Fireballs
S

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball blazes across Siberian city of Omsk

Meteor over Omsk
© CENMotorists were given an extraordinary experience as the meteor blazed across the sky.
Motorists in the city of Omsk in Siberia were treated to the rare phenomenon as the falling space rock crashed to earth. The meteor, which appeared in the Omsk Oblast, appeared to be a massive fireball and was visible for miles. However experts say the flaring object was actually probably small enough to fit in your pocket.

Vladimir Krupko, head of the local planetarium, said: "Most likely it was a small meteorite, the size of a walnut.

"Since it was flying up high in the air, it was visible from other cities as well.

"When it entered the atmosphere it caught fire at about 120 kilometres (74.5 miles) above the ground, and by the time it was 40-60 kilometres (25-37 miles) above the ground the fire had gone out."

Despite there being plenty of larger objects whizzing around our solar system, no large meteorites, which are debris from a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid, are expected for at least 100 years, Mr Krupko said.

Comment: A few weeks ago two large meteor fireballs were caught on camera in northwestern Russia.

Fireball 5

Meteor fireball seen over Donegal, Ireland

Fireball over Donegal, Ireland
© Via YouTube/Donegal Weather Channel
Last night Saturday 21st of January I had clear sky for the fist part of the night here in Donegal, Ireland and had my camera out covering the night sky when a beautiful fireball fell too the north sky. I was lucky enough of to capture this as it was starting to cloud over.

I had a number of reports on my Facebook page of the same fireball which was seen in another few spot of The northwest and northern Ireland.

The Fireball occurred at 9.32pm 21st January 2017.

Note that the video is looped.

Fireball

Meteor? New Orleans residents report flash of pinkish light, loud booms, home rattling

Loud boom in New Orleans
© WWLTV
Residents have been reporting something strange happening in Uptown.

On multiple occasions, a loud 'boom' has been heard, some even reporting the sound follows a flash of pinkish light.

Many who've witnessed it said they haven't the slightest idea what it is or where it's coming from.

"This is more like a deeper boom," said resident Neal Royer.

Some even joke around with their own theories. "Leah thinks it's aliens," said Eric Rucker pointing to his wife as they both chuckled. "Maybe a zombie apocalypse happening across the street." However, all laughing aside, people all over Uptown are asking, what is it?

"I was walking my dogs and I saw behind me that there was some kind of flash and a boom," said Cindy Stein. "It was like a pinkish flash. There were people outside who saw it too saying what they heard or saw."

For weeks a loud 'boom' has rattled quiet neighborhoods at night or early in the morning.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball breaks up over Victoria, Australia

meteorito
A meteorite burning across the ­Mallee sky last Friday night has spotters talking.

Wollongong-based amateur astronomer David Finlay said the "massive" fireball was seen about 11.05pm on January 13.

"From Melbourne and Shepparton, this meteor appeared low to the ground to the north-west, but I suspect it may have been very close to the Mildura area," Mr Finlay said.

"It split into several pieces in the end and a team from Monash University and I are trying to track it down."

Fireball

Daytime meteor fireball explodes over Norway

Daytime fireball over Norway
© norskmeteornettverk.no
An impressive bright flash appeared above central Norway on January 15, 2017, and was observed from both western and eastern Norway. Eyewitnesses are asked to submit their reports.

According to the Norwegian Meteor Network, the event occurred around 13:48 UTC and was accompanied by a sonic boom a few minutes later, suggesting that the event was a fireball coming a long way down in the atmosphere before it exploded.

The meteor network operates numerous cameras, but the event was apparently not recorded by any of them. If you saw the event, please submit your report.

Received reports so far mention very intense light that dissolved into small fragments before it disappeared. Two of them said the light was blue and well visible.

The reports came from the regional districts Sogn og Fjordane, Møre og Romsdal, Oppland, and Rogaland. The most distant observations are from the city Haugesund in western Norway and Lunner county.

Norway fireball map
© International Meteor OrganizationPreliminary location of the January 15, 2017 fireball over Norway according to the few comments and reports received so far.

Fireball 2

Bright meteor fireball explodes over Puerto Rico

meteor fireball over Puerto Rico
© YouTube/Frankie Lucena (screen capture)
Very bright fireball explodes just south of Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico on Jan 12, 2017 at 5:11am local time.

Fireball 2

American Meteor Society receives 145 reports of meteor fireball over US Midwest and Canada

meteor fireball over US Midwest
© Google maps/AMS (screen capture)The American Meteor Society (AMS) received 145 reports about a fireball seen over OH, IL, WI, MI, IN, IA, PA and Ontario on Sunday, January 8th 2017 around 11:15 UT.
Dave Behnke wasn't prepared for what he saw in the sky before dawn on Sunday.

Neither was his dog, Harvey, who had insisted they go outside at such an early hour to begin with.

"He started barking, looking up and going crazy," said Behnke, who lives in Lansing Township. "I said, 'what the hell?' And then he started cowering. I looked up, and I was thinking, 'did I just see something or not?'"

The object was "about the size of a VW wagon," Behnke said. It was changing colors and moving from north to south. He thought it was only about 100 feet above the trees.

What they saw was a bright meteor known as a fireball. And lots of other people saw it, too.

The American Meteor Society received 145 reports of a fireball seen over seven states and Ontario, Canada around 6:15 a.m. Sunday. Observers from all over southern Michigan, including East Lansing, Laingsburg, Charlotte and Webberville, logged sightings on the AMS website.

"I was on my way to work when I saw what I initially thought was a low flying plane behind a tree," an East Lansing resident wrote. "However, when I moved past the tree I saw the object. It was very bright and seemed to be very close."

Comment: Of the 145 reports received by the American Meteorological Society of a fireball over OH, IL, WI, MI, IN, IA, PA and Ontario on Sunday, January 8th 2017 around 11:15 UT, dozens of reports were from Ohio, where unexplained explosions and fire damage affected several homes.

Comet 2

New Comet: C/2017 A3 (Elenin)

MPEC nr. 2017-A75, issued on 2017, January 11, announces the discovery of a comet (magnitude ~18.2) by L. Elenin on CCD images obtained with 0.4-m f/2.4 reflector + CCD at the ISON-SSO Observatory, Siding Spring on Jan. 5.4 UT. The new comet has been designated C/2017 A3 (Elenin).

I performed follow-up measurements of this object, while it was still on the neocp. Stacking of 20 unfiltered exposures, 120 seconds each, obtained remotely on 2017, Jan 06.5 from Q62 (iTelescope network) through a 0.50-m f/6.8 astrograph + CCD + f/4.5 focal reducer, shows that this object is a comet with a compact coma nearly 10 arcsec in diameter elongated toward PA 40.

My confirmation image (click on it for a bigger version)
Comet C/2017 Elenin
© Remanzacco Blogspot
M.P.E.C. 2017-A75 assigns the following preliminary parabolic orbital elements to comet C/2017 A3: T 2017 Jan. 20.6; e= 1.0; Peri. = 301.87; q = 3.91; Incl.= 99.12

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball streaks over Brazilian skies

Brazil meteor fireball 2017
© YouTube/Exoss Citizen Science (screen capture)
A bright meteor fireball was registered north of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on January 7, 2017 by the Exoss network monitoring cameras in the cities of São Jose de Ubá and Campos dos Goytacazes.

Fireball 5

Two large meteor fireballs caught on camera in northwestern Russia

Quadrantids meteor in Russia
© flashnord / YouTube
Two massive meteors falling in the first major meteor shower of 2017 - the Quadrantids - have been caught on camera by lucky car drivers in northwestern Russia.

The two luminous space rocks were filmed by dashboard cameras on January 3 and 4th in Arkhangelsk region, some 1,200 kilometers north of Moscow, according to local media.

The two objects in the videos appear to be the larger representatives of the Quadrantids, the annual meteor shower traditionally observed in the Northern Hemisphere between December 28 and January 7 when the Earth passes an asteroid belt, according to the Pulkovo Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences.