Melbourne - Several hundred Australians fled their homes on Monday as wildfires that killed more than 200 people flared again, destroying at least one home and injuring two firefighters.

The deadly combination of strong winds and searing temperatures that whipped up the most deadly fires in Australia's history returned to drive flames toward towns to the east and northwest of Victoria's state capital, Melbourne.

However, conditions eased late Monday, lowering the immediate danger, although authorities said the threat remained with four major fires continuing to burn out of control.

The scare occurred as Britain's Princess Anne visited blackened townships north of Melbourne that bore the brunt of firestorms that flared on February 7, claiming at least 210 lives.

The official toll increased by one Monday after a resident of Strathewen, where 43 have now perished, died in hospital.

The Country Fire Authority (CFA) issued urgent threat warnings to more than a dozen communities, advising residents either to flee or to defend their homes.

Flames engulfed at least one home at Belgrave, just 45 kilometres (28 miles) from the heart of Australia's second largest city, a CFA spokeswoman told AFP, leaving two firefighters with minor burns and destroying a fire engine.

She said another blaze near the popular tourist town of Daylesford, north of the city, also threatened homes.

Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) said winds of 50 kilometres (31 miles) an hour made the flames unpredictable.

Authorities set up an evacuation centre near the fire at Lilydale, which was housing hundreds of residents, with many more believed to have left their homes to stay with relatives.

DSE spokesman Kevin Monk said the threat eased late Monday but fire crews would be working through the night extinguishing spot blazes and building containment lines.

Residents were quick to leave their homes after officials said most of those who died on February 7 were trapped in their houses or perished in a late rush to flee.

Warburton resident Gaynor Brown said she fled after waking up to see heavy smoke in the distance.

"I just want my kids to be safe," she said.

Shopkeeper Lindsay Jahn said up to 70 percent of the 2,500 residents in the town of Warburton had fled.

"I hope the tragic fires of two weeks ago have made people more decisive," Jahn told the Herald Sun online.

More than 3,500 firefighters were working to control fires still raging in the southeastern state, with conditions forecast to deteriorate again late in the week.

Princess Anne, who travelled to Australia to represent Queen Elizabeth II at Sunday's national day of mourning, met volunteer firefighters at Wandong and bushfire survivors at an evacuation centre.

Firefighter Frank Amoroso said the visit boosted the morale of the weary workers.

"It's a great honour for the people here to see someone from overseas here, especially from the Queen, to represent the Queen on her behalf," he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"So I think everyone's really overwhelmed by this."

The princess, who made no public comment during her tour of the disaster area, on Sunday praised the "resilience, ingenuity, courage and selflessness" of the towns and individuals hit by the fires.

"People from around Australia and across the world watched in horror, but with admiration at their response," she said.