Welcome to Sott.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2022
The World for People who Think

Society's Child
Map

Sheriff

Cops beat a deaf man for seven minutes because he didn't respond to their yelling

Image
Pearl Pearson is a 64 year-old diabetic deaf driver who resides in the Oklahoma City area. On the evening of January 3rd, Pearl crossed paths with the wrong cops.

The following is the story according to Pearl Pearson and family of what happened that night:
What's the story? At this time, only limited details can be provided since this case is under investigation.

1. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol pulled Pearl over late in the evening on January 3, 2014. Pearl pulled over as he should.

2. Pearl's driver's license indicates he is Deaf. He also has a placard in his driver's door that says, "Driver is deaf".

3. Pearl pulled over and rolled down his window, expecting an officer to ask for this identification. An officer struck him in the face before Pearl had the chance to do anything. As you can see, he was struck multiple times.

Arrow Down

UN panel confronts Vatican on child sex abuse by clergy

Image
© AFP.
The Vatican's UN Ambassador, Monsignor Silvano Tomasi (L), and former Vatican Chief Prosecutor of Clerical Sexual Abuse Charles Scicluna are at the hearing.
The Vatican is being confronted publicly for the first time over the sexual abuse of children by clergy, at a UN hearing in Geneva.

The Church was asked why it continued to describe such abuse as an offense against morals rather than a crime against children.

Archbishop Silvano Tomasi said such crimes could "never be justified" and every child should be "inviolable".

The Vatican earlier refused a request for data on abuse.

When it argued that such cases should be heard in the countries where they took place, it was accused of responding inadequately to abuse allegations.

This is the first time the Holy See is defending itself in public over its record on sex abuse.

Victims say they hope the hearing, which is being broadcast live, will prompt the Church to end its "secrecy".

Pope Francis announced last month that a Vatican committee would be set up to fight sexual abuse of children in the Church and offer help to victims. He also broadened the definition of crimes against minors to include sexual abuse of children.

The Holy See is a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, a legally binding instrument which commits it to protecting and nurturing the most vulnerable in society.

Apple Red

Apple Fined $32.5 Million for exploiting children

FTC Chair Edith Ramirez
© Susan Walsh/AP
Federal Trade Commission chair Edith Ramirez speaks at the FTC in Washington.
Apple is set to pay at least $32.5m to consumers to settle a federal complaint about the company's practices that allowed children to make purchases in mobile apps without parents' permission, the government announced on Wednesday.

The Federal Trade Commission said Apple will provide a full refund for in-app purchases made without permission from account holders. The agency said it had received "at least tens of thousands of complaints" about such purchases and one parent said her child spent more than $2,600 in the Tap Pet Hotel app.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said that the company had been working to refund customers affected by these type of purchases since last year in an emailed memo to employees obtained by 9to5Mac. Cook also criticized the FTC's intervention in the case and said that Wednesday's agreement with the FTC "smacked of double jeopardy" because the case had already been settled.

"However, the consent decree the FTC proposed does not require us to do anything we weren't already going to do, so we decided to accept it rather than take on a long and distracting legal fight," Cook said.

As part of the agreement, Apple must change its purchasing process to ensure consumers give full consent when purchasing items in mobile apps. In-app items can range from 99 cents to $99.99 per item.

Snakes in Suits

Brits under investigation for streaming live child abuse videos

Image
© Corbis
A National Crime Agency operation has netted alleged paedophiles who had live videos of child sexual abuse streamed to them from the Philippines.
More than 100 Britons are under investigation for streaming live child abuse from the Philippines, according to the National Crime Agency.

So far 17 Britons have been arrested in Operation Endeavour, which has spanned 12 countries.

British police have joined forces with Australian and US investigators in a two-year operation focusing on what the UK's National Crime Agency calls "a significant and emerging threat", particularly in developing countries.

Three other investigations are taking place into live streaming of child sex abuse, with 139 Britons among the 733 suspects.

Andy Baker from the National Crime Agency said: "This investigation has identified some extremely dangerous child sexual offenders who believed paying for children to be abused to order was something they could get away with.

Eye 1

Shocking Inhumanity: Terminally ill Canadian man, 84, was kept in handcuffs at Heathrow immigration center - lack of intelligent assessment

Image
© Tim Ockenden/PA
Harmondsworth immigration detention centre
Detention centre castigated over death of elderly man

Terminally ill Canadian man, 84, was kept in handcuffs by staff at Harmondsworth removal centre until after his heart stopped


The chief inspector of prisons has accused the privately run immigration detention centre at Heathrow of a shocking loss of humanity after a terminally ill Canadian man was kept in handcuffs as he died in hospital.

Staff ignored a doctor's report declaring the 84-year-old unfit for detention or deportation and in need of social care.

The chief inspector, Nick Hardwick, said that on at least two occasions staff at the Geo-run Harmondsworth immigration removal centre have needlessly handcuffed elderly, vulnerable and incapacitated detainees in what he called "an excessive and shocking manner". He said that the two men were so ill that one died shortly after his handcuffs were removed and the other, the 84-year-old, who has been named as Alois Dvorzac, died while still restrained.

Hardwick said the security procedures at the immigration removal centre, which can hold more than 600 male detainees, lacked proportionality: "Segregation was being used excessively and was not in line with the detention centre rules. Disturbingly, a lack of intelligent individual risk assessment has meant that most detainees were handcuffed on escort."

Eye 1

Devastating dossier on abuse by UK forces in Iraq goes to International Criminal Court

Image

Senior UK military and political psychopaths could end up in the dock as 400 victims denounce 'systemic' use of torture and cruelty
A devastating 250-page dossier, detailing allegations of beatings, electrocution, mock executions and sexual assault, has been presented to the International Criminal Court, and could result in some of Britain's leading defence figures facing prosecution for "systematic" war crimes.

General Sir Peter Wall, the head of the British Army; former defence secretary Geoff Hoon; and former defence minister Adam Ingram are among those named in the report, entitled "The Responsibility of UK Officials for War Crimes Involving Systematic Detainee Abuse in Iraq from 2003-2008".

The damning dossier draws on cases of more than 400 Iraqis, representing "thousands of allegations of mistreatment amounting to war crimes of torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment".

They range from "hooding" prisoners to burning, electric shocks, threats to kill and "cultural and religious humiliation". Other forms of alleged abuse include sexual assault, mock executions, threats of rape, death, and torture.

The formal complaint to the ICC, lodged yesterday, is the cumulation of several years' work by Public Interest Lawyers (PIL) and the European Centre for Constitutional and Human Rights (ECCHR). It calls for an investigation into the alleged war crimes, under Article 15 of the Rome Statute.

Stormtrooper

'Got Land?' Teen told not to wear sweatshirt at school

Controversy resolved after additional meetings with nearby First Nation
Got Land?
© CBC

Comment: Interview with Tenelle Starr here


A Saskatchewan student was told not to wear a sweatshirt in school that has the words "Got Land? Thank an Indian" on it, although officials have since relented.

Tenelle Starr, 13, is in Grade 8 and goes to school in Balcarres, about 90 kilometres northeast of Regina. She is a member of the nearby Star Blanket First Nation.

"It supports our treaty and land rights ... It's important." Starr told CBC News Tuesday, as the issue over the message on her shirt reverberated at her school and online through her Facebook page.

Arrow Down

Woman caught on camera tumbling out of LAPD squad car says she was being sexually assaulted


A woman who was shown on camera tumbling out of a moving LAPD squad car last year said she fell out of the vehicle to avoid being sexually assaulted by her arresting officer.

KCAL9′s Stacey Butler spoke to the woman's attorney, Arnoldo Cassillas.

The alleged victim, Kim Nguyen, a 27-year-old pharmacist, says she was handcuffed in the back of a squad car when an officer began to sexually assault her in the early morning hours of March 17, 2013. Nguyen said the officer's negligence also caused her to tumble out of the vehicle.

Stormtrooper

State Terrorism: Ohio man arrested with bombs and AR-15 was intel analyst with top secret clearance

Image
© Tri-County Regional Jail
A man caught speeding with 48 bombs in his car also had a remote detonating device, guns, and military base schematics and was on an 85 mph b-line toward a U.S. Navy SEALs training facility, Police tell Laura Arenschield of the Columbus Dispatch.

Andrew Scott Boguslawski, 43, was in a 70 mph zone and law enforcement caught up with him on New Years Eve, pulled him over, and eventually arrested him. Now Boguslawski, who works as a trainer at the Indiana training facility for Navy SEALs, is under suspicion for potential terrorist aspirations.

"I think there is a significant risk to the public," Assistant Madison County Prosecutor Nick Adkins told reporters, explaining the million dollar bond. "Until we can sort through the facts of this case and what we have here and what his intent was, it is necessary to keep the public safe."

Nuke

Trial of anti-nuclear activists in Missouri ends with unusual sentence

Image

Defendants Betsy Keenan of Maloy, Iowa (center), and Charity Sr. Cele Breen of Kansas City, Mo. (right), march with other activists to the trial Dec. 13.
Defense attorney Henry Stoever meekly approached the bench of Presiding Judge Ardie Bland Dec. 13, complaining that security had refused to let him bring certain pieces of evidence into the courthouse: a full-sized wooden door with a banner proclaiming, "Open the door to a nuclear weapons free world!", as well as an array of picket signs.

Stoever was representing eight nuclear protesters on this unlucky trial date, and Bland, who had sentenced other nuclear activists to jail just two years prior, was the inauspicious icing on the cake.

Bland's eyebrows rose at Stoever's odd request and the packed courthouse tensed for the inevitable ridicule.

"Well, I permit it!" Bland said.

With that statement, Bland set the tone for the next three hours, as protest songs, jokes about national security and even the elderly reveries of Oblate Fr. Carl Kabat, 80, and Franciscan Fr. Jerome Zawada, 76, were permitted in the Kansas City municipal courtroom.

The eight activists were pleading not guilty to charges of trespassing onto the relocated National Nuclear Security Administration's Kansas City Plant July 13. Since 1949, the plant has produced or acquired "about 85 percent of the components that go into a typical nuclear weapon," according to the Government Accountability Office. It took a year to move the nearly 3 million-square-foot facility 8 miles, and the relocation alone cost $80 million, according to a plant press release.