© The Associated Press/Julie JacobsonCeline Dion answers questions during a press conference after her opening night performance at Caesar's Palace, Tuesday, March 15, 2011, in Las Vegas.
A 36-year-old man has been charged after he allegedly broke into Celine Dion's home near Montreal, raided the fridge and even took the time to pour himself a bath.

He was nabbed by Laval police on Monday afternoon after the alarm system went off.

The international superstar and her husband, Rene Angelil, were not at home at the time. Dion and Angelil usually live in Florida but use the Laval residence when they come home to Quebec.

Laval police spokesman Franco Di Genova says the suspect was getting ready to take a nice hot bath when police arrived with the K-9 unit.

"He opened the water faucets, was pouring a nice warmish bath (and) he even managed to eat some pastry that was in the fridge," Di Genova said.

It was first reported that the man helped himself to some cakes.

Di Genova says Laval police worked their way through the house, starting with the basement and finally confronted the man on the main floor.

"The suspect was coming down the big staircase and was asking: Hey, guys what are you doing here?'," Di Genova said.

"So the officers replied: 'What are you doing here?' and they proceeded to put him under arrest."

Di Genova says the man had initially jumped a fence and tried to get into the home by opening a door, but that didn't work.

"Then he saw one of Rene's vehicles that was there and unfortunately the doors were not locked, the keys were in the ignition and there was also a garage door opener," he said.

Di Genova says the intruder then used the garage door opener to gain access to the luxury residence.

Daniel Bedard, a Laval resident, was arraigned Tuesday on charges including break and enter, auto theft and causing property damage. He will return Nov. 21.

Police say they found various stickers around the house. They had times and the names of people on them but the notes were not threatening.

Di Genova says there was a similar break-in at the mansion in 2009.

In that incident, a man also jumped the fence and was able to make his way to the front door.

But the suspect was stopped by the security firm that was keeping an eye on the property.

He was not the same person who was arrested by police on Monday.