Animals
S

Attention

Murre (guillemot) die-off in the thousands in Kachemak Bay, Alaska

Dead bird
Common Murres, like the one held by Wildlife Biologist Leslie Slater on the beach along the Spit in Homer, are turning up along beaches all around the Kachemak Bay area.
Die-offs of common murres have been taking place across Alaska since summer and the latest report is from Kachemak Bay, according to biologists with the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge in Homer.

Wildlife biologist Leslie Slater says there have been two waves of mortality.

"This die-off started to be noticed around mid-July in certain parts of the state. And so it continued at some level — a fairly high, noticeable level — for a couple weeks and then it seemed to diminish and then there seemed to be resurgence again of the number of carcasses that we were seeing on beaches, and that happened in mid-November or so," Slater said.

There have been die-offs reported of the penguin-like sea birds in Cold Bay in July and in Kodiak in November. Slater says they've also had reports from Seward, Sitka and Prince William Sound. In November starving and dead murres turned up around the Mat-Su and Anchorage areas, farther inland than usual.

"It seems that then they would either be disoriented, which could be the result of ingesting a toxin or they could be very desperate in searching for food and just kept traveling up the inlet," Slater said.

Comment: See also these other reports for 2015: Common murre (guillemot) die-off along the waterfront in Seward, Alaska

High number of dying seabirds found in San Francisco Bay Area

Pacific seabirds dying in record numbers - 100,000 auklets

More dead seabirds found on Oregon beaches

Fish

Thousands of dead fish found on beach in Western Australia

Dead fish
© Department of FisheriesThe fish washed up in Wickham.
Western Australia's Department of Fisheries is investigating what caused thousands of dead bait fish to wash up on a beach in the Pilbara.

The department was made aware of the incident, which occurred at Wickham, around 50km east of Karratha, by a member of the public on Tuesday, the ABC reports.

A fisheries official visited the scene and estimated that at least 4000 fish of the same species were strewn across the beach.

The Department of Fisheries northern region manager Peter Godfrey said he could not recall such an incident ever occurring in the Karratha area.

"We do occasionally get reports of small fish kills, but certainly there has been nothing major in the area," he said.

Cow Skull

Dead humpback whale washes ashore in Washington state

yearling humpback whale
© Peter HaleyA team from Highline College’s Marine Science and Technology Center prepares Wednesday to tow a yearling humpback whale off the beach just north of Gig Harbor.
A dead yearling humpback whale that washed ashore in Gig Harbor last week was hitched to the stern of a boat Wednesday and towed across the Tacoma Narrows to the Thea Foss Waterway.

Once in Tacoma, the 23-foot long whale was to be placed on a flatbed tow truck and carted back across the Tacoma Narrows — this time via the bridge — to a farm in Gig Harbor.

On Saturday, the Cascadia Research Collective will do a necropsy to determine the animal's cause of death. Then a crew of volunteers will help cut up the whale and bury it under a heap of horse manure on the farm to help it decompose.

By summer, the volunteers will return to exhume the whale and clean its skeleton before bringing it back to the Thea Foss Waterway.

Attention

Dead humpback whale washes ashore in Sandford, Canada

Dead whale washes ashore in Sandford
Dead whale washes ashore in Sandford
A dead male humpback whale, about 30 feet long, was discovered washed ashore in Sandford on Wednesday.

At low tide around 4 p.m. the body was located, upside down, several hundred feet from shore, about half a kilometre south of the Sandford wharf.

Andrew Reid, a response coordinator with the Marine Animal Response Society (MARS), says typically, when whales die, they tend to float upside down because of decomposition gases and the expansion of their throat.

"It's difficult to say what caused the animal's death without examining it," he said.

Attention

Shark attacks diver off Fernando de Noronha, Brazil

Shark attacks
A shark ripped off a Brazilian diver's forearm as he swam off the tropical archipelago of Fernando de Noronha, the first such attack to hit the UNESCO world heritage site, authorities said Tuesday.

The 33-year-old scuba enthusiast was vacationing in the protected marine reserve off Brazil's northeastern coast when the shark attacked him Monday during a diving excursion gone horribly wrong.

He will undergo surgery Tuesday at a hospital in Recife, on the mainland, and is currently in stable condition, the hospital said.

It was the first shark attack ever recorded in Fernando de Noronha, a pristine national park famous for its turquoise water and rich marine life.

Authorities have closed the beach where the attack occurred, on the archipelago's southeastern coast.

Comment: See also: Sailor attacked by shark as he clung to the side of rescue buoy in Caribbean Sea

Attention

Loggerhead turtle normally found in the Caribbean found on British beach

Loggerhead turtle
Sighting: The turtles are rare visitors to Britain's cold waters and only a few hundred have been found here
A huge loggerhead turtle normally found in the Caribbean has stunned wildlife experts after being washed up on a British beach.

The 3ft turtle, whose species are very rare visitors to Britain's cold waters, was discovered thousands of miles from home on the shore at Langton Matravers in Dorset.

This was the biggest of the few hundred of the turtles that have ever been found in the UK, and it was discovered by Steve Trewhella after he learned it had been spotted on an isolated beach.

Mr Trewhella - alongside three other experience rescuers - braved the stormy weather to find the turtle, which they found to be badly injured with holes in its shell and damaged flippers.

He said: 'I received notification from Dorset Wildlife trust that a member of the public had found a stranded and live turtle on a beach near Chapmans Pool in the Purbecks.

Attention

More than 45 dead dolphins found on the shores of Oman

DEAD dolphins
Dead dolphin
More than 45 dolphins were washed ashore in Khabourah province during the past two weeks, according to residents.

Residents demanded that authorities bury the dead dolphins as a stench was starting to develop from the carcasses.

Pictures of the dead dolphins went viral on the social media, with many users demanding that the authorities intervene and deal with the issue.

Reasons behind the death are not yet clear.

Ahmad Al Beloushi, an environmental expert, told Gulf News that one of the reasons may be that many dolphins swim towards the shores and cannot go back to the sea.

He also attributed the deaths to a shortage of oxygen during red tide, adding that oil spills from ships also lead to suffocation of the fish in general.

Attention

Aggressive raccoon attacks woman and her dogs in Vancouver; 4th attack in area this year

Raccoon
Raccoon
Helene recounts the violent encounter she and her dogs, Chip and Salsa, had with a vicious raccoon. She was out for a walk in downtown Vancouver's Coal Harbour neighbourhood around 4:30 p.m. last week when out of nowhere a raccoon charged at her, biting her legs and then grabbing her dogs.

"I reached in to get my two dogs out. Then the raccoon looks at me very angry and starts attacking me," she said.

Despite being overcome with fear, Helene was able to fight back.

"He was stuck on biting my legs. He was on my left leg and I was kicking him as hard as I could with my right leg."

She screamed and tried to get into her apartment, but the raccoon followed and kept charging at Helene and her dogs.

"I was afraid for my own life."

Comment: See also: Resident warns of raccoon attacks in Vancouver; 3 in the region this year

Attention

Dead baby whale found on Santa Monica State Beach, California

dead neonate gray whale
© LACoFD Lifeguards A dead neonate gray whale washed ashore in Santa Monica State Beach on Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2014.
A dead 10-foot baby whale washed ashore near a lifeguard tower in Santa Monica State Beach on Tuesday.

Los Angeles County Fire Department Lifeguards said the neonate gray whale was spotted around 2 p.m. near Lifeguard Tower 12, located at 1200 Ocean Walk Front.

The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles was on its way to pick up the 1,200-pound mammal.

The cause of death was not immediately available.

Attention

Dead humpback whale found on Cape Town beach, South Africa

Dead humpback whale
Dead humpback whale
Cape Town officials have started the task of removing a dead humpback whale from Strand Beach. The whale washed ashore overnight and lodged in the reef, the city's environmental corporate governance director Gregg Oelofse said.

Oelofse said it's "nothing unusual" and that "quite a lot of this" happens this time of the year. News24 reports that Oelofse said their whale stranding team was "pretty proficient" and hoped to get the carcass off the beach on Wednesday. The removal depended on the tides and weather conditions.

"We have asked that the public give us space. We will try and put chains and straps around it and lift it onto a flatbed truck. It is big machinery and if those chains snap, it can be very dangerous."

The carcass will be moved to a landfill site for disposal.