VICTORIA - The teen killers who raped and murdered 18-year-old Kimberly Proctor are psychopaths and sexual sadists with little or no capacity for remorse and almost no chance of rehabilitation in the next 25 to 30 years, various psychologists and psychiatrists testified at their trial.

Kruse Wellwood, 17, and Cameron Moffat, 18, were sentenced this week to life in prison with no chance of parole for at least 10 years for killing Proctor, whose charred remains were discovered on a popular Victoria-area hiking trail on March 19, 2010, one day after her family reported her missing.

The disturbing details of her death, and the twisted young minds that planned and carried out the horrific slaying, emerged after a publication ban was lifted in the case.

Documents released by the court Wednesday include transcripts of police interviews, in which Moffat describes how he and his friend bound Proctor's ankles and wrists with duct tape and then took turns sexually assaulting her.

"If you're gonna restrain anything you know, like, um, shackles in prison you know," Moffat tells RCMP interrogator Martin D'Anjou. "Legs and arms and like, when you hog-tie a hog, you use ex-... extremities."

During a long interview in which Moffatt is too immature to even say out loud what he did to the young woman, he later tells the officer he sat in the living room watching TV while Wellwood beat and sexually assaulted her in another room.

"I went and sat in the living room just, the TV was on and, just sittin' there wholeheartedly... tryin' to forget what's happening and uh, watching the TV," Moffat said.

The youths, who pleaded guilty to first-degree murder last fall, lured the Grade 12 student to Wellwood's home, sexually assaulted her for several hours.

Court heard they beat Proctor unconscious, suffocated her with a plastic bag and stuffed her body in a deep freeze at the home. The next day they loaded her mutilated body into a duffel bag and travelled by bus to a well-known high school party spot beneath the Galloping Goose regional trail bridge, where they set the body ablaze using a can of camp stove fuel.

During sentencing arguments, court heard that the two longtime friends met each other in Grade 5 and began dropping out of school together, lighting fires for kicks and displaying a growing tendency for violence.

In his reasons for judgment, B.C. Supreme Court Judge Robert Johnston noted that the two killers shared an interest in computers that "expanded to include violent and sexual fantasies" as they became teenagers.

But long before they planned the murder in the fall of 2009, the local school district identified both teens as high-risk students with troubled backgrounds.

Wellwood's crime bears an eerie resemblance to one committed by his father, Robert Dezwann, who was convicted of first-degree murder in the 2001 killing of 16-year-old Cherish Oppenheim of Merritt. Dezwaan is serving life in prison, with no chance of parole for 15 years, after admitting he got the teenager drunk, had sex with her and then beat her to death.

Wellwood's lawyer, Bob Jones, said earlier this week his client was the target of schoolyard taunts over his father.

As early as Grade 7, Wellwood displayed severe antisocial behaviour and school officials felt he posed "a serious risk to himself or others," court heard.

In 2008, while attending Pacific Secondary, the same school as Proctor, Wellwood was declared "beyond the capacity" of teachers and school officials to manage. Identified as "potentially gifted," despite his "rude, arrogant and superior attitude," he was allowed back into school in April 2009.

Court heard he verbally and physically abused his mother and was involved in fights, in one case slashing another teen's head open with a bicycle chain and suffering a broken nose in another altercation. In the summer of 2009, Wellwood was hospitalized following a bout of excessive drinking.

During sentencing Monday, Johnston noted that Moffat was sexually abused at age three and became "difficult to manage, destructive and dangerous" at an early age.

After his parents separated at age nine, he refused to attend after-school care while his mother was at work, resulting "in a lot of unsupervised time," Johnston noted.

Psychiatric reports entered as evidence in court said Moffat started hitting his sister at age 10 and had frequent conflicts both in his family and outside the home.

He was suspended twice at one school and, two months before Proctor's murder, was banned indefinitely from another school for threatening his sister with a pair of box cutters. In his last four years of school, Moffat passed just five classes.

In November 2009, as their violent fantasies were spinning out of control, the friends talked about raping a girl they knew from high school, whom Wellwood was romantically involved with at the time.

Proctor was chosen as their victim just weeks prior to her death. Both had made romantic overtures toward her the previous year, advances she spurned.

On the day of the murder, while Proctor's body was in the Wellwood family freezer, Moffat contacted a former girlfriend and invited her over to the house.

In the following days, Moffat sent a message to Wellwood, referring to a character in the online role playing game World of Warcraft, that said: "So we killed that bitch and it wasn't too hard, we should do it again."