Topic
Strange Sounds
Map

Comet 2

Mysterious booms worry residents in Osceola and Polk counties, Florida

It's the bump in the night that has Osceola County residents asking each other "Did you hear that?"

We've gotten email after email, not to mention Facebook posts, from people who say they're hearing a boom around the same time every night. Not even the Osceola County Sheriff's Office has an answer.

"It was like a 'BOOM!' Then, the windows kinda shook," said Kissimmee resident Daryl Mercado.

"A loud BOOM sound...like they throwed a bomb," explained young AJ.

His mother, Lori Chezem, said, "Loud booms. It reminds me of when the space shuttle used to come in -- the Sonic Boom."

Kids and adults alike are talking about it. But what exactly is it?

Chezem is in St. Cloud and was one of the people who emailed us about these mysterious booms. We're also hearing from people in Kissimmee and even as far away as Haines City in Polk County.
Music

'Independence Day alien invasion hits Coventry' - residents baffled by mystery loud droning noise during storms

Independence Day
© 20th Century Fox
Alien invasion in Coventry? Loud droning has been heard during the storms
A mystery loud droning noise 'like Independence Day' has been reported in the skies above Coventry.

The sounds - compared to something out of the hit blockbuster film about alien invasion - have been audible during recent stormy weather.

Reports have described a loud noise in the sky which lasted around one minute and was heard by residents in Whitley, Walsgrave, Stoke and Wyken. Mitch Wise, 19, from Walsgrave, said the noise was so loud he could hear it inside his house despite all the windows and doors being closed.

He said: "I did think it sounded like something out of Independence Day, that kind of noise.

"I was just in my bedroom when I heard this loud noise outside my house. I looked outside my window, but I couldn't see anything.

"I saw two guys looking up to the sky outside. It was scary!

"I thought it was thunder at first but it was too long to be that or a jet.

"It was like a loud droning noise that lasted about a minute. I was just confused, I couldn't work out what it was.

"It was a lot louder than a lorry going past. It was loud with all the windows closed, but when I opened them it was really loud."

Another reader told the Coventry Telegraph the noise sounded like a hurricane.
Music

Mysterious humming sound in UK leaves residents baffled - Council issues noise diaries

Mystery Sound
© This is Local London
Hum: Is it coming from Surbiton Station?
A mysterious background hum has led Kingston Council to issue noise diaries to Surbiton residents.

The noise has been an irritation for weeks, but the source of the noise itself remains unknown.

One Surbiton forum user said: "I can only describe it [as] white noise and quite low frequency."

Another added: "The noise is very low frequency and is a humming, whirling motor sound. You can hear the sound in every room of our flat."

Glenbuck Road and Avenue Elmers residents reported hearing the hum throughout the day and night.

Forum users speculated it may be emanating from within Surbiton station, or behind McDonald's.
Galaxy

SOTT Summary, January 2014: High Strangeness, Fire in the Sky, Earth Changes

Jesus light

Signs of the Times in January 2014

The first in a new monthly series, the following video compiles footage of 'signs of the times' from around the world during the past month. From 'strange lights' in the skies to extreme weather events, from geological upheaval in the form of volcanic eruptions, sinkholes, landslides and earthquakes to loud booms rattling communities and meteor fireballs turning night into day, the Big Blue Marble is rocking and rolling!

High Strangeness

Some of the highlights in January 2014 include bizarre apparitions of 'UFOs'. Many explain away strange lights in the sky as 'Chinese lanterns' or 'optical illusions' from refractions of man-made or natural light sources in the atmosphere. Some of these apparitions may well be down to such things, but are all of them? Certainly, people making hoax videos with free CGI software have far too much time on their hands, but not everyone is able or willing to do that.

Fire in the Sky

Then there's that other subset of 'strange lights in the sky': meteor fireballs. Distinct in appearance from the largely stationary 'UFO lights', fireballs generally leave a brief 'flash' and trail in the night sky, illuminating the ground for miles around. But as you'll see, several in January appeared to move very slowly, and some were filmed during the daytime. Depending on the size, trajectory and other variables of an incoming space rock, its fragmentation in the upper atmosphere may also produce an audible boom, or series of booms. Something else to keep in mind, however, is that many of these 'mystery booms' being reported across the U.S. and elsewhere may be related to increased seismic activity...

Earth Changes

...which brings us to 'Earth Changes'. More 'long-dormant' volcanoes woke up along the Pacific Ring of Fire last month, another strong earthquake hit New Zealand, wildfires raged in record-breaking heat across Australia and a sinkhole swallowed a whole neighbourhood in Brazil. In the northern hemisphere, it was so cold in Norway that seawater froze, trapping shoals of fish inside the frozen ice... and yet it was apparently also so 'hot' that wildfires broke out near the Arctic Circle. While a succession of hurricane-force storms drenched the UK and Western Europe with giant waves and record flooding, cold temperature and snowfall records over 100 years old were broken across the U.S. as a 'polar vortex' gripped the entire Eastern half of the nation in ice age conditions.

Environmental upheaval, signs in the heavens, wars and rumors of wars, social revolution... it's nothing the planet hasn't seen before, but it's also something new to modern civilization. As the ancient Chinese put it, we certainly appear to be living in 'interesting times'...

Knowledge protects, ignorance endangers
Galaxy

Heaven and Earth: Unusual natural events and strange phenomena from around the world in January 2014

© AP
This video compiles footages of strange phenomena of all kinds, including awesome natural events or beautiful phenomena from around the world in the last few weeks.

In just the last couple of weeks, we've seen:

Volcanic eruptions in Sicily and Indonesia and elsewhere - 'Sky trumpet sounds' in Iceland, and loud booms shaking homes all over the US - Large earthquake in New Zealand, and an ongoing heatwave in Australia - Giant boulders falling off a mountain Italy and record flooding across Europe - More 'spinning ice-river' circles, this time in Norway - Strange cloud cover producing pretty sunsets and unusual light refraction, including a spectacular sun halo over Moscow - More mass animal deaths - More meteor fireballs falling from the sky, and 'hole-punch clouds'! - More UFO sightings - Massive electrical storms, including a super-electrical storm in Rio de Janeiro that produced an interesting omen: a thunderbolt struck the giant statue of Jesus above the city!... There were also major electrical storms in Europe... and this in the middle of winter! - Tornado outbreaks in the UK, which are unusual even in the summer - Thousands of wildfires breaking out in some of the coldest places on the planet - UK's wettest January in 250 years as the island continues to be pummeled with storm after storm...

I covered events from earlier in January and late December 2013 here.

Check out the rest of this series here.
Meteor

Meteor fireballs, 'loud booms' and 'strange sky sounds' reported over Oklahoma

© SOTT.net
On January 24th, 2014, a meteor fireball was seen by many above Oklahoma and Texas, with reports also coming in from Arkansas.

The following day, on January 25th, in Tulsa, Oklahoma thousands reported feeling and hearing a very loud boom. It was loud enough to be heard indoors and it shook windows and rattled doors.

Comment: See also: Fire in the Sky - SOTT Summary 2013

Music

Unexplained "booms" leaving Kentucky neighborhoods shaken

Livingston County - For the past two days in a row, people in the Local 6 area have reported hearing loud, jolting booms.

It's one of our most popular stories on facebook. The story we first posted Saturday night has more than 500 comments from people who say they have all heard and felt the same thing in counties across western Kentucky and southern Illinois. Public safety officials are trying to figure out what's causing the noise while people brace themselves for the next big boom.

Leon Cunningham has been living in Livingston County for more than 25 years and says he's familiar with the sights and sounds in his neighborhood. But, over the weekend, he heard something different. He said, "It was just... boom! I mean, you could hear it. It was loud." It was also jarring. "It just shook this whole neighborhood and shook all these houses. In here, stuff rattled on the shelves."
Meteor

Learn to recognize the signs of an overhead explosion: Loud rumble and roar in Moore, Oklahoma, USA

Residents in Moore and southwest Oklahoma City took to Facebook after hearing a loud rumble and roar early Monday morning.

Some thought it was an earthquake while others had their own theories, like UFOs and aliens.

The sound Chris Martinez hears often in his Moore neighborhood is an unforgettable ringing.

Martinez said, "It's a loud sound then it completely stops."

Austin Holland, with the Oklahoma Geological Survey, said,"We looked at our seismic records and there's nothing that would indicate that this was associated with ground motion."

After ruling out an earthquake, seismologists said the sound could have traveled from somewhere else.

Experts said if it's a quick shaking, it's an earthquake.

If it's a large rumbling, it could be a big plane.

However, residents in the area have their own theory.

Comment: We have a feeling that the rumbling and roaring sound Moore residents heard on early Monday morning is different from the ringing sound the author of the article chose to concentrate on and ridicule. It's important to learn to recognize the real nature of the sounds, and not to fall for ludicrous explanations, such as this one: 'Frost-quakes' or overhead meteor explosions? Massive boom shakes houses in Toronto

Moon

Strange sound recorded at the One World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan: wind?

When it gets windy in Lower Manhattan, residents report hearing a strange, high-pitched, ghostly sound from the top of One World Trade Center.

Kenny Cummings, who lives a few blocks away from One WTC, told Tribeca Citizen in an email that he first noticed the eerie whistling during Hurricane Sandy, and most recently heard the noise early on November 27:
Have you ever heard from neighbors about the wailing World Trade Center? I live a couple of blocks from the tower, and first heard this very eerie sound during Hurricane Sandy last year. I've heard it only once afterwards, sometime last winter. I assumed once the building's framework and windows went in, the airflow would be redirected.

At 3:15 a.m. Wednesday morning, I awoke to the sound. It was slightly different in timbre, with two tones this time. I couldn't be sure what it was at first, but after a moment I realized it was the Trade Center. Outside it was raining but the trees were calm. I can only imagine at that height the weather is different. I'm sure all of downtown hears this - it's unmistakable and very chilling. I had to get up and record it. [You can hear it especially well around :20.] It seemed to calm down about 5 a.m.
Question

What are they? Rumblings, 'booms' heard anew in parts of Washington

Strange Booms
© Google Maps
The rumbling of stomachs eager to take in a Thanksgiving meal last week didn't seem to be the only such noises heard across the central part of the North Olympic Peninsula.

Residents between Port Angeles and Sequim reported hearing low, sustained rumblings and in some instances loud booms from Tuesday to Thursday last week.

At least 15 people posted comments to the Peninsula Daily News' Facebook page describing the sounds, which some say have been heard up and down the Strait of Juan de Fuca for months, if not longer.

"Yeah, it's kind of strange,"said John Robinson, who lives off Finn Hall Road along the Strait between Port Angeles and Sequim.

"Everybody around here hears it. It rattles windows."

Robinson said Friday neither he nor his family members ever see any ships in the Strait nor planes overhead accompanying the rumbling sounds, which he described as being heard "just about every day" last week.

"If you've never heard it before, it almost sounds like a big ship maybe reversing propeller," Robinson said.

Others living in the Graysmarsh area of Sequim and up on Black Diamond Road also reported the rumblings Tuesday and Wednesday night.

"It's just another peculiarity of the North Olympic Peninsula," one person wrote on the PDN's Facebook page.

A Diamond Point resident said that people in that area hear "this all the time."

Mike Welding, public affairs officer at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, said Navy jets were practicing all last week, except on Thanksgiving, and for most of November at the station's Ault Field, just north of Oak Harbor and about 60 miles east of Port Angeles.