Wed, 21 Sep 2011 21:31 CDT
Three children have died and more than 50 others are seriously ill in Peru after eating a school meal contaminated with pesticide, officials say.
The children were being fed by a government nutrition programme for the poor, at a remote mountain village in the north of the country.
It is thought the meal of rice and fish was prepared in a container which previously held pesticide, with fatal results.
Three adults have also been taken ill.
The mass poisoning happened in the village of Redondo in the Cajamarca region, about 750km (470 miles) north of the capital, Lima.
The three dead were between six and 10 years old.
The food had been donated by the National Food Assistance Programme, which gives food to schools in the poorest parts of the country.
Prosecutors and health ministry officials are investigating how it became tainted with poison.
In a similar case in 1999, 24 children died in a village near Cusco in southern Peru after eating food contaminated by pesticide.