© Associated Press/Salvatore Laporta
Carabinieri police officers, right, review the damage of a collapsed wall in the 2000-year-old archeological site of Pompeii, near Naples, Italy, Wednesday, Dec. 1, 2010.
Two more walls have given way inside Pompeii's 2,000-year-old archaeological site, officials said Wednesday, reporting the second collapse in as many days. Officials sought to play down the latest collapses, saying they only concerned the upper parts of two walls of no artistic value. But the repeated damage at one of the world's most popular archaeological sites is proving an embarrassment for Italy, and giving credence to accusations that the area is in a state of decay. The two walls collapsed early Wednesday morning, likely as a result of heavy rains over the past several days, the office of Pompeii's archaeological superintendent said.
Top Italian culture officials are calling for swift action to save Pompeii, the ancient Roman city encased in volcanic ash, from further ruin after heavy rains reportedly caused part of a wall to collapse.
Giancarlo Galan, the head of a parliamentary culture commission, on Sunday lamented the latest collapse at the archaeological site near Naples.
Italian media reported that Saturday's rainstorm provoked the partial collapse of a wall around a necropolis and caused some stones to fall at The Temple of Venus.
Despite the damage, Pompeii remained open to tourists Sunday. But its offices were closed and further details were not immediately available.
Last year, the Italian government appointed a special official to ensure that European Union and Italian funds were properly spent to repair and protect Pompeii.
Via Associated Press