Comment: Putin's speech at the Valdai conference in Sochi last week is getting a lot of coverage, both in the alternative news sphere, and the Russophobic den of lies that is the corporate western mainstream presstitute media. And for good reason. You can read the full speech here, along with Paul Craig Roberts' commentary. See also:
- Key quotes from Putin's Valdai speech in Sochi - His strongest yet against the Western Empire
- Valdai 2014: Putin just made the most important speech of his career
- Putin: World is being destroyed by U.S. and its satellites, who pass themselves off as 'the international community'
- Former Austrian Chancellor Schüssel: 'World moving away from hegemony model' (ie, America)
- Telling it like it is: USA has 'shaped the world' according to its interests - Putin
In this speech, Putin abruptly changed the rules of the game. Previously, the game of international politics was played as follows: politicians made public pronouncements, for the sake of maintaining a pleasant fiction of national sovereignty, but they were strictly for show and had nothing to do with the substance of international politics; in the meantime, they engaged in secret back-room negotiations, in which the actual deals were hammered out. Previously, Putin tried to play this game, expecting only that Russia be treated as an equal. But these hopes have been dashed, and at this conference he declared the game to be over, explicitly violating Western taboo by speaking directly to the people over the heads of elite clans and political leaders.