Animals
S

Info

New study finds frogs going extinct about 10K times faster than historical rate

gopher frog
© Kevin Enge/U.S. Fish & Wildlife ServiceThe endangered gopher frog, endemic to Southeastern United States, is losing its natural habitat.
A new study finds that 200 frog species around the world have gone extinct since the 1970s and hundreds more could disappear in the next 100 years.

The study, published this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, finds that frogs are going extinct about 10,000 times faster than their historical rates.

"Many frogs around the world are in a death spiral and desperately need our help," said Jenny Loda, a Center for Biological Diversity attorney and scientist focused on protecting amphibians and reptiles.

Comment: All life on Earth is going through sixth mass extinction

Attention

Three elephants kill two women in West Bengal, India

Pachyderm
Two women were killed and another was injured on Thursday when they were attacked by elephants in West Bengal's Bankura district, an official said. The three women had gone to collect mushrooms from a forest when they were attacked by three elephants. Ashoka Sheet, 45, and Rabibala Das, 65, died, said Divisional Forest Officer Pinaki Mitra.

The incident occurred in a forest under Belboni beat office near Matla village at around 5.30 AM. The three women had gone to the forest to collect mushrooms when three elephants attacked them, Belboni beat office ranger Amit Patra said. While 45-year-old Ashoka Shit died on the spot, 55-year-old Rabibala Das died soon after her admidission to Bankura Sammilani Medical College and Hospital at Bankura, he said.

Attention

Beached whale found near Port Lincoln, South Australia

© Kiwi WhiteA five-metre long whale has beached itself near Port Lincoln in South Australia.
A five-metre long whale has beached itself in the shallows of a popular surf beach near Port Lincoln on the Eyre Peninsula in South Australia.

The Environment Department said the dead whale, found near Lone Pine Beach, could be a minke.

A minke whale beached itself in the area last month but was rescued by locals.

That whale had been rescued three times from the Port Lincoln foreshore after swimming into shallow water during low tide.

Peter Wilkins from the department said they had not ruled out that the dead whale was the same animal.

"I guess it is a possibility that that's the case," he said.

"It's a fair way from here, it's the same size but like I said, there are a number of whale species that are about that size that do wash up."

Fish

Tens of thousands of dead fish found on Sakhalin island, Russia

© Aleksander KochetkovFar Eastern Sardines, also known as iwashi, were swept onto the Sakhalin coastline.
Pictures and videos showed the unusual phenomenon as the Far Eastern Sardines, also known as iwashi, were swept onto the coastline. Beaches were literally carpeted with sardines.

Fish expert Nikolay Kim said the weather conditions had caused 'strong daily fluctuations' in water temperature. 'In the afternoon it is warm, but at night the temperature falls sharply,' he said. 'The sardines cannot withstand such fluctuations and can be found in a large number on the shore.'

In such conditions, the fish become inactive - and are swept ashore by waves. These sardines are found in in subtropical waters but in early summer migrate to the south-west coast of Sakhalin for fattening, staying until mid-October.

News agency Interfax - Far East reported that water in the southern part of the Tatar Strait warmed to 20C, but a recent cyclone led to a sharp decrease in its temperature.

For locals it was a bonanza, and a free lunch. Experts say the fish are edible.

Attention

Sleeping Idaho hunter wakes up to find bear biting his head

Black bear
A hunter asleep in the remote Idaho wilderness woke up when he felt something tugging on his hair. Then he heard the black bear breathing.

Stephen Vouch, 29, reached behind his head and felt it was wet. He yelled when he realized a bear was biting at his head.

"He got a hold of my head, and that's what woke me up," the Boise resident said Wednesday, who was in the rugged area hunting bighorn sheep with friends. "That's when I kind of freaked out. That's when I could hear the bear breathing on me."

His scream startled the bear, which jumped and hit the tarp above where they were sleeping. The tarp tumbled, entangling the animal and the hunters around 2 a.m. Friday.

Fish

Thousands of dead fish found along Bryan Beach in Freeport, Texas

© Getty Images
Thousands of dead fish washed ashore at Freeport's Bryan Beach.

The dead fish stretched from the mouth of the Brazos River to several hundred yards to the east.

The city's assistant manager made the discovery during a routine check Wednesday afternoon.

"As I made my way down there I could tell there was an abundant smell as well," Arispe recalled.

"The sheer amount when I got there, it was shocking."

People in Freeport are waiting on the state to determine the exact cause of the die-off.

Right now the city and seasoned fishermen suspect red tide, a natural phenomenon that produces a
high level of algae that can lower oxygen levels and add toxins to the water.

Binoculars

Tropical seabird seen on Georgia island after Hurricane Joaquin

© Tim Keyes Georgia Department of Natural Resources This red-footed booby showed up on St. Simons Island after Hurricane Joaquin.
Georgia has a very rare visitor. It's a tropical bird, called a red-footed booby, and it's been hanging out on Saint Simons Island.

"It's the first time this species has been documented in Georgia, which is always kind of exciting for those of us interested in birds," said Tim Keyes, a biologist with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. "It's well out of its range. It's probably a bird that was blown north with Hurricane Joaquin."

Keyes said that birds that get blown off course by storms probably don't have a great chance of survival.

Attention

Dead Grey whale found on East Beach, Santa Barbara

© Juanita Adame, KEYTDead whale
A baby grey whale washed ashore Santa Barbara's East Beach in front of Rainbow Park, around 1 p.m. Wednesday.

Officials from Channel Islands Cetacean Research Unit (CICRU) responded and believe the whale died of natural causes because there were no trauma or bite marks. However, they did say it looked skinny and malnourished.

They believe the whale was approximately one-year-old.

The California Department of Fish and Game were called to remove the animal. They will know more about its cause of death after testing.

Authorities said grey whales are migrating through the Central Coast at this time of year, and it is not uncommon to see them.

Attention

Dead whale found on Hartlepool beach, UK

© Frank ReidThe Whale that was washed up on the beach to the North of the Brus Tunnel.
Visitors to Hartlepool's Steetley beach were left surprised by the sight of an 18ft-long whale lying on the shore.

The dead whale was found by a member of the public washed up on Steetley Beach on Thursday afternoon.

The HM Coastguard was called and they arrived on scene at 1.42pm to assess the situation.

Officials from Hartlepool Borough Council and the Zoological Society also attended the scene.

Stephen Hart deputy station officer for the HM Coastguard said it has been identified as a minke whale. It has been named Wally by locals.

"It was found by a member of the public who reported a deceased whale in the beach north of Steetley pier," he said.

Attention

Black bear attacks man, kills dog near Orange City, Florida

© Daytona Beach News-Journal/Nigel Cook

Alan Bryant holds a picture of his dog named Tigger in the backyard of his Orange City home where the 2 year old Yorkie was killed by a black bear Monday night.
A bear attacked a man and killed his pet dog in a Volusia County neighborhood, officials said.

The attack happened late Monday night on Hollow-Ridge Drive, south of Graves Avenue near Orange City.

Alan Bryant told News 6 that he let his 2-year-old Yorkie, named Tigger, outside when the attack occurred.

"He ran into the backyard, and I heard the dog start to yelp," Bryant said. "So I start yelling, 'Bear! Bear! Get him off my -- I assume it's attacking my dog."

Bryant said he tried to help Tigger, but the estimated 150-pound bear turned on him.