Sinkholes
S

Arrow Down

Woman falls into three metre deep sinkhole in Melbourne, Australia

The hole where that the woman fell into.
A woman has been rescued from a three metre deep sinkhole that opened up in her backyard in Melbourne while she was hanging up her washing.

The 45-year-old was forced to swim and float in water at the bottom of the sinkhole for about half an hour, until her cries for help attracted the attention of neighbours.

Authorities now believe that the hole was on the site of an old well.

An Ambulance Victoria spokesman said the woman was hanging up washing in the backyard about 11.30am when the sinkhole opened up under her feet.

"The woman told us she was hanging washing out in the backyard at about 11.30 this morning when the ground gave way," Paramedic Stephanie Palamberis said.

"She fell with the dirt and mud, dropping about three metres and landing in waist deep water. At one stage her head was under the water.

Bizarro Earth

Sinkhole opens up near old mine in Russia's Ural Mountains

sinkhole russia urals
The sinkhole was first discovered by Uralkali's Solikamsk-2 mine workers on November 18. According to local emergency services, it's located some two miles from the mine itself, in an old abandoned mine.
A sinkhole 20 by 30 meters (65 by 98 feet) in size has been found near a Uralkali mine in Russia's Perm region. While the company says the development is of no further threat, locals fear the whole nearby town could go underground.

The sinkhole was first discovered by Uralkali's Solikamsk-2 mine workers on November 18. According to local emergency services, it's located some two miles from the mine itself, in an old abandoned mine.

Old, out-of-use garden patches were affected by the accident, and there is no danger to locals, as the sinkhole is in no close proximity to any residential buildings, the company said.

There are no "catastrophic" effects of the sinkhole neither for the company, nor for the locals, Uralkali CEO Dmitry Osipov said, adding that the incident has been localised.

Comment: Sinkholes are becoming a common occurrence - here is a global map of sinkholes reported just this year alone:

Cloud Precipitation

Severe storms and flash flooding cause chaos in Brisbane

© Adam Smith/News Corp AustraliaFlooding caused many residents to abandon their cars.
Video of a man doing backstroke in Brisbane's Queen Street Mall has emerged after the city suffered through one of its most devastating thunderstorms in years. Residents and businesses have been cleaning up today after a severe storm caused flooding and saw houses set on fire in south east Queensland. Damage from the storm and flash flooding includes a four metre sinkhole that opened up on Orchard Rd, Richlands.
© Tara Croser/News Corp AustraliaA sinkhole (located behind the dirt) in Richlands.
© Jessy Webber
During the storm yesterday afternoon more than 16,000 lightning strikes were recorded on the GPATs system, according to electricity provider Energex. Footage also emerged of a possible tornado on the outskirts of Brisbane.

While some watched in awe at nature's display from the comfort of their homes, others embraced the downpour, with one man captured doing breaststroke in Brisbane's Queen Street Mall.

Arrow Down

2 mudslides kill four along Swiss-Italian border

At least four people were killed as landslides triggered by torrential rain slammed into houses and buildings on either side of the Swiss Italian border Sunday, police and media said.

In the rain-drenched southern Ticino region of Switzerland, two people died and four were injured when a mudslide slammed into a small residential building, regional police said.

On the other side of the border, a pensioner and his granddaughter were killed when another landslide engulfed a house on the Italian shores of Lake Maggiore, local media reported. Three other family members survived.

Those landslides were the latest of many to recently have hit northern Italy and southern Switzerland amid incessant rainfall over recent weeks.

Arrow Down

Landslide kills two as storm death toll reaches 11 in Italy

© AFPFlooding in Genoa.
A landslide triggered by torrential rain engulfed a house on the shores of Italy's Lake Maggiore on Sunday, killing a pensioner and his granddaughter in what a neighbour described as a "horrific" tragedy.

The 70-year-old man died after the house was partially buried in a "sea of mud" unleashed after the hill behind the building gave way as a result of the unprecedented volumes of rainfall experienced across swaths of northern Italy in the last two weeks.

Rescue workers managed to drag the 16-year-old granddaughter from the rubble after more than four hours of digging but she died later in hospital.

Her parents and grandmother survived. The family's small, two-storey villa was the only property affected in Cerro, a hamlet on the outskirts of Laveno Mombello, a popular holiday spot.

House

Second 10-foot-wide sinkhole opens up in Florida next door to home where car was swallowed

A second sinkhole has opened in Pasco, Florida next door to the home where a car was swallowed after a 10-foot-wide crater opened in the ground on Monday.

Geologists have been called in to survey the hole which initially opened at a width of five-feet, but by mid-afternoon on Tuesday had expanded to the same size as the first depression. One resident has been evacuated bringing the total number of homes evacuated to seven after the first sinkhole developed outside the mobile home park and swallowed a black Hyundai.

The first hole was barely 4ft wide by 4ft deep when fire crews arrived at the mobile home in Holiday, Florida, at around 10.45am on Monday - but by 11 am it had grown to 10ft by 10ft.The family living at 1728 Torch St, where the hole opened up, have been told their house will be condemned - while five neighboring families were also evacuated.

The Red Cross was called to provide temporary shelter for the residents while experts assess the damage to their houses.

Heather Furlani, who arrived in Florida just last week with her husband and dog Coco, told WFLA she was given just minutes to leave. She said: 'I ran in and grabbed my purse and here I am. That's all I got - and my dog.' Because the hole is on private property it will be up to the home insurance company to fill in the hole and repair the building, according to a Pasco County Spokesman.

Comment: Expanding sinkhole in Florida swallows car in driveway, forces evacuations of 6 other homes

Bizarro Earth

Expanding sinkhole in Florida swallows car in driveway, forces evacuations of 6 other homes

Six Tampa Bay-area families were evacuated from their homes after a car fell into a hole that developed in a driveway.

Pasco County officials say the hole that developed Monday in Holiday was 10 feet wide and 10 feet deep. County spokesman Doug Tobin says engineers had not confirmed that it was sinkhole.

Officials say the mobile home where the hole developed and five others nearby were evacuated as a safety precaution. No one was injured.

Comment: "...sinkholes are relatively common in Florida. Since 2010, about 300 sinkholes have occurred in residential areas." They may be becoming more common but the question is why are they becoming more common? Is the Earth opening up and if so, why? Earth Changes and the Human Cosmic Connection: The Secret History of the World - Book 3

Binoculars

Experts exploring depths of frozen Siberian mystery crater to understand its origins

When frozen, the accessible parts of crater (pictured from below) are around 54ft (16.5 metres) deep, and scientists captured these latest remarkable images by using climbing gear to reach a frozen lake 34ft (10.5 metres) at the bottom. It is thought the crater was formed when heating from underground fissures released gas hydrates causing the dramatic blowout
Remarkable new images have emerged showing the haunting beauty of a mysterious Siberian crater.

The photographs were released as it was revealed scientists are monitoring satellite images to check for other similar holes in northern Russia in a desperate attempt to understand their origin.

And, for the first time, Siberian scientists have used climbing gear to reach a frozen lake 34ft (10.5 metres) deep in the hole to carry out tests.

Comment: See also: Russian scientists suggest Siberian exploding holes 'are the key to Bermuda Triangle'

Arrow Down

Cape Town driver escapes death as sinkhole swallows her car

© Ayesha ParkerA Parow woman narrowly escaped death when her car became engulfed by a sinkhole in Low Road, Wetton on 1 November 2014.
Cape Town - A Parow woman narrowly escaped death when her car became engulfed by a sinkhole in Low Road, Wetton.

Cape Town local Ayesha Parker was driving home one evening when she suddenly felt the road collapse underneath her. The next moment, her car had sunk deep into the earth and all that surrounded her was gravel.

"I was in a hole and I didn't know I was in a hole. The hole covered the entire car right up to the roof. I was terrified."

A couple, who had witnessed the incident, rushed to Parker's rescue by bravely pulling her out of her car to safety.

"They saw the car disappear into the ground. They just told me to get out immediately. I stood on my seat and they dragged me to safety. As they did that, the car sunk further and immediately started to fill with water."

Comment: While this sinkhole may have been caused by a broken water main, which is common explanation for sinkholes, but something is off, in that the sinkhole phenomena has risen dramatically in the last 10 years. SOTT.net has been following reports since this new generation of sinkholes started opening up in increasing frequency. Here's a look at the last 5 years of sinkhole reports gathered on SOTT.

See : Earth Changes and the Human Cosmic Connection for clues on what may be the probable trigger of this and other earth change phenomena happening all around us.

Arrow Down

Mother and child killed in Ticino landslide, Switzerland

© RSIWater cascades over retaining wall onto road in Locarno area of Ticino.
A landslide that swept a home away claimed the lives of a 31-year-old woman and her three-year-old daughter in the canton of Ticino, cantonal police said on Thursday.

The slide carried away the house in a heavily wooded area in Bombinasco at around 6.15pm, police said in a statement.

The victims, who were renting the home, were retrieved by searchers including a dog team, fire fighters and police officers, at 4.30am on Thursday, the statement said.

Police said the landslide occurred on a steep slope and wiped out the equivalent of 4,500 cubic metres of wood, mainly from chestnut trees.

Claudio Zali, cantonal minister of lands, said the area was not considered at risk for such an event.