Fri, 24 Mar 2017 19:37 UTC
It is thought the child was part of a group who had fled from the besieged ISIS-held city of Mosul, in northern Iraq.
The clip, uploaded to video-sharing site LiveLeak, claims the boy to be the youngest ever suicide bomber - although that has not been verified.
Speaking to the camera, the soldier explains that the boy, thought to be called Uday, says he was sent by his uncle with instructions to target "the army".
At one point, the boy flinches during the tense disarmament but the soldier reasurres him, saying: "Don't be afraid."
Thu, 23 Mar 2017 15:07 UTC
"There was an exchange of fire in front of the entrance to the Premier-Palace Hotel about 40 minutes ago. One man was killed and two other persons were injured. The identity of the killed man has been established. He is a Russian politician, a former State Duma member. Yes, I can confirm that he is Denis Voronenkov," the head of Kiev police, Andrey Krishchenko, said, as cited by TASS.
Krishchenko said the assailant injured Voronenkov's bodyguard, who fired at him in return.
"[The suspect] is under police protection, he is being given priority medical assistance at a hospital," Krishchenko told reporters.
Comment: Moscow is shocked by a brazen murder in Kiev of former Russian State Duma member Denis Voronenkov that has all signs of a staged incident, Russian Foreign Ministry's spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told reporters.
"We are shocked by reports on the brazen murder of former State Duma deputy Denis Voronenkov today in downtown Kiev," Zakharova said.Update (Mar. 24): The Ukrainian Interior Ministry has confirmed the identity of the suspected gunman in the assassination in Kyiv on March 23 of a former Russian lawmaker who fled last year to Ukraine.
According to the Russian diplomat, there have been no impartial investigations into many high-profile cases in Ukraine.
"The response of Kiev and the global media, who put the blame of Russia within an hour after the murder, leaves no room for an impartial investigation," the Foreign Ministry spokeswoman added. "Such statements made in the first minutes following this tragedy indicate the true goals of the Ukrainian state. The state is either interested in the investigation and does everything possible to facilitate it or it stirs up hysteria around this bloody crime."
A ministry spokesman told RFE/RL that the man seen shooting ex-Duma Deputy Denis Voronenkov and a bodyguard in security-camera footage of the incident is 28-year-old, Crimean-born Ukrainian national Pavlo Parshov.
Parshov died in a hospital of bullet wounds suffered when the wounded bodyguard returned fire after the suspect shot Voronenkov multiple times in the head on a downtown sidewalk.
The Ukrainian Interior Ministry's website lists Parshov as a fugitive wanted in the southeastern Dnipro region for allegedly creating fake businesses and laundering money. A mugshot accompanying the entry shows a man with dark eyes, short dark hair, and a trimmed beard. It states his birthdate as July 28, 1988.
Apparent CCTV footage capturing the moment former Russian lawmaker Denis Voronenkov was shot and killed in central Kiev, with his bodyguard injured, has emerged online.
In the video, a man in casual clothes and wearing a hood is seen walking fast, approaching Voronenkov and his bodyguard in the street from behind. When he catches up with the men, he is seen taking out a gun.
The man in darker clothes - the former Russian politician Voronenkov - faces the attacker and then immediately falls to the ground. The camera also captures a girl walking past with her back to the murder scene. She then starts running, apparently scared by gunshots.
The man in lighter clothes - Voronenkov's bodyguard - is seen throwing himself at the assailant. However, he can also be seen falling to the ground, while the attacker ensures that Voronenkov is dead.
The attacker then tries to flee and turns the corner, out of sight of the video, but the bodyguard is seen firing at him. Seemingly injured and in pain, the bodyguard then checks on Voronenkov, while vehicles drive past, none of them stopping.
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 17:44 UTC
According to the proposal listed on the Mount Kumgang region website, the country needs $20 million to buy the 30,000-ton Royale Star, a Soviet-era cruise ship capable of carrying 1,000 passengers.
The liner can operate a casino business, even though gambling remains strictly prohibited in the country. It is currently docked at Kosong Port near Mount Kumgang and travels to Southeast Asia and Vladivostok in Russia.
"We are trying to diversify international tourism at the world-renowned Mount Kumgang by using cruise ship services," said the proposal, which noted that "a variety of facilities" will be available for passengers.
Comment: Maybe the casino magnate Trump can give North Korea some pointers.
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 17:45 UTC
The victims, who haven't been identified are an 81-year-old woman and a 59-year-old man.
Authorities have identified the suspect as 20-year-old Alexis Williams, an employee at the Bristol Court Assisted Living Facility on 3479 54th Avenue North in unincorporated St. Petersburg.
Thu, 23 Mar 2017 16:08 UTC
The months-long, multi-agency investigation led Israel Police's International Crime Investigations Unit to the city of Ashkelon, where the suspect and his father were arrested, and a search of their home was conducted on Thursday, local media reports.
"This specific investigation was complex in terms of the suspect and its nature," Micky Rosenfeld, foreign press spokesman for the Israel Police, told the Jerusalem Post.
"There was a significant breakthrough in the investigation which led us to make the arrest of the suspect who lives in Southern Israel."
"He was the main suspect behind the numerous amount of threats which were made to different Jewish communities and organizations around the world," Rosenfeld added.
Comment: Some of this freak's handiwork?
- 11 Jewish Community Centers across US evacuated or locked down after receiving bomb threats
- New wave of bomb threats cause evacuations at dozens of Jewish Centers across US
- Bomb threats for at least 7 Jewish centers could be from same serial caller
- Bomb threats target Jewish community centers across US for third time
- Jewish Community Centers in cities across the U.S. receive bomb threats
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:28 UTC
The new indictment, announced Thursday, adds to the six counts of first-degree murder and one count of official misconduct against Van Dyke, 38. The 16 counts of aggravated battery represent the number of times the officer fired at McDonald, 17, on October 20, 2014.
The night of McDonald's murder, police were responding to reports of a man acting erratically and breaking into vehicles in the city's Archer Heights neighborhood. Officers allege McDonald was holding a 4-inch knife, used to puncture a tire of a police squad car. The teen was ordered to drop the knife, but he reportedly refused.
Thu, 23 Mar 2017 00:00 UTC
Tony Loparco, director of the Special Investigations Unit, said in a news release Thursday that there are no reasonable grounds to lay criminal charges against any officers in connection to the Nov. 7, 2015 death of Rodrigo Almonacid Gonzalez.
Gonzalez, 43, a part-time cleaner at a hospital and father of two, died after an incident involving police that began after he locked himself in the bathroom, prompting his wife to call police to his family's apartment in the west end.
Several officers responded, including a tactical squad carrying a battering ram and shields, and the incident culminated in the repeated use of two conducted energy weapons, better known as Tasers. Gonzalez was later rolled out on a stretcher and admitted to St. Joseph's Health Centre and died the next day.
According to the SIU, despite the repeated use of a Taser, the cause of Gonzalez's death was determined to be complications of acute cocaine toxicity.
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 15:01 UTC
The ongoing "complex and bloody [civil] war" between the Houthi rebels and forces loyal to ousted President Mansur Hadi has led to the deaths of thousands, as the conflict peaked in 2015, the paper says. Attempts by the Saudi-led coalition to drive back the Houthis have only added to the plight of the people.
Over the past year, "airstrikes and fighting" have led to the deaths of around 7,600 people, with an average of 70 deaths a day, Oxfam said, calling on the world to not ignore the misery in the region.
Fri, 24 Mar 2017 14:18 UTC
According to the latest report on the impact of automation on the UK's labor force, up to 10 million jobs are at risk of being replaced by machines within 15 years.
The calculation is based on 23,000 suicide victims in 2015, aged from 15 to 69 years, and had they lived and worked until their 70s. Figures from the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare show there have been more than 30,000 suicides annually since 1998.
Statistics showed the majority are men who suffer from health, financial, or family issues.
Last year, the number dropped below 22,000 for the first time in 22 years. More than 15,000 men and nearly 6,800 women killed themselves, the ministry reported. The decline in the suicide rate is attributed to a revised law on suicide countermeasures coming into effect last April. In 2005, Japan established a headquarters for suicide prevention.
The country has one of the highest life expectancies in the world, at 83.3 years, as well as the highest suicide rates. A research paper from Wharton University found the main reasons for these high suicide rates include adverse economic conditions, unemployment, changing family structures, depression, inadequate access and resistance to mental health care, and substance abuse.