© Gene J. Puskar / AP
Former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky leaves the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte, Pa., Wednesday, June 20, 2012.
Jerry Sandusky's own adopted son has dramatically accused him of abuse as a jury deliberates over scores of sex abuse charges against the former Penn State coach.

A lawyer for Matt Sandusky said the man told authorities that the former Penn State assistant football coach abused him.

Matt Sandusky is one of Jerry Sandusky's six adopted children.

His lawyers, Andrew Shubin and Justine Andronici, issued a statement on Thursday naming Matt Sandusky and saying that the 33-year-old had been prepared to testify on behalf of prosecutors at his father's sex abuse trial.

The statement says Matt Sandusky is 'a victim of Jerry Sandusky's abuse,' but doesn't go into specifics.

NBC News reported that Matt Sandusky was to take the stand as a 'rebuttal witness' if Jerry Sandusky testified.

Jerry Sandusky's defence team ultimately decided the 68-year-old former coach wouldn't speak in his own defence

Matt Sandusky's attorney's told the network: 'This has been an extremely painful experience for Matt and he has asked us to convey his request that the media respect his privacy,' they said.

The statement came after jurors began deliberating 48 charges against the ex-coach.

Prosecutors say Sandusky met the 10 sex-abuse victims through his charity, The Second Mile, which he established in 1977.

Lawyers for Matt and Jerry Sandusky and prosecutors did not immediately respond to requests for comment.Matt Sandusky's lawyer says his client met with investigators very recently.

Matt Sandusky went to live with Sandusky and his wife, Dottie, as a foster child and was adopted by them as an adult.

Shortly after Sandusky's arrest in November, Matt Sandusky's ex-wife Jill Jones successfully obtained a restraining order forbidding the children from sleeping at their grandparents' home.

At about the same time, details emerged that Matt Sandusky had attempted suicide just four months after first going to live with Jerry and Dottie Sandusky in 1995.

He had come into the home through The Second Mile charity, and was first a foster child before being legally adopted.

His name also came up last week during the testimony of one of Sandusky's 10 accusers.

The man, dubbed Victim 4 by prosecutors, said Matt Sandusky was living at the Sandusky home on an occasion when he had stayed there overnight.

When asked by prosecutors whether Jerry Sandusky ever engaged him in a soap battle in the showers, he recounted a time when he and Matt Sandusky had been playing racket ball.

When they were done, he said, they went back to a locker room. Matt got undressed and got into the shower and then Victim 4 and Sandusky followed him in there, he testified.

'Me and Jerry came in. He started pumping his hand full of soap,' he said.

At that point, Matt shut off his shower and left and went to another locker room to shower, the witness said.

Asked by prosecutors about Matt's facial expression when the soap battles started, he replied: 'Nervous.'

Jerry and Dottie Sandusky married in 1966 and have no biological children together, but adopted six times and have served as foster parents.

The news comes just hours after a 30-year-old Ohio man became the first alleged Sandusky victim to reveal himself to the public, saying in an interview that he was sexually abused by Jerry Sandusky more than 100 times, starting when he was just ten.

Travis Weaver said Sandusky preyed on him after he and his brother went to a summer camp for the Second Mile, a charity the coach founded and through which he is accused of cultivating most of his victims.

The revelation comes on the same day as a jury begins to deliberate Mr Sandusky's fate on 48 counts of sexual abuse charges.

In closing arguments, his attorney said the accusers were liars who were hoping to cash in on legal settlements from the university.

Mr Weaver is not one of the eight accusers who testified at trial, but he did tell his story to the grand jury that handed down the Sandusky's indictment, NBC News reported.

An exclusive interview with Mr Weaver will air at 10pm Thursday on Rock Center.

When asked what he would do if he ever met Sandusky again, Mr Weaver doesn't hesitate.

'I'd punch him in his mouth,' he said. 'There would be no reason to say anything. He knows what he did.'

During the sex abuse trial, Sandusky's lawyer Joe Amendola said the former coach is being railroaded by overzealous investigators and prosecutors.

He strenuously denied that accusations and Sandusky has maintained his innocence since his arrest last fall.

Amendola said the accusers were greedy an they lied about the abuse in the hopes of winning big payouts from Penn State University so they could drive new cars and buy big houses.

Mr Weaver has also filed a lawsuit and is being represented by a well-known attorney who has specialized in sex abuse cases against the Catholic church.

The abuse began in 1992, Mr Weaver told NBC's Rock Center, when he met Sandusky at a swimming pool at a camp sponsored by the Second Miles, which Sandusky founded to help at-risk young boys.

'It was like meeting my hero,' Mr Weaver said of Sandusky, who was once the top pick to replace legendary Penn State football coach Joe Paterno.

The individual attention Sandusky gave Mr Weaver began innocently, but gradually grew more and more sinister, he said.

It began with a shower in the Penn State football team's locker room.

'After the shower was over... he'd dry me off with a towel. He'd say he was trying to wrestle with me... and then it progressed into oral sex,' Mr Weaver told NBC.

He always assumed he was the only victim, he said.

He never imagined there have been other boys until Sandusky was arrested last fall.

Mr Weaver also blasted Sandusky's wife, Dottie, who testified that she never saw or heard anything that would have made her think her husband was molesting boys.

He recalled on incident when Sandusky performed oral sex on him in a bedroom across the hall from Mrs Sandusky.

'How could she not know?' Mr Weaver said.

He man said the abuse continued for four years until he moved away to Ohio to flee Sandusky.