Extreme Temperatures
S

Ice Cube

'Global Warming Surprises'

earth on fire

Guest essay by Dr. Fred Singer

Exploring some of the intricacies of GW [Global Warming] science can lead to surprising results that have major consequences. In a recent invited talk at the Heartland Institute's ICCC-12 [Twelfth International Conference on Climate Change], I investigated three important topics:

1. Inconsistencies in the surface temperature record.

2. Their explanation as artifacts arising from the misuse of data.

3. Thereby explaining the failure of IPCC to find credible evidence for anthropogenic global warming (AGW).

A misleading graph

In the iconic picture of the global surface temperature of the 20th century [fig 1, top] one can discern two warming intervals — in the initial decades (1910-42) and in the final decades, 1977 to 2000.

Although these two trends look similar, they are really quite different: the initial warming is genuine, but the later warming is not. What a surprise! I wouldn't exactly call it 'fake,' but it just does not exist; I try to demonstrate this difference as an artifact of the data-gathering process, by comparing with several independent data sets covering similar time intervals.
Fig 1 20th century temps; top—global; bottom– US
Fig 1 20th century temps; top—global; bottom– US

Snowflake Cold

April in Finland was colder, wetter and snowier than usual

Snow Finland
The Finnish Meteorological Institute's figures show that April 2017 was colder, wetter and snowier than average, confirming the gut instincts of most of those who reside in Finland.

April was unusually damp and cold in Finland, according to the weather stats released on Tuesday by the Meteorological Institute (FMI). Across most of the country the temperature was between one and two degrees lower than average.

In the south you have to go back to 2013 to find a similarly frigid month, in the centre of the country 2003 was the last time it was this grim, and in the north it hasn't been so cold and snowy in April since 1998.

Comment: See also: Highly unusual snowfall in Finland?

Snowflake Cold

Cold weather is keeping birds from nesting and delaying blossoming of wild berry bushes in Finland's north

Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan in snow
There is still plenty of snow in the forests of Lapland, and there is ice on many of its lakes and rivers. Spring has inched forward slowly and temperatures, especially at night, are frigid. Right now, the weather in Lapland is 4C-5C below the long-term average.

The cold is being reflected in the late arrival of migratory birds. According to Jukka Jokimäki, a researcher at the University of Lapland's Arctic Centre, the institution's annual count of migratory birds is now on hold because so few have come as far north as the Arctic Circle.

"At the beginning of April it looked like we'd have an early spring, but migration has been at a standstill and is around a week and a half late. Wagtails are the only insect eaters being seen. Wading birds are missing altogether, which is understandable since all of our ponds and lakes are still covered by ice," reports Jokimäki.

Ice Cube

Headed for more than a 'little-ice age'

chen dynasty ice age
The latest Adapt 2030 video suggests something longer than a mini or little ice age. The creator of Adapt 2030, David DyByne, firmly believes this will not be a 400-year cooling event, but rather, that a 1,500- to 2,000-year cooling event is about to strike our planet.

DyByne bases his conclusion on the correlation of the sharp increases in volcanism that accompany Grand Solar Minimums. For example, a massive eruption of El Chichon in southern Mexico around 540 A.D. dumped 8-foot-deep layers of ash around Central America. The eruption brought on the 100-year Maya Dark Age and was responsible for temperature drops across the northern hemisphere when global temperatures dropped 2C.

El Chichon was just one of a chain of eruptions between 536 AD and 545 AD that caused widespread climate change, says DuByne. It had devastating effects on crop production across Europe as agricultural production declined significantly. The Rabaul volcano in New Guinea erupted at about the same time, and again, it was just part of a series of eruptions.

Comment: See also: Grand solar minimum volcanoes simultaneously collapsed Mayan, Roman & Chinese societies

Ice Cube

Highly unusual snowfall in Finland?

Finalnd snow
© Marja Väänänen / Yle
Email from reader in Finland

Hello Robert,

It's been snowing in Finland in May and it's been highly unusual. I couldn't find any English news about it yet, which seems a bit fishy to me. However, I'm sure they might report about it later on the Yle News section.

I try to keep on spreading the message about the coming mini ice age, but the mainstream media is doing a good job when it comes to pushing propaganda and lies about the "global warming". We have a spotless sun again!

Also see: "April was colder, wetter and snowier than usual"

Ice Cube

U.S. Northeast at risk for freeze - Maybe snow?

woman in snow
© Michael Dwyer/AP Photo
Conditions more typical of early April or March for an extended period. (I assume this is caused, of course, by global warming.)

A vortex could bring unseasonably chilly conditions and frost to the northeastern US into next week, according to AccuWeather.com.

Areas at risk for a frost or freeze will extend from part of the Great Lakes region to the central Appalachians and western New England early Wednesday morning.

There is even a chance of wet snow in the mountains of eastern New York state and western New England.

Ice Cube

Snowfall in Kiev - On May 10

kiev snow May 2017
Snow May 10, 2017 in Kiev
On May 10 in Kiev on Lukyanovka and in the Podolsky district snow fell. This is reported by users in social networks.
"It was snow. Thick. Cereals. Within a minute. And I would have missed it if there had not been a sudden explosion of insane child happiness in the nearby kindergarten, which made me take my eyes off the computer. The sun has melted it all in seconds, "- wrote journalist Julia Borisko in her Facebook.
Thanks to Argiris Diamantis for these links

In Kyev, Ukrain, now the European Songfestival is going on, says Argiris. "Millions of people in Europe and Australia (this country is strangely enough also participating in the EUROvision Songfestival) are watching this event on television.

None of the reporters has mentioned: Guess what, today it was snowing here. The snow did not last long in the city, but on the road to Chernigov there was much more snow.

The MSM keeps quiet about snowfall, the public doesn't need to know this. This is how Fake News manipulates us.

Better Earth

Analysis of NASA data shows modern temperature trends are not unusual - Video

iceball earth
Michael Thomas writes:

An important aspect of the climate change debate can be summed up like this: "One position holds that medieval warm temperatures reached levels similar to the late twentieth century and maintained that the LIA was very cold, while another position holds that past variability was less than present extremes and that the temperature rise of recent decades is unmatched". This video challenges whether the rise of recent decades is unmatched.

The overall trend since 1880 when instrumental data started is 0.11 degrees Celsius per decade. This is according to NOAA data for northern hemisphere land records. The most extreme trend occurs between 2006 and 2016 and is, according to NOAA, is 0.38 degrees Celsius per decade.
Eight separate studies of historical data, all of which are referenced by the IPCC in the 2013 report, are examined to see whether the trend between 2006 and 2016 is indeed unmatched over the past two thousand years.

Multiple examples were found where trends equaled or exceeded over the past two thousand years.

Ice Cube

Record snowfall on Palomar Mountain, California

mt palomar
More than double previous record for May 7th. Also, record cold in San Diego and many other California cities. Palomar Mountain is a mountain ridge in the Peninsular Ranges in northern San Diego County, California. It is home to the Palomar Observatory and Hale Telescope.

Meanwhile, the max temp in San Diego today (7 May 2017) rose to only 59 degrees F, breaking the previous record of 60 F set in 1930.

Bizarro Earth

Michigan freeze: Two million pounds of asparagus lost

asparagus
All the early asparagus crop is ruined at a farm in Oceana County, where the overnight temperature Monday, May 8, dropped below freezing.
An estimated two-million pounds of the asparagus crop in Oceana County was lost this week due to freezing temperatures. Around 65-percent of the state's asparagus crop is grown in Oceana County where (I heard on the radio this morning) temperatures are running about 10 degrees F below normal.

Michigan Asparagus Advisory Board executive director John Bakker says they think they only lost about ten-percent of the overall crop.