Australia's long drought is forcing snakes out of hiding and into urban areas this summer, with experts warning snakebites are more likely.

The drought has forced snakes to move to urban areas looking for moisture, prompting a caution to people to be careful around creeks, waterways and long grass.

Three Australians have been bitten by a snake in the last week - one fatally.

Victorian Health Minister Bronwyn Pike has warned there was a greater risk people could be bitten as more snakes moved into residential and business areas.

"If you see a snake, don't go near it, and if you do unfortunately happen to be bitten by a snake, make sure you get urgent medical attention as soon as possible," Ms Pike said.

"In the intervening time, stay calm, apply a pressure bandage and then, hopefully, we won't have any of the tragic consequences we've seen most recently."

Ms Pike issued the warning while announcing the relocation of Victoria's Poisons Information Centre from the Royal Children's Hospital to the Austin Hospital, giving people access to treatment and information at the same service.

Associate Professor George Braitberg, co-director of the Austin's statewide toxicology service, said snakebite presentations were increasing.

"We're seeing more at the Austin - they're more active because of the weather conditions and the climate conditions," he said.

"But across Australia we're seeing far more snakebites than we have had for many years."

Prof Braitberg said people needed to remain calm and still if bitten and seek help immediately.

"Certainly don't run around - because that pumps the venom around through the legs and through the calf muscles faster if it's a leg bite - and apply pressure and a immobilisation bandage," he said.

"Once that help arrives, the patient needs to be taken to a hospital where they can receive appropriate care and receive an anti-venom if needed."

About 2,000 snakebite patients presented to hospitals nationally last summer, while three people have died this summer from Brown snake bites, according to the Australian Venom Research Unit.

"The message still remains that people can die in this country from snakebite even in the 21st century," the unit's director Dr Ken Winkel said.

"It comes down to essentially not knowing appropriate first aid for snake bite."

A 16-year-old Sydney boy died in hospital at the weekend after he was bitten by an eastern brown snake, considered one of the world's most dangerous reptiles in Sydney's west.

A 32-year-old Victorian man and an 11-year-old Queensland boy also suffered bites in the past week.