Fireballs
S

Fireball

Meteor fireball brightens skies over southern California

Fireball over SoCal
© YouTube/lightvalve
On September 17, 2019, the American Meteor Society (AMS) received 63 reports of a fireball seen over southern California. AMS members Alexander O. and Lightvalve recorded footage of the event:

Comet 2

Two sightings in two years suggest there could be lots more interstellar comets

Interstellar Comets
© VW PICS/UNIVERSAL IMAGES GROUP VIA GETTY IMAGESItโ€™s possible that other solar systems are flinging comets into interstellar space, and we might be able to see them in the next few years as technology improves.
For the second time in two years, astronomers have spotted an interstellar interloper heading into our Solar System.

The first, dubbed 'Oumuamua, was spotted on 19 October 2017.

This one, named 2I/Borisov, was discovered on 30 August 2019 by amateur astronomer Gennady Borisov of Nauchnij, Crimea, using a home-built 65-centimeter telescope.

It was initially thought to be an ordinary comet, says Davide Farnocchia of NASA's Center for Near-Earth Object Studies, Pasadena, California.

But a week of observations by amateur and professional astronomers revealed that it was on an orbit that must have originated outside the Solar System and is now in the process of slingshotting around the Sun before heading back into interstellar space. (The "2I" in its name means it is "interstellar object number 2.")

Already, it is proving to be quite different from its predecessor. To begin with, it's much larger. 'Oumuamua (now officially called 1I/'Oumuamua) was a cigar-shaped object, only 800 meters long. 2I/Borisov is probably several kilometers in diameter.

Fireball 3

Night sky illuminated by huge meteor fireball over London, England

Fireball over London
© YouTube/ UK Meteor Observation Network
It was previously reported that a large asteroid was approaching Earth. Its diameter is approximately 190 to 430 metres, making it twice as large as the famous Pyramid of Cheops in Egypt.

According to eyewitnesses, London has been illuminated by a meteor, with some of them managing to record the dramatic footage.

Fireball 3

'Fireball' meteor lights up skies over Tasmania and Victoria

Tasmania meteor fireball
© Brodie MorganThe fireball is captured in mobile phone footage, taken in northern Tasmania.
A fireball meteor โ€” possibly as small as a tennis ball โ€” has burst into the Earth's atmosphere causing a flash of light and a sound "like thunder" over Tasmania and Victoria, causing some to fear the worst.

The object flew across the horizon just before 8:30pm (AEST), with videos being shared by excited eyewitnesses in both states.

Adrian from Mole Creek said he saw a vivid light and heard what "sounded like thunder".

"I was outside and it was all nice and dark and suddenly the backyard lit up, like a helicopter going over with a spotlight, quite low," he said.

Dominic McAlinden said he covered his ears, expecting an explosion.

"Night turned to day, and a blue-and-white streak turned red and orange as it burnt up," he said.

Victor was behind the wheel on the Bass Highway in northern Tasmania when "just out of the corner of my eye to the east I saw what appeared to be like a skyrocket shooting down to the ground".

Hazel, in Penguin on the northern Tasmania coast said "it lit the whole town up".

Stop

Mysterious boom causes panic in Davidson, North Carolina

Mystery boom (stock)
© myjournalcourier.com
Families in a Davidson community are frightened after hearing a mysterious loud boom on Monday. The Davidson Police Department is investigating.

"So I was putting her down for a nap and I swear it like shook our entire house," Jacqueline Hawtin said. "I was scared."

This is normally a quiet neighborhood, but a loud mysterious boom sent people into a panic.

"I called my husband," Hawtin said. "I called my neighbor."

Hawtin hurried out the door with her young daughter, Harley.

"I looked over here to make sure no one hit the garage or anything," Hawtin said.

Meteor

Mysterious 'loud bang' heard in northern Scotland

Mystery boom - stock
© Thinkstock/Getty Images
People have reported hearing the sound of a "loud bang" in the Highlands on Tuesday night.

The noise was heard by people in and around Ullapool at about 20:00.

British Geological Survey has ruled out an earthquake and the RAF said it was not a sonic boom caused by one of its jets.

The UK Meteor Network said it was possible the sound was caused by a fireball, but it had received no reports of one from Scotland.

It also said it was unconnected to meteors spotted from England at 20:17 and 20:45.

Reports received by BBC Scotland News online on Tuesday suggested the bang was heard near Ullapool in the north west Highlands, further north at Drumbeg as well as Kiltarlity near Inverness.

Comment: This report is the third 'loud boom' reported in Scotland within the past few weeks.

Fireball 2

Striking photo captures moment meteor fireball flies over Sunderland, England

Fireball over Sunderland, England
© Umit Inanc
Resident Umit Inanc said he spotted the impressive space matter while having a cigarette outside of his home on Oldfield Close, Southwick, on Sunday, September 15.

He said he looked up into the sky at around 10.10pm and saw the meteor flying through the sky.

Umit said: "It was amazingI just went out for a cigarette and the next minute I saw it shooting across the sky.

"I'm a bit into astronomy so I was 100% sure it was a meteor, which means it will dissolve before it hits the ground."

"It it the first time I have seen anything like that - it was quite spooky but nice to see as well."

Fireball 2

Stunning meteor fireball captured in central Idaho sky

Fireball over Glenns Ferry, ID
© YouTube/AMS/Anna Morris
On September 12, 2019, the American Meteor Society received a report of a meteor soaring over Glenns Ferry, Idaho. Anna Morris captured the footage with her meteor cam:

Fireball 4

Meteor fireball seen flying through the night sky in Parana, Brazil

Fireball over Brazil
© YouTube/AMS/Alessandro R.
On September 13, 2019, the American Meteor Society (AMS) received 12 reports of a meteor over the State of Parana, Brazil. AMS member 'Alessandro R' uploaded footage of the event:

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball streaks across the North Carolina sky

A car dashcam recorded a fireball streaking across the night sky in North Carolina.
A car dashcam recorded a fireball streaking across the night sky in North Carolina.

An ABC11 viewer recorded the video Thursday night while driving on Raleigh Road in Wilson toward Airport Boulevard.

In the top right of the screen, a bright light can be seen entering the frame and streaking toward the horizon for about three seconds.