Strange Sounds
S

Map

Loud, house-shaking boom jolts residents in Merrimack Valley, Massachusetts

Merrimack River in Haverhill, MA
© Flickr/DocEarls
A loud, crashing bang jolted the nerves of many Merrimack Valley residents late Thursday night.

The boom came at around 11 p.m., on the tail end of an intense thunder storm.

Mary Murphy, of Linwood Street, said the noise woke her out of a sound sleep. "It was very loud," she said. "I thought there had been a car accident." Some of her friends in New Hampshire heard the noise at that same time, she said.

Murphy teaches in Lynn and her colleagues also reported hearing the "really loud" bang, she said. "My house shook," Murphy said. One of her fellow teachers thought there had been a gas explosion, she added.

A couple of police dispatchers said they, too, heard the bang. "It rattled my house," said Emily Staton, who dispatches for the Groveland police. She lives close to the Bates Bridge in Haverhill.

Megaphone

Strange banging noises heard throughout Abergavenny, Wales

Meteor shower
© Abergavenny Chronicle
THINGS that go boom were heard throughout Abergavenny last weekend and as of yet there has been no official explanation as to what caused them.

The Chronicle has been inundated with queries as to the nature of the loud, fierce, and persistent. bangs were which left the town all shook up on the weekend.

As many natives were nursing the last vestiges of their hangovers and settling down to watch the Antique's Roadshow last Sunday evening, the town was collectively unnerved by the mother of all bangs.

One Abergavenny resident said, "It nearly gave me an heart attack it was that loud. A first I though it was shotgun blast or a firework, but it was way too loud for that. It sounded more like a tank going off. My husband said it was probably mini meteors colliding with the earth, but have you ever heard such nonsense?"

Actually we have. The meteor story is not as far-fetched as it sounds. When a massive meteor enter the atmosphere over a specific area it makes a very distinguishable noise. The scientific term for this is 'sonic boom'.

Question

South Carolina mystery booms may be legendary 'Seneca Guns'

South Carolina coast
© mysteriousuniverse.com
Residents of Charleston, South Carolina and the surrounding towns of North Charleston, Mount Pleasant, and West Ashley were all startled by an unexplained booming noise which shook windows and doors. The noise was reported on the morning of Friday, May 5th just after 8:30 a.m. While reports of the boom came in from all throughout the South Carolina Lowcountry, experts and law enforcement officials currently disagree about what the source of the sound might have been.

Minor earthquakes or other seismic activity were speculated to be the cause of the boom, but geophysicists reported little seismic activity in the area at the time. There are also armed forces bases nearby, and aircraft exercises were cited as the likely cause of a similar boom last year. However, military officials in the area claim that they weren't behind the noise.

That does not rule out any classified or undisclosed testing, however. The Air Force's secretive X-37B spacecraft landed in Florida over the weekend, causing a sonic boom upon reentry. Could there have been another secret landing we don't yet know about?

Cloud Grey

'Creepy' horn sounds coming from the UK sky

Creepy sky sound in the UK
© Via YouTube/spring
Creepy sound from the sky - UK.

Magnet

Strange trumpet sounds recorded in Georgia skies

Strange sound in the sky
The breathing is my lil bro sleeping. These were the first sounds of the night.

Binoculars

Strange, early morning horn sounds recorded in Ohio

Strange sounds in Ohio
© Via YouTube/LillyLithium
I had woken up and my dog had to be taken out to pee and this happened.

NOTE: there was no planes in the sky, there was no trains, the small town of Ohio was pretty much dead.

Part 2 of this will be uploaded, and it lasted a while after I stopped recording. A good 15-20 minutes and was still going when I went back inside.

Comment: See also: Strange sky sounds: Metallic, groaning, trumpet-like noises heard worldwide in 2016

Attention

Loud, mysterious bang leads New South Wales residents to look toward the heavens

Meteor fireball graphic
© Daily Examiner
Lower Clarence residents were looking to the heavens last night after a loud, mysterious bang was heard in Maclean, Townsend, Gulmarrad, Wooli and Ashby shortly before 9pm last night.

The incident caused a stir on social media, with more than 170 comments on Maclean Buy, Swap and Sell Facebook page.

The Daily Examiner is investigating the cause of the loud bang. But with no definitive answers yet, theories being shared range from the logical such as a sonic boom from a meteorite, to the outrageous, including a UFO crash.

If you heard or saw anything from last night's big bang, tell us your story.

Earlier this week there were reports of other loud bangs following meteorite sightings across northern NSW and south-east Queensland.

Comment: The above event was on Sunday, about 6pm according to reports: Bright meteor with house-shaking sound reported over Queensland, Australia

The timing has coincided with the start of the annual Lyrid meteor shower event, which is active from about April 16 to 25.

Question

Strange sounds in the sky of Roswell, New Mexico

Strange sky sounds in Roswell, NM
© Via YouTube/Aspen Youngs
Strange sky sounds.

X

Loud, earth-shaking boom prompts calls to 911 in southwest Michigan

Grandville mystery boom
© WOODTV
A loud sound from an unknown source has prompted concern in Grandville and the surrounding area prompting numerous calls to 911.

Kent County dispatchers say they've received nearly two dozen calls reporting a loud explosion-type sound. Police have been searching the area, but were unable to determine the source of the noise.

Reports of the situation began coming into the 24 Hour News 8 newsroom around 8:30 p.m Saturday.

"There was just a loud explosion sound in Grandville and we felt the earth shake," one viewer wrote on Facebook. "Sounded like a bomb going off!!" said another post.

Emergency responders remain perplexed as to what caused the sound.

Question

Strange, loud 'siren or vacuum' sound recorded in Monument, Colorado

Strange sound in Monument, CO
© YouTube/Micah Brink
There was no weather happening at the time so the Siren idea is probably wrong. I'd love to figure this out! I live near the USAFA.

It was at 1am and lasted for approximately 15 minutes.

Comment: A viewer of the video, about 35 miles away in Fountain, Colorado, reported they heard the exact sound for about 20 minutes, close to midnight.