Storms strand 100s at Philly airport

Airlines canceled or delayed flights as thunderstorms rolled across the region, stranding many passengers at Philadelphia International Airport through the night, airport spokeswoman Phyllis Van Istendal said this morning.

Bad weather in Philadelphia and other cities planes were attempting to fly to or from caused hundreds of cancellations late Tuesday, and airport officials handed out disposable pillows, blankets and snacks to about 750 people who spent the night, Van Istendal said.

Others endured long waits in planes that arrived but could not get gates. Lisa Rosen said her husband, Michael, had waited about two hours for a gate assignment on a Southwest Airlines flight that arrived from Las Vegas at 1:25 a.m. Wednesday.

By 5 a.m., operations were returning to normal, and only a handful of cancellations remained, Van Istendal said.

With more thunderstorms possible on Wednesday, however, people were urged to check on flights before going to the airport, she said.

Storms cause airport delays in Wash. DC and Baltimore
AP, 13 June 2007

Travelers should expect long lines and delays as airlines try to get back on track after hundreds of flights nationwide were canceled and delayed by stormy weather. Click here for more details.

According to the Federal Aviation Administration's Web site, all three District-area airports, Baltimore Washington International, Reagan National and Washington Dulles International, are experiencing delays.

Average gate delays at Baltimore-Washington International Airport and Reagan National Airport are at least 15 minutes.

But Washington Dulles International Airport is experiencing heavier departure delays, with some pushed back as much as 45 minutes.

According to the FAA, all travelers who are flying today should check with their individual airlines for further information on delays and cancellations.

Storms Back up Airport Security - Atlanta
Tiffany Cochran,, 13 June 2007

After two days of severe weather in the Metro Atlanta area and the threat of more to come, homeowners were working fast to clean up existing storm damage as airport officials try to get delayed flights back on track.

The storms that rolled through the region Tuesday night downed trees and caused power outages to thousands of people. In one of the hardest hit areas, lightning sparked several house fires in Gwinnett County where, at one point during the night, every single fire station was answering emergency calls.

The severe weather Tuesday night teamed with the already busy travel season to add up to lengthy lines and flight delays by Wednesday morning. Security lines had extended past the atrium with some travelers forced to wait in line for nearly two hours before reaching their assigned gates.

The lines had been reduced by early Wednesday afternoon but airport officials asked for continued patience as they worked to improve the situation.

"About 8:30 last night, we received information about a ground stoppage at the airport. We had a severe thunderstorm warning for the airport as well as some weather problems in the northeastern part of the country," said airport spokesman Herschel Grangent.

"It just made for a situation this morning where we had a lot of people in line."

This week is one of the busiest of the summer travel season. Airport officials warned passengers to get to the airport early and call ahead to get your flight status.

11Alive's Flip Spiceland warned viewers at noon that intense thunderstorms were still possible Wednesday afternoon, although not as intense as those that hit the region Monday and Tuesday.