisheries scientist Alexandra Morton is raising concerns about a disease she says is spreading through Pacific herring causing fish to hemorrhage. [...] "Two days ago I did a beach seine on Malcolm Island [near Port McNeill on northern Vancouver Island] and I got approximately 100 of these little herring and they were not only bleeding from their fins, but their bellies, their chins, their eyeballs. [...] "It was 100 per cent ... I couldn't find any that weren't bleeding to some degree. And they were schooling with young sockeye [salmon]"

Bug

More than one million more bees die off near Hanover, Canada

There is more troubling news for beekeepers.

Another die-off has a local producer sounding the alarm, and provincial inspectors have stepped in to get to the bottom of the issue.

Beekeeper Dave Schuit estimates that 1.3 million bees have died in his yard north of Hanover in the past 24 hours. Schuit says he has seen this before, and it looks like the bees have been poisoned

"I believe it's in the soil, the neonicotinoids," says Schuit of Saugeen Country Honey. "I believe it's in the water and it's in the pollen."

Neonicotinoids are extremely toxic to bees, even in tiny amounts. They are now widely used to protect corn, soy and wheat seed. The pesticide is water-soluble and persists in the environment for several years. Neonicotinoids were recently banned in Europe while more research is being done.

According to the Ontario Bee Keepers Association, the number of acute poisonings like this is mounting this summer and the total number of incidents is expected to surpass last year when 240 were reported. Laboratory testing confirmed the presence of neonicotinoids in 80 per cent of those cases.