Utoya massacre
Dramatic photos that may show the Norway gunman during his killing spree have emerged.

The blurry images - taken from a helicopter - appear to show a tall blond figure in a dark uniform holding what may be a rifle.

At his feet are what look like bodies floating on the water.

The man is believed to be Anders Behring Breivik, a crazed hunting fan arrested over gun and bomb attacks that killed at least 92 innocent people yesterday.

Dressed as a policeman, the gunman massacred 85 youths camping on an island - two hours after a huge car bomb wrecked government buildings in capital Oslo, killing seven.

Terrified survivors last night told how a blue-eyed gunman beckoned them towards him - then coldly opened fire.

Adrian Pracon, who was shot in the left shoulder, said the scene on the island was like a "Nazi movie".

Speaking from his hospital bed, he said: "He was shooting people at close range and starting to shoot at us. He stood first 10 metres from me and shooting at people in the water.

"He had an M16, it did look like a machine gun.

© The Sun
Escape bid ... terrified kids swim
"When I saw him from the side yelling that he was about to kill us, he looked like he was taken from a Nazi movie or something.

"He started shooting at these people, so I laid down and acted as if I was dead.

"He stood maybe two metres away from me. I could hear him breathing. I could feel the heat of the machine gun.

"He tried everyone, he kicked them to see if they were alive, or he just shot them."

Another young survivor, Jorgen Benone, said: "People were hiding behind stones. I saw people being shot...I felt it was best to stay quiet, not to run into the open.

"I saw (the gunman) once just 20 to 30 metres away from me."

Like other youngsters, Benone swam to safety and was rescued by a boat.

This morning, police official Roger Andresen revealed the total death toll had escalated to at least 91. Since then the number has risen to 92.

He said Breivik was co-operating with investigators, adding: "He is clear on the point that he wants to explain himself."

National police chief Sveinung Sponheim said the gunman's internet postings "suggest that he has some political traits directed toward the right, and anti-Muslim views, but whether that was a motivation for the actual act remains to be seen".

Andersen said the suspect posted on websites with Christian fundamentalist tendencies.

A police official said the suspect appears to have acted alone in both attacks, and that "it seems like this is not linked to any international terrorist organizations at all".

Reports emerged from some witnesses that there was a second gunman on Utoya Island, but these remain unconfirmed.

© The Sun
A second alleged gunman is handcuffed by Norwegian police
The official added: "It seems it's not Islamic-terror related. This seems like a madman's work."

The indiscriminate shooting massacre happened at a youth camp organised by Norway's ruling Labour Party on Utoya Island, attended by around 700 youngsters.

Norway's Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg - out of the capital at the time of the blast - said today he knew many of the victims personally.

He had been due to speak at the camp today.

Mr Stoltenberg said today: "I know the young people and I know their parents.

"And what hurts more is that this place where I have been every summer since 1979, and where I have experienced joy, commitment and security, has been hit by brutal violence - a youth paradise has been transformed into a hell.

"What happened at Utoeya is a national tragedy. Not since World War Two has our country seen a greater crime."

Norwegian police arrested a second man this morning at a hotel in Sundvolden, where the survivors from the Utoya Island massacre had gathered and where Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg was due to visit.

It also emerged Breivik bought SIX TONS of fertiliser in May from a farm supply firm.

Some kinds of agricultural fertiliser have been used in the past to make explosives.

85 were confirmed dead after the assassin attacked the youth camp on the tiny Norwegian island of Utoya.

A massive car bomb had earlier left seven dead and ten wounded in capital Oslo around 20 miles away.

Last night police believed the two attacks were linked, with Breivik seen at the scene of the bombing.

What appears to be the 32-year-old's Facebook page describes him as "single" and a "Christian" - and lists serial killer drama Dexter as one of his favourite TV shows.

He also names vampire show True Blood among TV programmes he likes.

Bizarrely he lists cartoon He-Man among his choice watches as well as violent films Gladiator and 300.

Under political views, he lists himself as "Conservative" - but Norwegian TV reported he has links to right-wing extremism.

A pal said he ranted on anti-Islam websites and was "strongly opposed to multiculturalism".

Among his interests are hunting, body building and freemasonry. He was also pictured in a ceremonial outfit on Facebook.

Breivik is said to have had a machine gun and a Glock pistol registered in his name.

And as boss of farming firm Breivik Geofarm, he would have had access to fertiliser for a bomb.

On a Twitter page set up under his name, there is just one message posted on July 17.

It says: "One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100,000 who have only interests."

This morning, Buckingham Palace revealed the Queen had written to the King of Norway to express her shock and sadness at the attacks in his country.

She said her thoughts, and those of the Duke of Edinburgh, were with the Norwegian people.

Her message to King Harald read: "I am deeply saddened and shocked by the tragic loss of life of so many people on the island of Utoya and in Oslo.

© The Sun
The tent-packed island of Utoya on the 22nd July
"Prince Philip joins me in extending our heartfelt sympathy to Your Majesty and the people of Norway.

"Our prayers and thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the dreadful atrocity."

Breivik - described as over 6ft and blond with blue eyes - had arrived on the island by boat, dressed as a police officer.

Some youngsters fled towards the sea hoping to swim to safety.

But the fanatic gunned down some of them on the beach - and shot others as they swam.

A 22-year-old witness, who would only give her name as Helene, said: "I saw several youths in the water. The man shot after them while they swam."

Some youths barricaded themselves inside wooden shacks.

Others posted harrowing messages on Twitter.

One wrote: "We are sitting down by the beach. A man is shooting clothed in a police uniform. Help us! When are the police coming to help us!"

Kristine Melby, who lives opposite Utoya Island, saw children swimming in the water trying to get away. She said: "Some of the wounds were really, really big.

"Others of them had been running for their lives, they had their bones broken. Some of them were full of blood and dirt."

As Norway reeled from the horror - on a national holiday - there were fears last night that more terror is on the way.

The car bomb exploded in the heart of Oslo's government quarter and close to the PM's office.

The device exploded at around 2.30pm UK time - 3.30pm in Norway. Norway's finance ministry and the country's biggest tabloid newspaper were also hit.

Detectives believe fertiliser-based explosives had been packed into the vehicle - which lay mangled and blackened on its side amid the debris.

Reporter Harald Klungtveit, in his office near the blast, said: "The block where the PM is situated is smashed."

Colleague Anne Marte Blindheim said: "It looks like a war zone."

Rescuers were last night trying to free dozens of survivors trapped in the debris amid growing fears the death toll would grow. Norway's borders were shut "within minutes" of the blast.

But two hours later terror came to Utoya. Around 560 youngsters, aged from 14 to 25, had gathered there for the political rally.

Former prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland had been the key speaker yesterday and Stoltenberg was due there today. When the killer got on the island, he claimed to be carrying out a routine check due to the Oslo bombing.

Police last night revealed they had found explosives on the island, and confirmed they were quizzing a 32-year-old man arrested there.

One police official said: "It seems like that this is not linked to any international terrorist organisations at all. This looks like a madman's work."

Officers were searching Breivik's flat in the posh West End of Oslo for clues.

Another had received a text from a survivor which read: "I'm safe. We've hidden in a tree. One of us is shot twice in the foot."

In a statement on its website, the Foreign Office said: "We recommend that British nationals stay indoors for the time being.

"British nationals are advised to exercise caution, monitor local media reporting and follow advice given by the emergency services."

About 250,000 British tourists visit the country every year.