© SNN Local News
Sadie Muniz and her children, 2-year-old Isabella Muniz and 10-year-old Julien Guevara, outside their Sarasota home that was damaged by lightning.
"I heard the crash and immediately thought it was a bomb," Donald Sheeler of Sarasota said.
His next-door neighbor, Renee Peterson, instead thought a plane crashed.
But the loud boom and the sound of shattering glass they both heard came from something more ordinary than a bomb or a plane crash.
A lightning bolt struck a house in the 100 block of North Jefferson Avenue the night of June 22, leaving its occupants temporarily homeless.
Sadie Muniz was with her husband, Javier, and two children, 2-year-old Isabella and 10-year-old Julien, when lightning struck an electrical box outside their home.
"I was so scared," Julien said. "I ran down the hall to find a place to hide, and my dad told me to go to the other room."
Muniz describes herself as being "in shock" from the blast. "I had no clue what happened," she said. "I was shaking so bad, I couldn't figure out how to use my phone."
The fire department was on the scene within three minutes. Six fire trucks lined the street as firemen went through the house with thermal readers to make sure the walls were not producing heat.
After deeming the house uninhabitable, firemen then connected the Muniz family with the Red Cross for emergency assistance.
Florida Power & Light had to shut power off from the main line.
Three windows popped from their frames without breaking, but four others shattered completely along with a sliding glass door.
Electrical sockets blew out of the walls. Black marks cover the electrical panel. And in the Florida room, where most of the damage occurred, a wall under one of the windows tore open.
The Red Cross paid for the family to stay at a hotel for six nights. Resurrection House moved them to a different hotel, where they may stay until Friday.
After Friday, the family does not know what they will do. Still, Muniz feels grateful.
"There are so many scenarios that could have played out," she said.
One of which was the small difference between open and shut curtains. Muniz was changing her daughter when glass from a bedroom window shattered.
"The curtains are normally open; that glass would've been right on top of us," she said.
Muniz, who rents the house, did not have renter's insurance and has a feeling all of her appliances were zapped too.
For now, Muniz's boss is helping with paid time off, and her landlord is not charging her rent for the month.
But if the house is not inspected and deemed livable by Aug. 23, Muniz is facing another problem. Her federal rental assistance will be cut because the agency cannot pay out on unlivable properties.
An insurance adjuster assessed the damage on Friday, and Muniz is hopeful the family will be moving back to their house within two weeks.
Although the Muniz house took the brunt of the bolt, the destruction was not isolated. A phone box and cable wires were sparking overhead of the road. Residents lost power and cable for several hours.
Sheeler and Peterson, who live across the street, both suffered damage to their homes. Sheeler's kitchen window blew out, and the right side of Peterson's house is still without power.
"My computer is hooked up to a 30-foot orange cord," Peterson said.
But, as she looked across the street, Peterson said, "We're feeling fortunate and are all very happy the Munizes will be coming back."