Welcome to Sott.net
Wed, 23 Aug 2017
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

Bullseye

Man's 'Neo-nazi haircut' gets him stabbed by an unknown, crazed assailant

This Colorado man is avowedly not a neo-Nazi.

But he believes his long-on-top, buzzed-on-the-sides haircut got him mistaken for one - and nearly stabbed to death by a confused anti-fascist.

Joshua Witt, 26, escaped his brush with hairdo-doom with a defensive slice to the hand and three stitches.

"Apparently, my haircut is considered a neo-Nazi statement," he told The Post Saturday, as his account on Facebook garnered 20,000 shares.

Witt says he'd just pulled in to the parking lot of the Steak 'n Shake in Sheridan, Colo., and was opening his car door.

Info

Canada struggles with Haitian refugee surge from US

© AFP Photo/Geoff Robins
Under a Canada-US agreement, asylum seekers traveling through the United States would be turned away at Canadian border checkpoints, and told to file a refugee claim in the United States. But this does not apply to people who reach Canadian soil unchecked, through backwoods.
Soldiers busily assemble tents with wooden floors, lighting and heating in Canada's Quebec province near the US border to temporarily house a surge in asylum seekers from the United States.

Children run between rows and rows of the military green tents as their parents line up to speak with immigration officials and file refugee claims.

Throughout the day, school buses drop off dozens of people at a time at the makeshift tent city in Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle, Quebec. They walked across the border with suitcases in hand, before being picked up by federal police who deliver them here.

Eventually, the newcomers will be transferred to Montreal or a government facility in Ontario province where officials will help them find more suitable accommodations while their claims are considered.

Security prevented media from speaking to any of the tent city residents.

Pistol

Total of 6 officers shot in Florida and Pennsylvania [Updates]

© CBS Miami / YouTube
A massive manhunt is underway in the city of Kissimmee, Florida, after two police officers were shot Friday night. Two suspects have been arrested so far, but a third is believed to be on the run.

Dozens of police are sweeping the area after the two Kissimmee police officers were shot in the area of Palmway and Cypress streets. One of them succumbed to his injuries, while the 2nd remains in grave condition, authorities told local media.

Officers Howard and Baxter were shot when they responded to a call, the Kissimmee police chief told reporters, adding, "Looks as though it may have been an ambush."


Comment: A suspect has been arrested in the Kissimmee shooting:
The officers were checking three people when a fourth suspect opened fire.

While the authorities initially believed all four were suspects in the shooting, the arrested man was actually the only suspect, AP reports, citing O'Dell.

Police identified that suspect as Everett Glenn Miller, a 46-year-old African-American male.

Miller had posted violent anti-police comments on social media but it was not reported to authorities, according to O'Dell.

"We've got to come together as a nation and get our community involved," Police Chief O'Dell said at a news briefing on Saturday, commenting on the nationwide surge in violence against law enforcement.

US President Donald Trump responded to the Kissimmee shooting, tweeting: "My thoughts and prayers are with the KissimmeePolice and their loved ones. We are with you!"
Meanwhile in Jacksonville, Fla. and Fairchance, PA more officers have been shot:
In the northern Florida city of Jacksonville, two police officers were shot and wounded while responding to reports of a gunman in an apartment, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said.

According to the sheriff's office, officers were responding to an attempted suicide call where there were "three additional victims inside the house that had retreated to a back bedroom for their safety. While the officers were en route, the suspect armed himself with a high-powered rifle."

The suspect opened fire through the door, injuring two officers, but was killed as they returned fire. "He engaged the officers before they made entry into the house," police said.

One officer was said to be in critical condition, while another was stable. Jacksonville police did not elaborate on details, announcing further updates later in the day.

During the same night on Friday, two Pennsylvania state troopers were also shot in the city of Fairchance. Both officers were said to be in stable condition and were expected to survive, while the suspect was killed.

"Two state troopers [were] shot and [the] suspect is deceased," Pennsylvania State Police spokeswoman Melinda Bondarenka told ABC News. "We are not releasing any more details at this time."

"I can confirm that one state police trooper was brought to Uniontown Hospital for treatment of injuries suffered in a shooting incident in Fairchance this evening. The injuries suffered by this officer are not life threatening," Josh Krysak, a spokesman at Uniontown Hospital, told the broadcaster.



Info

'Stop wasting human lives': Archbishop of Manila speaks out against Duterte's war on drugs

© Romeo Ranoco / Reuters
The Archbishop of Manila has spoken out against Philippines leader Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs following a week of deadly raids which saw over 80 people killed, including a 17-year-old boy.

"We knock on the consciences of those who kill even the helpless, especially those who cover their faces with bonnets, to stop wasting human lives," Cardinal Luis Tagle said in a letter read at masses across Manila on Sunday, the Inquirer reported.

The Cardinal also called on "the consciences of those manufacturing and selling illegal drugs to stop this activity," stressing the complexity of the issue with no one organization unable to claim they have the correct solution.

Calling for a joint response to the issue, he asked for government, police, faith-based communities, and recovering addicts to come together to find a solution.

Bullseye

Siberia: Police kill knife-wielding attacker who stabbed seven people [Update]

© Ruptly
A CCTV video has emerged online showing what appears to be a suspected knife attacker being chased by an armed policeman in the Siberian city of Surgut.

The footage was published by Telegram channel Mash on Sunday, purportedly showing the stabber being chased and shot by a policeman.

The 14-second video from a roadside CCTV camera shows a black-clad man running away along the street before collapsing to the ground. The authenticity of the video cannot be immediately verified.

On Saturday the assailant stabbed seven people, four of whom are said to be in life-threatening condition.

Identified by authorities as a 19-year-old Surgut resident, the attacker was brought down by police after resisting arrest.

Comment: More details have emerged:
The 19-year-old attacker's name is reportedly Artur Gadzhiev, who comes from a family originally from the southern Russian Republic of Dagestan, various Russian media speculated citing local investigative officials.

Telegram public channel Mash also reported that Gadzhiev's father, Lametulakh, was known to police as an "extremist" and "supporter" of radical Islam.

Mash published what it said was an actual photo of Gadzhiev, whose neat appearance and smile triggered a frenzy among social media users.
Interestingly, the stabber was initially identified by some Russian media as a 23-year-old Tajikistani national by the name of Bobichel Abdurakhmanov, the claim that soon proved false.

...

Other claims that have also emerged locally said the suspect could have worked as security guard at a Surgut supermarket.

An activist of a grassroots group checking supermarkets for products' shelf lives claimed he recognized the assailant shot dead by police as a security officer from one of the city's chain stores.

Posting a grab from one of his videos on Russia's VKontakte (In Contact) social network, the activist alleged "this young man was employed as a security guard at a local grocery store."



Attention

Electronic Frontier Foundation fights ban of neo-Nazi internet site

© Vladimir Trefilov / Sputnik
The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) has spoken out against the banning of the neo-Nazi website Daily Stormer, after back-end web infrastructure companies like GoDaddy and Google cut services to the site for political reasons.

Silencing one group could lead to the silencing of others whose opinions companies don't agree with, the EFF warned, adding that this kind of corporate overreach was dangerous.

"Protecting free speech is not something we do because we agree with all of the speech that gets protected. We do it because we believe that no one - not the government and not private commercial enterprise - should decide who gets to speak and who doesn't," EFF argued in a blog post titled "Fighting Neo-Nazis and the Future of Freedom of Expression" on Thursday.

"Any tactic used now to silence neo-Nazis will soon be used against others, including people whose opinions we agree with."

"Those on the left face calls to characterize the Black Lives matter movement as a hate group. In the Civil Rights era, cases that formed the basis of today's protections of freedom of speech, the NAACP's voice was the one attacked," EFF wrote.

Attention

Car plows through partygoers in Belgium, 4 injured with 1 in critical condition

© HLN.BE‏ / Twitter
Four people were hospitalized after a car rammed into the guests of a party in Bertrix municipality in the Belgian region of Walloon. Authorities aren't treating the incident as a terrorist attack, local media reported.

The vehicle ramming took place at 3:30am on Sunday, with the driver deliberately targeting the partygoers, Belga news agency reported.

The perpetrator and two of his passengers fled the scene in the car, but were chased by the police and detained.

Four people suffered injuries and were hospitalized as result of the ramming, with one person in a critical condition.

According to Belga, the authorities aren't treating the Bertrix incident as a terrorist attack.

Arrow Down

Monument-toppling has a long history

© Aaron Bernstein / Reuters
America's struggle with symbols of its slavery past was highlighted amid clashes over a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Dealing with controversial pieces of historical art has a long, sometimes bloody, and occasionally amusing history.

Toppling monuments is a tradition honored by centuries, even millennia. It has often been connected to cultural or religious strife, like the infamous 2001 destruction of Buddha statues in the Bamyan valley of Afghanistan by the Taliban, or acts of vandalism by Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) in Palmyra, Syria and other places.

But more often, monuments of the past were targeted for being images of a disfavored ruler or a fallen government. Pharaoh Thutmose III tried to undermine the legacy of his predecessor, Hatshepsut, sometimes simply by erasing her name from her figures.

Sheriff

California cop fired for exposing police sex ring involving children

A new lawsuit filed by a former employee is drawing attention to the Gilroy Police Department, amid accusations that high-ranking officials promoted an environment that was rife with sexual misconduct, which included everything from sex parties to inappropriate relations with underage members of the "Police Explorers" program.

After 25 years with the department, Patricia Harrell was fired from her position as a senior police communications supervisor in 2015, just three years before she was set to retire with full benefits. While she was allegedly fired for "improper conduct" with trainees, Harrell claims that she was just trying to warn them about the situation in the GPD, according to an explosive report from the Gilroy Dispatch.

Harrell's lawsuit dropped the names of not only officers but several of their wives and girlfriends as well. She indicated that working for the police department equated with enduring years of unwanted advances, sexual impropriety on the part of officers, and retaliation when Harrell spoke out. The Gilroy Dispatch reported that Harrell's claim in the lawsuit include:

USA

Anti-racists and Confederate monument supporters scuffle at Dallas rally

© Rex Curry / Reuters
An effigy of President Trump is carried through the crowd during the “Dallas Against White Supremacy” rally at City Hall Plaza in Dallas, Texas, U.S. August 19, 2017.
Thousands of people have attended a peaceful rally against white supremacism in Dallas. The event was marred by scuffles with supporters of a Confederate monument at Pioneer Park Cemetery. Dozens of protesters are defying police orders to disperse.

Dallas police have warned the remaining protesters to disperse or potentially face arrest after the rally ended and the majority of participants went home.

Earlier, police on horseback and others in riot gear had to intervene to break up the sides protecting and opposing the confederate monument. Although some protesters on both sides were armed, there were no reports of injuries.