Welcome to Sott.net
Tue, 21 Aug 2018
The World for People who Think

Puppet Masters
Map

Bad Guys

The Cover-Up, Not the Crime, Brings Down James Murdoch

Image
© Press Association via AP Images
James Murdoch (left) and Rupert Murdoch giving evidence to the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee in the House of Commons in central London on the News of the World phone-hacking scandal. James Murdoch is to step down as executive chairman of News International to focus on expanding international TV businesses, the company announced today.
Frontline's Lowell Bergman appeared on The Takeaway this morning to reflect on the news that James Murdoch, son of media titan Rupert, stepped down from his role as CEO of News International, the British press arm of News Corporation. The younger Murdoch has slowly been transitioning to the company's New York offices.

"I don't think it's really that significant a move, he's been back in the United States for quite a while," says Bergman. "He's never really expressed, apparently, that much interest in the newspaper business. His real interest is in BSkyB TV and other broadcasting ... aspects of News Corporation."

2 + 2 = 4

Paedophiles, Violent Thugs and Drug Dealers Apply to Become Teachers

Paedophiles, violent thugs and drug dealers were among more than 4,000 offenders who applied to become teachers last year despite having almost 10,000 criminal convictions between them, figures showed today.

Criminal records checks even revealed four previous convictions for child sex offences, including one for a sex attack on a girl under 13, as well as three convictions for assaulting or neglecting a child.

The Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) said that to date checks had helped stop more than 130,000 unsuitable people from working with children and many of the offences would lead to an automatic ban on the offenders becoming teachers.

2 + 2 = 4

Sarkozy & Co, How Many Children Did You Kill This Night ?

Michel Collon, investigative reporter, in Libya shows what "collateral damage". really means...


Comment: How soon we forget.

For more information on the current Sarko situation, see these Sott articles:

Toulouse Attacks: The Official Story of the Death of Mohamed Merah is a Lie

Sarkozy's Backers To Use Toulouse Attacks To Steal French Election - UPDATE!

French Teacher Urges Minute's Silence For Murdered Patsy


Bad Guys

Exclusive Footage of "Eddie" Cadaver Dog at Haut de la Garenne

Image
© Unknown
Former Deputy Chief Police Officer Mr. Lenny Harper.
Once more VFC is able to bring its readers/viewers another, what we are told is, a world exclusive.

With the assistance of Former Senior Investigating Officer of the Jersey Child Abuse Investigation, and Former Deputy Chief Police Officer Mr. Lenny Harper, we are able to bring you exclusive video footage of arguably the world's most renowned Cadaver Dog "Eddie" not only working at the crime scene of the Former Jersey Children's Home, Haute de la Garenne, but alerting to the scent of human death.

Not a great deal of these Cadaver dogs work has been reported in the State Media, other than to discredit them, so we asked Mr. Harper to document for us just exactly what is happening in the video below, what does a Cadaver dog do? How significant to the investigation the dog was? What, if anything did he (the dog) find?The results, it has to be said were astounding. Mr. Harper agreed to our request and once again we thank him for his commitment to the truth and justice.

Comment: For more information on the background of the Haut de la Garenne case on the island of Jersey (UK), see this Sott link:

Jersey Abuse Case Exposes Vast Conspiracy


Pistol

Man in Afghan Army Uniform Shoots 2 NATO Troops in Afghanistan

Kabul - A man wearing an Afghan army uniform killed two NATO troops in southern Afghanistan on Monday, military officials said, the latest in a string of shootings that have undermined trust between allies.

The gunman was killed by NATO troops shortly after he opened fire on a group of foreign troops, the military said in a statement. A military spokesman said officials were investigating whether the man was an Afghan soldier or an infiltrator wearing the uniform. No other details were released.

So-called "green on blue" shootings have become a rising threat this year, following a series of incidents that have created distrust between Afghan forces and their international coalition partners. The most significant was last month's burning of Korans by U.S. troops. The episode sparked violent riots and prompted the Taliban to call on Afghan security forces to open fire on foreign troops.

No Entry

France Will Bar Muslim Cleric

Sheik Yusuf al-Qaradawi
© unknown
Sheik Yusuf al-Qaradawi
The French government will deny entry to Sheik Yusuf al-Qaradawi, an influential Egyptian preacher, if he accepts an invitation from the Union of French Islamic Organizations (UOIF) to visit France next month, a close aide to President Nicolas Sarkozy said Sunday.

Al-Qaradawi is one of the most widely respected Sunni Muslim clerics in the Arab world and a household name in the Middle East.

A former member of Egypt's Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, he is independent of the group today but remains close to it.

The UOIF, one of three Muslim federations in France, is also close to the Muslim Brotherhood.

Source: Reuters

Stop

Turkey Closes Embassy in Syria, Recalls Ambassador

Image
© Today's Zaman, Ali Ünal
Turkey on Monday closed its embassy in Damascus and called back its ambassador to Syria, citing a worsening security situation in the country.

Activities at the embassy in the Syrian capital are being "temporarily suspended," but Turkey's consulate in Aleppo will remain operational, a brief statement posted on the embassy's website said Sunday night.

The embassy is being closed because of the poor security situation in Syria, a ministry official said on condition of anonymity in line with ministry regulations. The Turkish ambassador and other diplomats will be returning to Turkey, he said.

The move comes two days after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey was on the brink of breaking diplomatic ties with Syria and withdrawing its ambassador.

The U.N. says more than 8,000 people, many of them civilian protesters, have been killed since Syria's President Bashar Assad launched a crackdown on the opposition a year ago.

USA

U.S. Pays Families of Afghan Victims in Massacre by Soldier

Robert Bales
© The Associated Press/Allauddin Khan
In this Sunday, March 11, 2012 file photo, men stand next to blood stains and charred remains inside a home where witnesses say Afghans were killed by a U.S. soldier in Panjwai, Kandahar province south of Kabul, Afghanistan. U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales was charged on Friday, March 23, 2012 with 17 counts of premeditated murder, a capital offense that could lead to the death penalty in the massacre of Afghan civilians, the U.S. military said.
Kabul, Afghanistan - The families of 16 Afghan villagers who were killed this month by a rampaging American soldier were given $50,000 by the United States for each of their relatives who died, Afghan and American officials said.

The payments were made on Saturday by American military officers at the office of the governor of Kandahar Province, where the killings took place. The people wounded in the attacks were each given $11,000, said Hajji Agha Lalai, a member of the Kandahar provincial council.

Hajji Jan Agha, who lost cousins in the killings, said he and other relatives were invited to the governor's office by foreign and Afghan officials, according to Reuters. "They said this money is an assistance from Obama," Mr. Agha was quoted as saying.

Mr. Lalai described the payments as "assistance" to the wounded and the families of the dead, but not as the kind of traditional compensation that would absolve the accused of responsibility for the crimes.

"We are grateful to the United States government for its help with the grieved families. But this cannot be counted as compensation for the deaths," he said.

In discussions before the payments were made, American officials were also careful to draw a similar distinction, saying that any eventual payments would be out of compassion for the victims, and that Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, the soldier accused of killing the villagers, would still face trial.

An American official confirmed on Sunday that payments had been made to victims but refused to discuss specifics. Compensation payments are kept private as a matter of American policy, the official said, adding that it was up the recipients to decide whether to talk about what they were given.

Health

Chavez in Cuba for More Cancer Treatment

Hugo Chavez, Raul Castro
© Agence France-Presse/Andres Piscov
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez (R) and Cuba's President Raul Castro
Caracas - President Hugo Chavez, in Cuba for a new round of cancer treatment following surgery to remove a malignant tumor, said in a phone call Sunday that he would return to Venezuela in five days.

Chavez was warmly embraced by Cuban President Raul Castro on his arrival at Jose Marti airport in Havana around midnight Saturday, the state-run newspaper Juventud Rebelde said on its website, describing the Venezuelan leader's demeanor as "animated" and upbeat.

Chavez said he immediately underwent the first of five rounds of radiation therapy treatment.

"I should return to Venezuela on Thursday," March 29, Chavez said in a phone call to Vice President Elias Jaua broadcast on VTV state television.

The announcement made to head off criticism that he had left Venezuela without permission from the National Assembly, the country's legislature, which must authorize a president's absence of more than five days.

Chavez, however, said that after three days of rest in Venezuela he will return to Cuba for the next session of radiation therapy.

Light Sabers

5,000-strong African Union army to hunt down Joseph Kony

Image
The African Union says it will create a special force to track down notorious rebel leader Joseph Kony in the heart of central Africa. The announcement follows a viral video campaign that courted controversy around the world.

­The Uganda-led mission will commence in South Sudan on Saturday, United Nations and African Union officials said at a news conference in Uganda, AP reports.

The 5,000-strong brigade tasked with bringing down Kony and his Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) will consist of regional troops whose countries have been affected by the rebel group's activities.

"We need to stop Kony with hardware - with military hardware in this case," the African Union's special envoy on the LRA, Francisco Madeira, said on Friday. "We are on a mission to stop him."

The announcement follows the Kony 2012 Internet movie sensation created by the US advocacy group Invisible Children. Invisible children say the video, which has now garnered more than 100 million views, was created "to end the use of child soldiers in Joseph Kony's rebel war and restore LRA-affected communities in central Africa to peace and prosperity."

However, questions about the group's finances and widespread condemnation of the film in Uganda were followed by a very public meltdown by Invisible Children co-founder Jason Russell.