Sinkholes
S

Arrow Down

Huge sinkhole swallows lorry in Nanning, China

© CENThe lorry will have taken some shifting after plunging into a sinkhole in China
Driver Li Hung had to quickly open his door and scramble to safety as the lorry was dragged back into the cavernous expanse

This is the incredible moment a yawning hole opened up and swallowed a truck.

Chinese driver Li Hung lived up to his name when he found himself hanging over the edge of a huge sinkhole that had opened up behind his lorry.

Li, 35, had been driving back to work in Nanning City, China, when he started to feel his vehicle slipping backwards.

He said: "It almost felt as if I hadn't put the brake on and I had started to roll downhill, but I had my foot on the brake and I realise that I was tipping back not because I was moving, but because of the sinking."

He told local TV he opened the door and jumped out just as the lorry disappeared into the huge hole.

Bizarro Earth

Elderly UK couple fears they may lose their home to giant sinkhole

sinkhole cottingham
© newsteamDavid Mason, 77, surveys the hole that has appeared in front of his home in Cottingham, Northamptonshire
An elderly couple fear their ยฃ210,000 bungalow could be swallowed up after a giant sink hole appeared in their front garden.

Great-grandparents David Mason, 77, and his wife Sylvia, 75, first spotted a small hole by the kerb outside their home on December 30 but thought it was caused by a lorry.

But the hole expanded at a 'staggering' speed and now measures 16ft by 12ft and is only a few feet away from their front door.

The 3ft-deep crater was first caused by a burst water main but heavy rain meant it grew even further.

Comment: Sinkholes have been appearing with alarming regularity around the world. Many are being explained as being due to heavy rainfall after storms, or subsidence caused by some nearby disturbance, whether natural or man-made. However, combined with the numerous earth changes occurring worldwide, sinkholes provide more evidence that earth's surface appears to be breaking up. For more information on what is really causing these changes, read Pierre Lescaudron's book Earth Changes and the Human-Cosmic Connection.

Arrow Down

Massive sinkhole swallows street in Sioux City, Iowa

© Tim Hynds, Sioux City Journal
An overnight watermain break has left about 15 homes without water service Monday in the Morningside area of Sioux City.

The break is in the 2800 block of Macomb Avenue. Overnight temperatures dipped below zero in advance of an approaching snowstorm, but City Utilities Department worker Randy Solomon said a cause hasn't been determined.

Comment: SOTT has been following the sinkhole phenomenon since the early 2000s. It was once a rare occurrence and is now a part of our 'normal' daily lives.

This 'sinkhole' phenomenon cannot be explained satisfactorily by old water mains breaking, the dissolution of underground rock or depleted aquifers. Very often the bedrock in locations hit with sinkholes was NOT water-soluble.

We suspect that the global increase in gaping sinkholes is the result of larger solar and seismic phenomena which cause Earth to 'open up' due to a weakened surface-core electric field. See Volcanoes are erupting all over the place right now. Scientists have figured out why: A minute slowdown in the planet's rotation for a recent article about a slowdown in the planet's rotation being at least partly responsible for increased volcanic activity.

For a more in-depth look at the electric connections within earthly and cosmic phenomena, see:
Earth Changes and the Human Cosmic Connection.

Arrow Down

15-foot-deep sinkhole appears on Pierce Street, Omaha

© Rebecca S. Gratz/The World-HeraldA sinkhole has formed on Pierce Street, east of the intersection with 20th Street.
A large portion of Pierce Street near 20th Street caved in on New Year's Day, exposing a hole 15 feet deep.

The sinkhole spans both lanes of traffic, an estimated 25 feet in diameter, said Craig Christians, manager of Omaha's sewer maintenance division.

"This cave in is on a much bigger scale than we usually see," Christians said. "A big one like this we don't see very often."

The city shut down Pierce Street east of 20th Street on Christmas Day after someone noticed the street sagging, he said. Pierce is 12 blocks south of Dodge Street.

Maintenance workers who opened a manhole cover discovered that a brick manhole, more than 100 years old, had collapsed, allowing water to wash out the soil underneath the street.

Christians said a hole at the bottom of the manhole likely started everything.

City workers monitoring the street on New Year's Day saw the giant hole for the first time.

"The pavement, under its own weight and (with) no support under it, collapsed," Christians said.

Because the hole is so deep, Christians said, it could take months to repair the street.

The last major sinkhole Christians could remember was at the intersection of 20th and Farnam Streets. A leaking pipe caused that sinkhole, which spanned about a quarter of the intersection.

Cow

Calf rescued from sinkhole in Alachua County, Florida

© John Haven, UF College of Veterinary MedicineAn Alachua County firefighter descends into a sinkhole to rescue a 2-day-old calf that fell in.
A mama cow's mournful lowing for her lost newborn ceased and was replaced with a joyful gallop after a team of Alachua County firefighters and staff at the University of Florida veterinary college rescued a 2-day-old calf from a sinkhole Saturday.

The technical rescue team members put training to the test when the calf slid into a newly formed sinkhole about 15 feet deep and 15 feet wide at a Newberry farm.

"If you could have seen the cow, the mother, come running past when we turned that calf loose," Alachua County Fire Rescue District Chief Jeff Harpe said. "She just goes running by like she was being chased by cowboys. As soon as we turned the calf loose, it looks around like, are you my mama? And then wanders off. Then here comes the galloping of the mother."

Comment: A short distance away from the above incident: Horse rescued from a sinkhole in Oxford, Florida field

Arrow Down

Large sinkhole appears on street in Bangor, Maine

© News CenterA 12 to 15-foot sinkhole that's 30 feet deep in the middle of Bangor's Hammond Street downtown.
Drivers are avoiding one big pot-hole on Hammond Street Tuesday

Public Works says a sinkhole developed overnight.

They say it's about 8 to 9 feet deep, 30 feet long, 15 feet wide and it's still growing.

No one was driving on the road when part of it collapsed around 1 A.M.

Horse

Horse rescued from a sinkhole in Oxford, Florida field

Bizarre scene: Owner Maryann Marsh tries to comfort Nate the horse after he was found in a sinkhole in his pasture in Oxford, Florida
There was no time for horsing around at a stable in Florida last Friday after a sinkhole nearly swallowed up one of the equines.

Nate, a 30-year-old nag living at TMMA Farms in the rural community of Oxford, was found with his head poking out of a grassy pasture while the rest of his body lay trapped below ground.

It took a team of around ten people - including fire personnel - more than two hours to haul the large animal to safety.

Video footage of the rescue shows how workers dug earth out around Nate's body in a bid to free him.

Arrow Down

Sinkhole swallows 3 cars in Melbourne, Australia

© Grant StevensonA sinkhole in Port Melbourne threatened to flood 50 homes at one stage, Melbourne Fire Brigade commander said.
Residents in a Melbourne suburb woke today to find a massive sinkhole that swallowed cars and trees.

Firefighters were called to Port Melbourne early on Tuesday after a 350mm cast iron water main ruptured under Liardet Street.

Witness Vanessa says she thought a tsunami had hit the waterside suburb.

"I heard car horns, car alarms going off erratically. I thought someone had broken into my car," she told Fairfax radio.

"I went out there, opened up my front door and saw two cars swallowed up in the street right outside my front door and all this water gushing down the street in front of me.

Comment: See also: Woman falls into three metre deep sinkhole in Melbourne, Australia

Arrow Down

Massive sinkhole opens up in Berkshire, England garden

The hole appeared nearly a fortnight ago and has been growing ever since
A "massive" sinkhole has appeared in the front garden of a house in Berkshire.

The 10m (32ft) wide and 5m (16ft) deep crater formed outside the family home of Sarah Jenkins, in Upper Basildon, near Reading.

Ms Jenkins said: "It's massive and it's getting bigger all the time."

Consultant engineer Dr Clive Edmonds described it as "one of the larger of the hole sizes to appear".

The hole first appeared on 5 December but is continuing to grow.

Ms Jenkins added: "The only access to our property has been across our neighbour's garden.

"It's taken out quite a bit of the driveway and garden and it's sitting underneath my children's climbing frame, so it's very serious.

"It's dangerous. Living with this is absolutely dreadful."

Arrow Down

2 men escape car moments before it topples into sinkhole, China

© KHOUSink hole in China
Two men jumped out of a car just in time in China.

A CCTV camera captured the moment a sinkhole formed in the middle of an intersection. One driver apparently couldn't see the whole and partially drove into. Both he and his passenger got out, just as the car fell into the hole upside down.

There were no injuries reported.

According to CBS News, Chinese officials said sand under the road gave way, creating the hole.