Topic
Sinkholes
Map

Arrow Down

Family of 5 escapes car swallowed by sinkhole in Bladensburg, Maryland

A sinkhole on a Maryland road Tuesday morning almost completely absorbed a family's car
A sinkhole gobbled up one family's car in Maryland on Tuesday morning.

Darwin Mendoza says he was in the car with his 8-year-old son, and two daughters, a 4-year-old and a 6-month-old baby, when it hit the hole as he was backing out of his driveway. The hole was hidden by water.

Mendoza says at first, only one tire sank, and that he and his children got out of the car. They then watched as the sinkhole got bigger and swallowed the car whole.

'They were running to leave. Thank God they didn't put their seat belts on. It helped them get out of the car,' neighbor Luz Martinez told NBC Washington.

Arrow Down

Miracle escape for couple as watery sinkhole swallows their car in Tampa, Florida

The car was removed from the water around 4am on Monday
A car plunged into a massive, watery sinkhole late Sunday evening - forcing the couple inside the vehicle to flee as it continued to be engulfed.

Ashley Guzman was with her boyfriend Christopher Atkinson when the incident took place at the intersection of North 20th Street and East Yukon Street in Tampa, Florida, she told WTVT.

'Right when I got out the car it just - like the floor just started cracking towards me,' she told the affiliate station. 'That's when I started panicking more and I started yelling at him so he could get out.'

Arrow Down

Horse rescued from sinkhole in Arroyo Grande, California

Rescued: This horse was eventually able to get out of a sinkhole on Tuesday
Fire officials worked together to help a horse get out of a sinkhole it fell into near Arroyo Grande, California on Tuesday.

Cal Fire San Luis Obispo's Twitter account posted multiple updates on the horse's rescue Tuesday.

The fire department first tweeted at 11:34am on a report of a 'horse stuck in hole' on Sunray Place.

The department quickly updated at 11:53am, writing 'Horse is trapped in a sink hole. The incident is off of Noyes Rd. USAR [Urban Search and Rescue] team is responding. Veterinarian has been contacted.'
Arrow Down

Sinkhole in Cleveland swallows plow truck

A plow truck was on its route in Cleveland when it hit a steel plate on the road, displacing the plate and sending the truck falling into the sinkhole.

The steel plate was from the Cleveland Water Department and was not marked properly. The sinkhole was in place so the property owner's plumber could make repairs to the home.

After the truck fell, it was removed from the hole shortly after. The plate has since been replaced.

The driver was taken to the hospital as a precaution and there were no other injuries.

Comment: Heat map for sinkholes for the past year -

Arrow Down

Sinkhole opens up on Scottish golf course

The sinkhole at Traigh Golf Club
That 16-foot putt for birdie just got a whole lot easier. Scotland's Traigh Golf Club woke up one morning to find a large sinkhole had developed on the course.

The 14-foot hole was created by erosion from a broken drainpipe underground. Fortunately, no one was hurt. But the golf course's troubles are far from over: The hole will cost about 20,000 British pounds, or more than $13,000 USD.

That's a huge cost that the golf course, which has been used for more than 100 years, cannot afford. And since insurance isn't likely to cover the cost of the hole, it could spell the end of the beautiful course.

"Without repairing this pipe about half of the golf course will revert to bog and this would effectively be the end of our golf course," said Traigh Golf Club spokesman Alec Stewart to GolfClubManagement.net.

Even if the sinkhole is repaired, the erosion could be a harbinger for similar problems elsewhere on the course. The club is urgently seeking out any sources of funding to stay afloat.
Arrow Down

Massive sinkhole swallows car just moments after driver makes dramatic last-gasp exit, China

© CEN
Hole: Sheng's car tipped inside this massive crater
Lucky motorist Sheng Hsu was driving in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou when his car was pulled into the hole

These incredible pictures show the moment a massive sinkhole swallowed a car just moments after the driver was able to escape in the nick of time.

Sheng Hsu, 43, was on his way to work when the huge chasm appeared in the road.

Luckily, he was able to make a dramatic, last-gasp exit from the vehicle.

He said: "I had just slowed down because there was a bit of a queue and leaned in to switch the radio on.
Arrow Down

30-foot sinkhole opens up in Lafayette, Colorado

A massive sinkhole suddenly opened up on a street in Lafayette on Monday morning, collapsing into an old mine shaft and nearly swallowing an SUV.

The 30-foot by 15-foot hole on East Cleveland Street near Foote Avenue is between 15 and 20 feet deep and partially filled with water.

A man who lives in the area had an extremely close call when his car almost fell in early this morning.

"In the moment, my truck was almost on top of me," said Lafayette resident Aurelio Zambrano.

Zambrano's white Jeep was trapped on the edge of the massive sinkhole.

Arrow Down

Huge sinkhole swallows lorry in Nanning, China

© CEN
The lorry will have taken some shifting after plunging into a sinkhole in China
Driver Li Hung had to quickly open his door and scramble to safety as the lorry was dragged back into the cavernous expanse

This is the incredible moment a yawning hole opened up and swallowed a truck.

Chinese driver Li Hung lived up to his name when he found himself hanging over the edge of a huge sinkhole that had opened up behind his lorry.

Li, 35, had been driving back to work in Nanning City, China, when he started to feel his vehicle slipping backwards.

He said: "It almost felt as if I hadn't put the brake on and I had started to roll downhill, but I had my foot on the brake and I realise that I was tipping back not because I was moving, but because of the sinking."

He told local TV he opened the door and jumped out just as the lorry disappeared into the huge hole.
Bizarro Earth

Elderly UK couple fears they may lose their home to giant sinkhole

sinkhole cottingham
© newsteam
David Mason, 77, surveys the hole that has appeared in front of his home in Cottingham, Northamptonshire
An elderly couple fear their £210,000 bungalow could be swallowed up after a giant sink hole appeared in their front garden.

Great-grandparents David Mason, 77, and his wife Sylvia, 75, first spotted a small hole by the kerb outside their home on December 30 but thought it was caused by a lorry.

But the hole expanded at a 'staggering' speed and now measures 16ft by 12ft and is only a few feet away from their front door.

The 3ft-deep crater was first caused by a burst water main but heavy rain meant it grew even further.

Comment: Sinkholes have been appearing with alarming regularity around the world. Many are being explained as being due to heavy rainfall after storms, or subsidence caused by some nearby disturbance, whether natural or man-made. However, combined with the numerous earth changes occurring worldwide, sinkholes provide more evidence that earth's surface appears to be breaking up. For more information on what is really causing these changes, read Pierre Lescaudron's book Earth Changes and the Human-Cosmic Connection.

Arrow Down

Massive sinkhole swallows street in Sioux City, Iowa

© Tim Hynds, Sioux City Journal
An overnight watermain break has left about 15 homes without water service Monday in the Morningside area of Sioux City.

The break is in the 2800 block of Macomb Avenue. Overnight temperatures dipped below zero in advance of an approaching snowstorm, but City Utilities Department worker Randy Solomon said a cause hasn't been determined.

Comment: SOTT has been following the sinkhole phenomenon since the early 2000s. It was once a rare occurrence and is now a part of our 'normal' daily lives.

This 'sinkhole' phenomenon cannot be explained satisfactorily by old water mains breaking, the dissolution of underground rock or depleted aquifers. Very often the bedrock in locations hit with sinkholes was NOT water-soluble.

We suspect that the global increase in gaping sinkholes is the result of larger solar and seismic phenomena which cause Earth to 'open up' due to a weakened surface-core electric field. See Volcanoes are erupting all over the place right now. Scientists have figured out why: A minute slowdown in the planet's rotation for a recent article about a slowdown in the planet's rotation being at least partly responsible for increased volcanic activity.

For a more in-depth look at the electric connections within earthly and cosmic phenomena, see:
Earth Changes and the Human Cosmic Connection.