A Pennsylvania family is suing ConAgra, claiming salmonella-tainted peanut butter led to the death of a family member.

Roberta Barkay, 76, of Ellwood City, Pa., died Jan. 30.

Health officials told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette they have no evidence Barkay died of salmonella poisoning. The family attorney, Rob Peirce, said, however, circumstantial evidence indicates the peanut butter led to her death.

The suit alleges Barkay and her husband bought a jar of Peter Pan peanut butter in Youngstown, Ohio, in November. Barkay's husband, William, consumed some of the peanut butter and fell ill with gastrointestinal problems that required hospitalization. Some time later, Barkay also had the peanut butter, developed symptoms, was hospitalized and contracted a bacterial infection that led to her death, the newspaper said.

When her daughter came in for the funeral from Arizona, she too ate the peanut butter and then became ill when she returned home.

The family didn't connect the illnesses until news of the salmonella contamination at a ConAgra plant broke last week. The contaminated jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter are stamped with a code beginning "2111."