- 22-year-old had been dropping off her ex-boyfriend when she was attacked
The 22-year-old and her unborn baby were expected to live after the horrific ordeal on Saturday morning.
The unknown attacker apparently told the woman that the abduction was linked to her pregnancy.
The child's father witnessed the attack, but did not call 911 - and police suggested the man did not want another baby.
The woman had been dropping off her ex-boyfriend at his new girlfriend's house when the attack took place in Warren, Michigan.
She told police that she had pulled into the garage when the door slammed shut behind her.
Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green told ABC News: 'The next thing she knew she was grabbed by the throat and a gun was put to her head.'
The attacker then covered her mouth with duct tape and bound her hands and feet before driving her to a deserted Detroit alley.
She was doused in liquid before a match was lit and she was set on fire.
The woman managed to get out of the car and began rolling on the ground to put out the flames. Then two shots were fired and one bullet struck her in the back.
During the attack, she was told 'you know why this is happening' by the assailant before he referred to her pregnancy.
She played dead until the man left and then managed to get to her mother's home who took her to the hospital.
An ultrasound showed that the baby had survived and was in good health while the mother was expected to recover from her injuries.
The woman's ex-boyfriend was taken into custody and was named as a person of interest.
He had not called 911 when she was kidnapped and police believed that the motive could be he did not want another baby.