Maddie Nelson
© Facebook
Maddie Nelson says three years of vaping caused deadly damage to her lungs
A teenager claims she was left in a coma after years of vaping left her seriously ill.

Maddie Nelson, 18, was placed in a medically-induced coma earlier this month because she was suffering from chest pains and nausea.

Medics found her lungs were severely inflamed, and said her vaping habit was to blame.

The youngster, from Utah, said she picked up the habit three years ago, believing it was safe.

She had felt unwell for several weeks before she was hospitalised with a fever.

Maddie Nelson
© Facebook
Her family has warned against vaping
Writing on Facebook , she urged readers not to vape.

She said: "I am sharing my story so you all are aware that there is something crazy in these pens that is not safe and almost cost me my life.

"I used to just tell myself it won't happen to me, but it can and will happen to you too...take my advice, don't smoke, don't vape. #vape #stopthevape."

And she told Fox 13: "My temperature was so high, my brain just completely shut off.
Maddie Nelson
© Facebook
The teenager's condition worsened and her family feared for her life
"I thought I was in the hospital for one night, and I was actually there for four days."

Writing on a GoFundMe page to raise cash for medical fees, her siblings Sadie, Adnrea and Dylan warned against vaping.

They said she was admitted to hospital on July 27, but four days later her life was in danger.

They wrote: "On Wednesday, July 31st she was transferred to another hospital where she was rushed to the ICU.
Maddie Nelson
© Facebook
Maddie Nelson has advised others not to vape after her illness
"At this point, Maddie could barely breathe, and after two hours of being in this state she was incredibly exhausted and didn't know how much longer she was going to last, the situation went from serious to potentially fatal.

"When her chest X-ray came back the damage to her lungs was so severe the respiratory therapist will be using it as a teaching aid."

Their fundraising page continues: "Maddie's generation and those after her are the guinea pigs of the popularizing of the 'vape life' and after only a few years we are seeing some pretty scary side effects.

"Next time you reach for your juul and feel good about not smoking, think again."