Authorities have blamed a "mini tornado" for ripping roofs from buildings and causing damage across a south-west Queensland town.

The town of Mitchell, near Roma, was hit by a storm about 11pm (AEST) on Thursday, a State Emergency Service (SES) spokesman said.

Two homes and an industrial shed were unroofed and six more homes partially lost their roofs.

A further 13 buildings were damaged.

Local SES controller Alan Lemon said the short but powerful storm was like a "mini tornado" ripping through the town.

"It was a devastating storm for the people who lost their roofs because everything they owned then got soaked," Mr Lemon said.

He said the local golf course was among the casualties, buried under fallen trees and branches.

An SES spokesman said minor damage was also recorded at Calliope and Moura, in central Queensland.

Meanwhile, the clean-up is continuing at Jandowae, west of Brisbane, where 22 homes were damaged in a storm on Thursday.

Fifteen homes partially lost their roofs, while three homes completely lost their roofs in the storm.

Golf ball sized hail was reported to have fallen 60km north of Alpha, in the state's central west, at 3.30pm (AEST) on Thursday.

Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Geoff Doueal said more wild storms could hit Queensland later on Friday.

"There is a vigorous south-westerly wind change moving through the interior of Queensland towards the east coast," Mr Doueal told AAP.

"Ahead of that change, we are expecting thunderstorms to develop over most east coast districts south of probably Cardwell (in north Queensland), which could be quite severe."

Mr Doueal said Queenslanders could expect a reprieve from the storms by Friday, with dry weather and slightly cooler temperatures set to return for the next week.

An Energex spokesman said 160,000 homes and businesses in south-east Queensland had lost power at some stage since the start of the storms on Sunday evening.

"The hardest-hit areas were Caboolture, Redcliffe, Pine River Shire and the southern area of the Sunshine Coast," the spokesman told AAP.

He said that on average the customers were without power for two hours.

"Customers have been extremely patient and obviously safety is our first priority while we do the repairs," the spokesman said.