Waer district
© Omar Sanadiki / Reuters
The entrance of the Waer district is pictured in the central Syrian city of Homs, Syria September 19, 2016
The initial seven days of the nationwide ceasefire in Syria have run their course, the Syrian Army has declared. It did not add whether the truce will be reinstated in the near future.

The Syrian Army's statement blames "terrorist groups" for jeopardizing the cessation of hostilities, Reuters reports.

"It was assumed that the ceasefire will present a real chance to end the bloodshed, but terrorist groups did not adhere to any of the points of the agreement on a ceasefire, the number of violations on their part has exceeded 300," reads the statement published by SANA news.

According to the statement, the Syrian Army has "shown the highest level of endurance in confronting the abuses by terrorist groups."

The Russia-US brokered cessation of hostilities came into force on September 12 at 16:00 GMT. The deal was signed by Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and his US counterpart, John Kerry, after marathon talks in Geneva earlier this month.

The Syrian Army claims that "armed terrorist groups took advantage of the declared ceasefire" in order to regroup and mobilize additional forces. It adds that the militants aimed to continue attacks on"residential areas" and military sites in several regions, including the war-ravaged town of Aleppo.

On Sunday the Russian Defense Ministry said that the ceasefire had been observed only by the Syrian government troops, while the US-backed rebels had tried to use the truce to strengthen their forces.

"During the sixth day of the ceasefire ... only the Syrian government troops have been actually observing the moratorium on combat operations," Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Major-General Igor Konashenkov said.

The cessation of hostilities also suffered a big setback on Saturday following the US-led coalition airstrikes on Syrian government forces. Some 62 soldiers were killed and over 100 wounded as a result of the attack. While Washington called the incident a mistake, Syrian leader Bashar Assad spoke of "flagrant aggression."