Welcome to Sott.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2022
The World for People who Think

Puppet Masters
Map

Attention

US: Nationwide Emergency Alert System test scheduled for Nov. 9

Image
© unknown
"This is a test of the emergency broadcast system," is a phrase heard by anyone with a television or radio.

The test are to insure that broadcast signals are working during a severe weather alert, during which listeners are advised to seek shelter and other life-saving information.

On Nov. 9, the federal government will conduct the first nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System. The test will last up to three and a half minutes. During the test, regularly scheduled television, radio, cable and satellite shows will be interrupted.

The public is being cautioned the test will not take place if a severe weather event is already happening, said Mason County Emergency Management Director Jack Fultz.

Comment: Notice the general theme and associated agencies involved here. Fictitious terrorism isn't the focus, it's the weather. FEMA expecting winter super storms by any chance, or is something else happening in Nov. 9?


Binoculars

India to deploy 100,000 soldiers along China border

india chinese border
Against the backdrop of Chinese military build-up along its boundary with India, the Army has proposed an increase in its strength by around one lakh (100,000) and raising a new mountain strike corps along with other new formations in the Northeast.

"We have proposed to increase our strength by another 90,000 to one lakh troops and that has been cleared by the Defence Ministry. The proposal is at present awaiting clearance from the Finance Ministry," army sources said here. Army's present strength is more than 11 lakh troops including over 35,000 officers.

They said the increase in the number of troops will be done in a phased manner over a period of more than five to six years. Asked about the expansion plan, Minister of State for Defence M M Pallam Raju said, "We are keen on securing borders and we will take steps to do so. Wherever we feel there is a threat, adequate measures will be taken."

War Whore

With Libya destroyed, UK government prepares military to assist US war against Iran

Image
© EPA
British PM Cameron explaining his innermost feelings for humanity
British officials consider contingency options to back up a possible US action as fears mount over Tehran's capability

Britain's armed forces are stepping up their contingency planning for potential military action against Iran amid mounting concern about Tehran's nuclear enrichment programme, the Guardian has learned.

The Ministry of Defence believes the US may decide to fast-forward plans for targeted missile strikes at some key Iranian facilities. British officials say that if Washington presses ahead it will seek, and receive, UK military help for any mission, despite some deep reservations within the coalition government.

In anticipation of a potential attack, British military planners are examining where best to deploy Royal Navy ships and submarines equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles over the coming months as part of what would be an air and sea campaign.

They also believe the US would ask permission to launch attacks from Diego Garcia, the British Indian ocean territory, which the Americans have used previously for conflicts in the Middle East.

Padlock

Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout found guilty of selling weapons to Farc rebels

Image
© Apichart Weerawong/APP
Viktor Bout pled not guilty to four conspiracy charges.
Bout caught by US drug agents trying to sell shipment that included 20,000 machine guns and 10m rounds of ammunition

Former Soviet military officer and international arms dealer Viktor Bout, nicknamed the 'Merchant of Death' and whose colourful life partly inspired a Hollywood movie, has been found guilty of trying to sell heavy weapons to Colombian rebels.

The verdict brings a dramatic end to one of New York's most high-profile trials in recent years. It also put a stop to the career of the world's most notorious arms dealer who prosecutors argued has provided weapons that have fuelled bloody conflicts around the world.

Bout, 44, had denied any wrongdoing in the case, which alleged he had been willing to sell a vast amount of lethal weapons and ammunitions to the Colombian rebel group the Farc, which he knew could be used to "kill Americans" who were helping the Colombian government. The shipment was to have included surface-to-air missiles, 20,000 machines guns, grenades, mortars, high explosives and 10m rounds of ammunition. Bout had argued that he was merely a businessman who happened to run an air freight operation in conflict zones.

Eye 2

Cynthia McKinney on War Crimes in Libya: NATO used depleted uranium and DIME-inert bombs on civilian population


Star of David

Rebels ask leader of UK's Libyan Jews to run for office

Image

We just popped out of nowhere, armed to the teeth, right when Western media began reporting about non-existent protests in Libya.
Raphael Luzon tells 'Post' that rebel council chief told him post-Gaddafi gov't should include women and Jews.

The day after the fall of Tripoli to the rebels, the leader of a Libyan-Jewish Diaspora group said he was offered by the emerging ruling power to run for office in free elections in that country.

Raphael Luzon, the head of Jews of Libya UK, told The Jerusalem Post on Monday that opposition leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil recently invited him to return to his country of birth and participate in the political discourse.

"A week ago I received an [invitation] from the chief of the rebels," he said referring to Abdul Jalil, a former justice minister and current chairman of the rebel council in Benghazi.

"They proposed for me to take part in one of the parties because they would like it to be open to all people including women and Jews."

The Benghazi-born Jew, whose family was forced to flee Libya following a pogrom in 1967, said he was waiting for further developments before he gave a definitive answer.

MIB

Report: Libyan rebels seek Israel's support

Rebels' spokesman says group wants Jewish State to help garner international support for new Libyan leadership, Western media outlets claim

Libyan rebels are turning to Israel for support in their new leadership, ahead of the looming end of Muammar Gaddafi's regime, Western media outlets reported on Thursday.

"We are seeking Israel's support and influence around the world in order to bring to an end Gaddafi's despotic rule," Ahmad Shabani, the founder of Libya's Democratic and a spokesperson on behalf of the rebels was quoted as saying.

According to the unconfirmed reports, Shabani, whose family fled Libya after the king was deposed in 1969, said they were seeking the Jewish State's help because "Libya needs all the international support they can get, including Israel's."

Responding to Gaddafi's allegations, according to which al Qaeda was aiding the rebels to smuggle weapons into the Gaza Strip, Shabani said the deposed dictator was himself cooperating with the terrorist group, adding that the opposition group aims to stop the alleged arms smuggling.

Star of David

Israeli PM orders investigation into Iran leak: Main suspects are former heads of Mossad and Shin Bet

Image

Mossad chief Meir Dagan
Kuwaiti paper says Binyamin Netanyahu believes the heads of the Mossad and Shin Bet may have leaked plans for attack

Israel's prime minister has ordered an investigation into alleged leaks of plans to attack Iran's nuclear facilities, it has been reported.

According to the Kuwaiti newspaper al-Jarida, the main suspects are the former heads of the Mossad and the Shin Bet, respectively Israel's foreign and domestic intelligence agencies.

Netanyahu is said to believe that the two, Meir Dagan and Yuval Diskin, wanted to torpedo plans being drawn up by him and Ehud Barak, the defence minister, to hit Iranian nuclear sites. Tzipi Livni, leader of the opposition Kadima party, is also said to have been persuaded to attack Netanyahu for "adventurism" and "gambling with Israel's national interest".

The paper suggested that the purpose of the leaks was to prevent an attack, which had moved from the stage of discussion to implementation. "Those who oppose the plan within the security establishment decided to leak it to the media and thwart the plan," it said.

Gear

Thirty companies paid no income tax 2008-2010

Image
© Carlson
Thirty large and profitable U.S. corporations paid no income taxes in 2008 through 2010, said a study on Thursday that arrives as Congress faces rising demands for tax reform, but seems unable or unwilling to act.

Pepco Holdings, a Washington, D.C.-area power company, had the lowest effective tax rate, at negative 57.6 percent, among the 280 Fortune 500 companies studied.

The statutory U.S. corporate income tax rate is 35 percent, one of the highest in the world, but over the 2008-2010 period, very few of the companies studied paid it, said the report.

The average effective tax rate for the companies over the period was 18.5 percent, said Citizens for Tax Justice and the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy, both think tanks.

Their report also listed General Electric Co, Paccar Inc, PG&E Corp, Computer Sciences Corp and NiSource Inc as among the 30 that paid no taxes. All 280 corporations examined were profitable over the period.

Dollar

Banking elite and their puppet EU's threats to crash the Euro work: Greek PM scraps referendum on Greek debt plan

Image
© The Telegraph
If looks could kill! Greek Prime Minister Papandreou receives his marching orders from Merkel and Sarkozy as the EU's unelected "President" and his underling lurk in the background
Athens, Greece - The Greek prime minister has rejected pressure to resign, warning that early elections would lead to an exit from the euro, and says instead he is seeking talks with the opposition conservatives.

Two officials close to Prime Minister George Papandreou also say he has scrapped his plan to hold a referendum on the latest European debt deal for Greece after the main opposition leader said would back it.

They said Papandreou made the comments during an emergency Cabinet meeting Thursday. One also said the premier would not resign despite mounting pressure, and would await the outcome of Friday's confidence vote in his government.

They spoke on condition of anonymity to disclose talks in the Cabinet meeting, being held in Parliament.

Update: Ignoring increasing calls to step down, Greece's prime minister says he is seeking emergency talks with the opposition and warns that an early election would force Greece into leaving the euro currency.

Prime Minister George Papandreou made the comments in an emergency Cabinet meeting Thursday. His office released his speech to the ministers.

Papandreou sparked a crisis when he announced Monday he would put a European debt deal to a referendum in Greece. Two officials close to him say the referendum idea has now been scrapped, after the opposition indicated they backed the new bailout deal to cut Greece's debts.