Animals
S

Question

Remains of mysterious sea creature washed up in far east of Russia

© SakhalinMediaJudging from the remains the creature was giant and about twice the length of a human, and it had a huge nose like a birdโ€™s beak.
With fur on its tail and twice the size of a human being, no one yet knows what the animal is.

The remains of an unidentified sea animal with fur on its tail have been washed ashore in the Far East. Found near the airport at Shakhtersk, on Sakhalin Island, its appearance is unlike anything ever found in Russia.

Judging from the remains the creature was giant and about twice the length of a human, and it had a huge nose like a bird's beak.

Pictures of the carcass have created a stir on social media after being taken by local people and posted online.

Some have claim the remains belong to a Ganges River dolphin from India, because of the long body and narrow beak nose. But the presence of fur on the tail and also its size - twice that of the Indian dolphin species - has created a mystery.

Eagle

Cheeky crow hitches lift on bald eagle in mid-flight

© Phoo Chan / Media Drum World Taxi: The cheeky crow on board the bald eagle as he piggy backs mid-air
This chance-meeting was captured by an amateur photographer while the much larger predatory bird was trying find itself an early morning snack

This cheeky crow was pictured hitching a lift on a bald eagle's back.

Fancying a free ride, the brave black bird landed on the wings of the much larger predator mid-flight.

© Phoo Chan / Media Drum WorldHitchhiker: The crow performs a flawless landing in these incredible pictures
The surprise guest interrupted the bald eagle who was searching for an early morning snack.

Miraculously, the predator didn't even flinch and carried on as if nothing had happened.

Cow

Cattle auctioneers admit to just talking shite half the time

Cattle Auction
© waterfordwhispersnews.com
Auctioneers at livestock markets across the country have finally confirmed what people have suspected for years; that when it comes to selling cattle, the man with the microphone is basically talking high-speed gibberish for no good reason.

"We've been just throwing in fibbiddy bibbiddies for the laugh," said Con Harding, one of the country's most sought-after cattle auctioneers.

"Just for the fuck of it. Anytime you hear an auctioneer get up to full pelt, you're listening to about 20% information about the animal in the ring, 20% bidding, and 60% of made up words that we just throw in for the craic".

The admission has shocked livestock traders up and down the country, who for years have prided themselves on being able to understand an auctioneer, with many claiming to "know exactly what he's saying" despite today's revelation that they are in actual fact just talking pure shite.

"I feel kinda foolish right now," admitted Kieran MacCaughan, a dairy farmer from Laois who regularly attends livestock markets.

"Whenever the auctioneer started up with the 'hoobiddyboobiddythreehundredfourhundred', I'd nod along as if I was following him word for word... to learn now that they were just taking the piss out of us is pretty annoying, to be honest".

Following their admission, the cattle auctioneers association of Ireland have promised to quit the messing and just speak English when selling livestock.

Comment: Have a listen!

Eye 2

Father, grandfather rescue boy from alligator attack at Lake Charlotte, Texas

Alligator
A man and his teenage son on a fishing outing survived an alligator attack at Cedar Hill Park outside Houston.

According to the Chambers County Sheriff's Office, 42-year-old James Hurley and 13-year-old Kaleb Hurley were in Cedar Hill Park Sunday when an alligator bit the teenager on the arm and took him underwater while he was swimming near the bank of Lake Charlotte.

Mark Ford, Kaleb's grandfather, told CBS affiliate KHOU that he and Kaleb's father dove in to help.

"When we figured out what was going on, the alligator jerked Kaleb away from him," Ford said. "His dad and I got a hold of Kaleb and got him away from the alligator."

Wolf

Boy mauled to death by two pit bull terriers in Namibia

Gone ... Fred Savage (13) died from injuries sustained during the attack.
It was supposed to be a normal weekend away from the school hostel, which included playing with friends in the streets of the neighbourhood.

Yet it ended in death for 13-year-old Fred Savage on Saturday afternoon, when two aggressive pit bull terriers ripped him apart in full view of other people.

Neighbours in Otjomuise's extension four rushed to the scene after hearing the chilling cries of a young boy at about 15h50, but they could only watch in horror as the boy was bitten to death by, ironically, what is supposed to be man's best friend.

The Grade 5 pupil at Aris Primary School from Agste Laan in Otjomuise, was playing in the street with two friends when the enraged dogs charged at them and attacked him.

The boy's relatives, who described him as a "sweet and helpful young boy", say he was visiting home for the weekend from the school hostel.

"He had gone out with his friends for the afternoon, but they [the friends] returned home to report that he had been attacked by two savage dogs. We did not think it was serious at first and we went searching for him at Katutura Hospital," said Fred's aunt Michelle Ochurus.

Attention

Whale carcass washes up on Fire Island, New York

© Instagram / anelorenycA 25-foot whale carcass was discovered washed up on a Fire Island beach Monday, June 29, 2015, Suffolk County police said.
A 25-foot dead whale carcass washed up on the oceanfront beach of eastern Fire Island on Monday night, authorities said.

Suffolk County police Marine Bureau officers responded to the scene in Ocean Ridge, the easternmost section of Davis Park, at 8:30 p.m., police said. It was not immediately clear what type of whale had washed up.

Officers notified New York State Department of Environmental Conservation officers and the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation.

The Riverhead Foundation will perform a necropsy to determine the whale's cause of death, which was not immediately clear. The foundation will also bury the whale, police said.

The incident came eight weeks after a humpback whale carcass washed up near the Wilderness Visitors Center west of Smith Point County Park on FI.

Bizarro Earth

Texas residents terrorized by gangs of dive-bombing birds

bird attack texas
© Reuters / Bogdan Cristel
A street corner in Houston, Texas has been taken over by a gang of proverbial angry birds. Residents say the feathery flock often dive-bombs passing humans, most likely trying to scare anyone away from their nests.

People living on the 800 block of Beverly Street in Houston Heights told the local TV station KHOU that the avian intruders have taken up residence in a tall tree, and occasionally swoop down on people walking by.

"I felt something hit my back, and I was like, what was that?" local resident Eliana Crenshaw-Gibbs told the station. "I turn around and see the bird coming at me, so I start running."

Another neighbor, Victor Valenzuela, was attacked as well.

"It's annoying, it's not very fun," he said. "I've seen it happen to a bunch of people: the UPS guy, my girlfriend walks by - she gets attacked."

Comment: There's been many cases of strange bird behavior in the last decade. One wonders what unseen changes are going on in the environment to cause them.

Cloud Lightning

33 cattle killed after lightning storm hits Perry County, Mississippi

© Linda JordanThirty three animals were found dead because of a lightning storm that hit on Saturday night in Richton.
A total of 33 animals were found dead because of a lightning storm that hit on Saturday night in Richton.

"I never thought lightning could do something like this," said Ray Jordan, owner of the herd.

Jordan said he wanted to do a routine check of the herd after the lightning storm went through the area. On Sunday morning, he said he found the herd in a place where they usually go when it rains - an area in the pasture with two trees. Among the animals killed were 23 cows, nine yearlings and one bull.

He said he and his wife, Linda Jordan, expect to lose around $60,000 after losing the animals.

"A few of the cows were expecting, and we found one with a calf hanging out of the sack," Ray Jordan said.

Wolf

Suspected coyote attack on 11-year-old girl in northern Alberta

An 11-year-old girl was seriously injured after a suspected coyote attack overnight.
A young girl has been recovering after a suspected coyote attack in northern Alberta.

The girls' mother, Lolene Veronica Young-Condon said the incident happened around 1 a.m. Saturday in the town of Valleyview.

"We were going to do some star gazing," she explained.

Young-Condon had gone into the house to make some tea when she heard something outside.

"I heard some screeching, crying sounds that I had never heard before."

When she went outside to investigate she caught sight of the animal.

"I was standing on the steps outside my door and I saw this furry animal on my daughter Katie.

"I thought at first it was a fox."

She said the animal jumped off Katie and turned to face her. It ran off into the woods near the home after Young-Condon chased it.

Attention

Yet another shark attack in North Carolina - sixth in 2 weeks

Rescue personnel and park rangers responded to the 18-year-old, who received what they described as injuries to his right calf, buttocks and both hands
A teenager was in serious condition Sunday after being bitten by a shark off North Carolina, the latest in a string of shark attacks that have swimmers in the state gripped by fear.

The 18-year-old victim nearly died after the attack Saturday afternoon on the Outer Banks. It was the second shark attack on the Outer Banks in as many days and the sixth attack off the coast of North Carolina in the past two weeks.

The unidentified young man arrived at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in Norfolk, Virginia, in critical risk of dying, a spokeswoman said told The Associated Press Sunday.

Carol Flynn said the teen's condition had improved, allowing doctors to upgrade his condition from critical to serious.