Fireballs
S

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball seen over Hungary

The fireball on our webcam in the garden city of Pécs
The fireball on our webcam in the garden city of Pécs
It was visible to the southwest at 6:28 p.m. We are waiting for your photos!

Based on the comments on our Facebook post, hundreds of our readers saw the event. As it did not darken completely after sunset, relatively few recordings were made of the otherwise spectacular phenomenon.

Admission of Orsolya Bernáth from Martonvásár, thank you!

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball over central Spain (October 21)

fireball
This stunning bolide was recorded over Spain on 2021 October 21, at 1:16h local time (which is equivalent to 23:16 universal time on October 20). It was produced by a fragment (a meteoroid) from a comet. This fragment impacted the atmosphere at about 237.000 km/h. The fireball began at a height of about 137 km over the northeast of the province of Segovia, and ended at an altitude of around 75 km over the north of the province of Ávila.

The event was recorded in the framework of the SMART project, operated by the Southwestern Europe Meteor Network (SWEMN), from the meteor-observing stations located at La Hita (Toledo), La Sagra (Granada), Sevilla, Sierra Nevada (Granada), Huelva, El Guijo (Madrid), and Calar Alto (Almería). The event has been analyzed by the principal investigator of the SMART project: Dr. Jose M. Madiedo, from the Institute of Astrophysics of Andalusia (IAA-CSIC).

Fireball 2

'I've never been so scared in my life': Golden, B.C. woman nearly hit by meteorite

Comment: This was featured on SOTT.net October 8th, 2021 originally from the Cowichan Valley Citizen:

British Columbia woman awakes to a hole in her roof and a space rock on her pillow

The update below includes an interview with the residence of the house that was hit.

Meteor over Lake Louise
© Hao Qin (Photography)
Ruth Hamilton was sound asleep last week when she was awoken by her dog barking, the sound of a crash through her ceiling and the feeling of debris on her face, the resident of Golden, B.C., said Monday.

She said she jumped out of bed and turned on the light to figure out what had happened, and discovered a hole in her ceiling.

"I've never been so scared in my life," she said of the Oct. 3 incident. "I wasn't sure what to do so I called 911 and, when I was speaking with the operator, I flipped over my pillow and saw that a rock had slipped between two pillows."

Comment: See also the following series of articles from author, Pierre Lescaudron:

Of Flash Frozen Mammoths and Cosmic Catastrophes
Did Earth 'Steal' Martian Water?
Volcanoes, Earthquakes And The 3,600 Year Comet Cycle
The Seven Destructive Earth Passes of Comet Venus

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball seen over Texas and other states

fireball
We received 48 reports about a fireball seen over AL, AR, KS, MO, MS, OK, TN and TX on Wednesday, October 20th 2021 around 01:09 UT.

For this event, we received one video.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball over Spain on October 19

fireball
This fireball was spotted over Spain on 19 October 2021, at 7:11 local time (equivalent to 5:11 universal time). The bolide was generated by a rock (a meteoroid) from a comet that hit the atmosphere at about 90,000 km/h. The fireball began at an altitude of about 93 km over the center of the province of Cuenca (region of Castilla-La Mancha), and ended at a height of around 51 km over the northwest of the province of Valencia (Valencian Community).

This meteor was recorded in the framework of the SMART project, operated by the Southwestern Europe Meteor Network (SWEMN) from the meteor-observing stations located at La Hita (Toledo), Sierra Nevada, La Sagra (Granada), Calar Alto (Almería), and Sevilla. The event has been analyzed by the principal investigator of the SMART project: Dr. Jose M. Madiedo, from the Institute of Astrophysics of Andalusia (IAA-CSIC).

Info

The Hopewell Airburst Event

American cosmic airburst in late Roman times revealed by Tankersly and Saniel-Banrey of University of Cincinnati.
Chicxulub Impact Event
© Science
Meteorites, silicious vesicular melt glass, Fe and Si-rich magnetic spherules, positive Ir and Pt anomalies, and burned charcoal-rich Hopewell habitation surfaces demonstrate that a cosmic airburst event occurred over the Ohio River valley during the late Holocene. A comet-shaped earthwork was constructed near the airburst epicenter. Twenty-nine radiocarbon ages demonstrate that the event occurred between 252 and 383 CE, a time when 69 near-Earth comets were documented. While Hopewell people survived the catastrophic event, it likely contributed to their cultural decline. The Hopewell comet airburst expands our understanding of the frequency and impact of cataclysmic cosmic events on complex human societies.

Abstract — The Hopewell airburst event, 1699-1567 years ago(252-383 CE) — october 13, 2021

Fireball 3

Japanese astronomers record possible impact event on Jupiter

A group of Japanese astronomers just discovered a potential new impact at the planet Jupiter.
Impact Flash Jupiter
Get your scorecards out — Jupiter just took another interplanetary hit. If it's confirmed it would be the 11th observed comet or asteroid strike at the gas giant since the pieces of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 slammed into Jupiter in 1994.

A little more than a month after five amateurs independently recorded a similar flash, a team of astronomers, led by Ko Arimatsu of Kyoto University, filmed this most recent flare in Jupiter's cloud tops at 13:24 UT on Friday, October 15th.

The potential impact flash appears around the 12-second mark in this video of Jupiter made on Friday, October 15th.
Ko Arimatsu / Kyoto University

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball over California on October 19

fireball
We received 32 reports about a fireball seen over CA on Tuesday, October 19th 2021 around 01:40 UT.

For this event, we received one video.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball over California and 3 other states

fireball
We received 131 reports about a fireball seen over AZ, CA, NV and UT on Sunday, October 17th 2021 around 03:47 UT.

For this event, we received 3 videos.

Fireball 2

Dramatic moment meteor fireball streaks across the sky above Leicester, UK

The meteor and its flaming tail are clearly visible in the top of the screenshot
© Reddit u/Jackster2The meteor and its flaming tail are clearly visible in the top of the screenshot
Crystal-clear dashcam footage shows a meteor burning in the skies above England.

In the clip, recorded on Friday (October 15) at about 9:18pm in Leicester, a fireball hurtles towards the ground and is outlined dramatically against the black night sky.

The meteor is so visible you can see the fiery tail streaking behind it as it burns in Earth's atmosphere.

Since it was uploaded on Reddit last night by u/Jackster21 the footage has been watched thousands of times and people were impressed.