Animals
S

Butterfly

Record low number of UK butterflies a 'shock and a mystery'

The average number of peacock butterflies seen by participants in the count fell by 42% compared to last year.
The average number of peacock butterflies seen by participants in the count fell by 42% compared to last year.
Annual Big Butterfly Count records lowest ever number of usually prolific species despite the relatively warm, dry summer

If you think you saw fewer butterflies than ever this British summer, you are probably correct: the Big Butterfly Count has recorded its lowest number of common species since records began.

Normally ubiquitous butterflies such as the gatekeeper, comma and small copper experienced their worst summers in the history of the count, which is run by Butterfly Conservation and began in 2010.

Scientists said the low number of butterflies is "a shock and a mystery" because this summer was warmer than average and much drier in England than the previous worst year for butterflies, 2012, which was unusually cold and wet.

"The drop in butterfly numbers this summer has been a shock," said Richard Fox of Butterfly Conservation. "When we have cold, wet summers, as in 2012, we expect butterfly populations to plummet, but that wasn't the case this year.

Attention

Whale remains found on beach near Pevensey, UK

The remains of the 50ft whale.
© Stephen Marsh The remains of the 50ft whale.
The body of a whale found on a Pevensey Beach has been identified as the same species as the huge creature that famously washed up in almost the exact same place in 1865.

The 50ft (15m) remains were discovered on Friday (October 7) at Normans Bay by Jez Asfour while out walking his dog.

Rob Deaville, of the Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme, said that it was most likely to be a Finback Whale, the second largest type of the mammal after the Blue Whale.

Mr Deaville will be collecting bone samples under license, as it is illegal to take any part of a dead whale without one. He said, "We do not normally get access to this tissue."

The zoologist said that it is impossible to tell how the creature died but he was confident that the rope, found wrapped around its tail, was attached to the body after its death.

A 71ft (21m) Finback Whale, which weighed as much as eight double decker buses, washed up on the beach at Pevensey Bay on Novermber 13, 1865.

Reports say as many as 40,000 people flocked to see the creature, the skeleton of which is still on display at Cambridge Museum of Zoology.

For many, in an age before television or the internet, it was the first time they had ever seen a whale.

Question

Bird deaths mystery in Weeks Bay, Alabama

Dead bird mystery at Weeks Bay
Dead bird mystery at Weeks Bay
State wildlife officials are investigating reports of dead birds found near the mouth of Weeks Bay.

The dead birds, including seagulls, brown pelicans and great blue herons, are located near the boat launch at the end of County Road 1. We counted 17 dead birds at that location Wednesday.

Locals that fish here aren't sure what's happening and are concerned. Some have formed their own theories including illegal shootings, deadly bacteria in Weeks Bay and electrocution from overhead power lines.

A state wildlife spokesperson says they don't know the cause of death but will investigate. Until wildlife experts get a chance to study, research and document, the bird deaths will remain a mystery.

Attention

Black bear attacks couple in their backyard in Squamish, Canada

Officials say a black bear wandered onto a property in Squamish, B.C., and attacked two residents.
© Jeff McIntosh/The Canadian PressOfficials say a black bear wandered onto a property in Squamish, B.C., and attacked two residents.
Two residents of Squamish, B.C. were left with cuts and bruises after a "territorial" black bear attack on the back steps of their home.

The Conservation Officer Service and the District of Squamish said the attack took place Thursday at about 8 p.m. PT in the Garibaldi Estates area south of Garibaldi Way.

Conservation officers said they have set a trap for the bear, which is still at large.

"Territorial bear attacks are rare in Squamish," said Wild Safe B.C. in a Facebook post.

"Leading up to the attack, the bear was seen in fruit trees and unsecured garbage. Now that the fruit trees are no longer producing fruit, food resources are becoming more scarce."

The District of Squamish said the competition for food has led to "extremely high" black bear activity in the area.

Officials are warning Squamish residents to be cautious and to secure garbage and other bear attractants from their homes.

Attention

20ft whale washes up on beach near Hornsea, UK

Minnie the dog surveys a whale has washed up on a beach between Hornsea and Mappleton
Minnie the dog surveys a whale has washed up on a beach between Hornsea and Mappleton
Dog walkers got a shock today when they came across a large whale that had washed up on the beach after a high tide.

The whale, possibly a minke, washed up earlier today between Hornsea and Mappleton and appears to have been dead for some time.

Julie Haggitt, of Hornsea, posted photographs of the whale on Facebook.

She said: "I was just walking my dog Minnie along the beach between Hornsea and Mappleton when I came across the whale.

"I could see three massive gashes in the body and the tail was missing. It looks like it may have got caught in a ship's propeller. It was quite big when you got up close and it must have been about 15 to 20ft long.

Attention

Dead Bryde's whale found on beach in Maharashtra, India

Dead Bryde's whale.
Dead Bryde's whale.
A decomposed body of a 35-40 long Bryde's whale was washed ashore at the Guhagar beach in Ratnagiri district on Friday morning. The body of the whale was spotted by the local villagers who informed the forest department about the same.

An official from the forest department confirmed the same said, "On Friday morning, the body of a whale was ashore on the Guhagar beach."

It should be noted that over the years there has been an increase in the number of marine creatures dying at various beaches in Maharashtra. The autopsy was also not conducted on these animals. The NGOs working in the field of wildlife and environment have been demanding that there needs to be a better coordination and experts should be appointed to conduct the autopsy so that the main reason behind the death of these marine creatures is revealed.

Eye 2

Signs and Portents: Two-headed snake discovered in Moscow, Idaho

Sword swallower, Brad Byers, found the two-headed reptile slithering around the parking lot of the University of Idaho campus on September 16
Sword swallower, Brad Byers, found the two-headed reptile slithering around the parking lot of the University of Idaho campus on September 16
A sideshow performer in Idaho discovered a rare two-headed snake while working in a university parking lot.

Brad Byers shared video of the wandering garter snake with two heads, which he found while driving a forklift.

"I found this two headed baby snake slithering across the parking lot. At first glance I thought it was injured by the forklift I was driving at the time," he said. "I got down and got a closer look at the tiny little guy and found he had two heads!"

Byers works on the University of Idaho campus but also holds a world record for most swords swallowed, according to KTVB.

"What's the odds of a sideshow guy finding a snake like this slithering along?" Byers said.

Byers said the snake was just a baby when he first discovered it on Sept. 16, and that he plans to raise it to adulthood.

Attention

Rabid honey badger attacks couple in South Africa

Honey badger
Honey badger
A honey badger attacked two people near the Cradle of Humankind on Sunday, 2 October leaving them with multiple puncture wounds and a rabies scare.

Gail and Dave Coleman were enjoying a calm Sunday afternoon when they suddenly heard their dogs, three Dobermans, barking aggressively in their yard in Zwartkrans.

Upon investigation, the couple found their dogs fighting an aggressive honey badger. They ran inside the house and called the dogs. It is believed they wanted to protect their dogs from the badger and called them to get them inside. Once the dogs were inside, the security gate was closed, but despite all their efforts to prevent the badger from entering the house, the smart animal wiggled itself through the gate. Badgers are known for their intelligence and perseverance which explains the behaviour of the attacking animal.

The honey badger bit Gail on her ankle. She had to get five stitches.
The honey badger bit Gail on her ankle. She had to get five stitches.

Health

Woman attacked by fisher cat in Coventry, Rhode Island

A Coventry woman says she feared for her life when she was attacked by what she says was a fisher cat.

It happened in her backyard, and now she's warning others in the area to be on the look out in fear the animal may strike again.

ABC6 News would like to warn you some of her injuries in the photos attached are graphic.

Stitches
© Honey Marie Meaker
"All of a sudden I felt immense pain of my right foot and I just screamed really loud because I was trying to scare it away," said Honey Marie Meaker, who is still shaken up form the traumatic experience after being attacked by what she calls a vicious animal.

The injury she sustained is so bad she's now on crutches.

"I had no idea what it was, I didn't hear any noise, didn't hear any sounds. I just felt the pain, this excruciating pain," said Honey Marie.

It happened when she and her 13-year-old daughter took out the trash.

Honey had no clue what attacked her, but her daughter got a better look at it saying it was a fisher cat.

Comment: See also: Boy bitten by a fisher in Rehoboth backyard, Massachusetts

Unusual fisher attack on dog in Ledyard, Connecticut

Question

Starlings fall to the ground along motorway near Vienna, Austria

Starling
© Philip HeronStarling
A flock of drunken starlings caused chaos on an Austrian motorway earlier this week when they fell onto a stretch of the A2 road between Inzersdorf and Vösendorf, causing traffic jams several kilometres long.

Witnesses described the scene as like something out of a horror film. Some people commented on the unusual event online, joking that the birds ought to have been tested for "air worthiness".

Ornithologists were initially confused as to what had caused the birds to fall into the road but now believe that they had gorged on fermented berries - which contain naturally occurring alcohol - and got drunk on them.

Rain and foggy conditions further confused them, so that they didn't know where they were going and lost their bearings over the motorway, crashing into cars and trucks.

Comment: The mundane explanation proffered above for this strange event (that of starlings becoming drunk after eating fermented berries), does not really stand up to close scrutiny. Starlings are largely insectivorous and forage close to the ground and probably only eat berries when their natural prey items are not available to them, for instance, during adverse weather conditions of prolonged snow cover or severe frosts.

See also this substantial catalogue of similar reports from over the last 6 years:

Dozens of dead and dying starlings found on road in Wichita, Kansas

Dozens of dead birds found on street in Elmira, New York

Dozens of dead birds found along I-5 in Redding, California

Two dozen dead birds discovered along road in Chantilly, Virginia

100 birds found dead on roadside near Picher, Oklahoma

Dozens of dead birds found along highway in Youngstown, Ohio

Flock of dead starlings falls out of sky in Bolton, England after 'loud bang' heard overhead

Scientists baffled by over 100 dead starlings in Missouri

Dozens of disoriented birds fall out of the sky in Spring Hill, Tennessee

Hundreds of birds mysteriously dying in El Reno, Oklahoma

Dead birds falling from the sky in Oklahoma, experts say 'no cause for concern.' Right!

Over 30 birds fall dead from the sky in Norman, Oklahoma

Hundreds of birds fall dead from the sky on Aden Road in Nokesville, Virginia

Dead birds fall 'like raindrops' In Winnipeg's North End

Double deja vu on December 31st? Up to 300 starlings litter roadway and fields in Seymour, Tennessee

Dead birds "falling from the sky" in Port Arthur, Texas neighborhood

Dead birds fall out of the sky near Fort Worth, Texas - Second time in 5 months

Meteoric Deja-vu: Exactly one year later, dead blackbirds fall again in Beebe, Arkansas

Alabama: Hundreds of Dead Blackbirds Found Along I-65 In Athens

More birds fall out of the sky, this time in Sweden

US, Kentucky: Over 30 Birds Mysteriously Die on Montgomery County Road

Now HUNDREDS More Birds Fall from the Sky in Kentucky and Louisiana and Tens of THOUSANDS of Dead Fish Wash Ashore

A Sign for the New Year: 1,000 Birds Fall From the Sky in Beebe, Arkansas

'Crazy': Dozens of dead birds fall from the sky in New Jersey

Mysterious Bird Deaths Investigated Near Dacono

US: Thousands of Dead Birds Picked Up in Arkansas Town

US: Hundreds of dead blackbirds found in Louisiana

US: Hundreds Of Birds Found Dead in Oklahoma

Grisly Mystery After Scores of Starlings Fall Out of the Sky and Lie Dying...in a SINGLE Front Garden