Fireballs
S

Fireball

Mysterious boom rattles San Diego residents

San Diego
© 7 San Diego
Several people across San Diego County reported hearing a loud, mysterious boom Tuesday afternoon.

An NBC 7 viewer told us, around 3:18 p.m., she heard two loud booms that shook the windows in her home in Santee.

There were multiple posts on social media of people reporting their homes rattled from the boom. The posts were from residents across the county, including Clairemont, Santee, and San Diego.

Some wrote that they suspected the sounds were caused by a sonic boom, but NBC 7 has not confirmed that.

Comment: Fox News San Diego reports two large "bangs" were heard. Residents also reported a car moving back and forth and a "large glowing ball in the western sky".

Fireball 4

Brilliant green meteor fireball photographed over Southern India

Green Meteor over South India
© Prasenjeet Yadav
While exploring the sky islands of the Western Ghats in 2015, molecular ecologist turned photographer Prasenjeet Yadav shot a rather rare photograph with a green meteor up in the sky and the twinkling lights of the town below. It earned him a plethora of awards, including National Geographic Nature Photographer of the year, 2016, and also an Honourable Mention in the Landscape Category by National Geographic. The photograph was shot on October 9, 2015, and Yadav was at the Nilgiri's near Ooty when he shot the green meteor. The town he is overlooking is Mettupalayam.

"This is probably the only composed photo of a green meteor. No photographer can plan this shot. This can happen for a fraction of second anywhere in the universe, and the fun part is, I was sleeping when my camera captured it. Everything else was hard work but for those 15 seconds, I was the luckiest photographer on the planet," says Yadav, who was working on a story on sky islands of Western Ghats when he shot this. Along with bird ecologist Dr Robin Vijayan, Yadav was working on a project to understand the role these mountains play in the formation of new species.

Born in Nagpur, Yadav went to Bangalore to pursue research at the National Center for Biological Science. In 2013, he moved to photography and began concentrating on environment and conservation stories. He is reportedly the only Indian to be represented by the National Geographic Creative. Although he has stepped away from the academic realm, Yadav considers himself a non-traditional scientist and often collaborates with researchers, policy makers and conservationists for his projects in the world of nature photography. Currently, he is working on a story on the sky islands of southern India for National Geographic and is documenting the unseen species of amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals found only in the south Western Ghats.

Fireball 4

Bright green meteor fireball lights up skies over Exeter, UK

meteor fireball over Exeter
© John MacleanThe meteor fireball over Exeter
A bright green 'fireball' lit up the skies over Exeter as a meteor blasted through the atmosphere and gave a spectacular natural light show.

The 'bolide' meteor was a random ball of metals that exploded as it entered the atmosphere - and experts say it may have landed before it was able to burn up.

The flash was caught for more than seven seconds as it streaked over our skies, thanks to a meteor observation camera at Exeter Observatory.

The observatory's John Maclean, a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, said the flash was so bright it was easily visible to the naked eye.

He said: "Someone saw it and called me, so this was obviously a very bright one. The person who saw it was out walking their dog and described a bright green flash. This was a bolide, or fireball - not usual."

Mr Maclean, an astronomer and lecturer who works with NASA and has a 25-year military background, said the Exeter Observatory is part of a network that captures more than 20,000 meteors on camera every year - but very few this impressive.

He said the Exeter camera is part of the 48-camera UK Meteor Monitoring Network.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball seen in the skies above Huddersfield, UK?

Fireball
What appears to be fireball has been spotted in the Yorkshire skies.

A short video clip, filmed by 22-year-old Abbey Shaw, seems to show a blaze of fire streaking through the sky above Huddersfield.

Shaw, who works at the University of Huddersfield's IT department, is baffled as to what it could be.

'I don't have a clue what it is,' she said, 'It looks like some sort of fireball. I do not think for one minute that it is a plane!

'Everyone at work agrees with me too. You can tell by the speed that it is travelling at.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball blazes across Siberian city of Omsk

Meteor over Omsk
© CENMotorists were given an extraordinary experience as the meteor blazed across the sky.
Motorists in the city of Omsk in Siberia were treated to the rare phenomenon as the falling space rock crashed to earth. The meteor, which appeared in the Omsk Oblast, appeared to be a massive fireball and was visible for miles. However experts say the flaring object was actually probably small enough to fit in your pocket.

Vladimir Krupko, head of the local planetarium, said: "Most likely it was a small meteorite, the size of a walnut.

"Since it was flying up high in the air, it was visible from other cities as well.

"When it entered the atmosphere it caught fire at about 120 kilometres (74.5 miles) above the ground, and by the time it was 40-60 kilometres (25-37 miles) above the ground the fire had gone out."

Despite there being plenty of larger objects whizzing around our solar system, no large meteorites, which are debris from a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid, are expected for at least 100 years, Mr Krupko said.

Comment: A few weeks ago two large meteor fireballs were caught on camera in northwestern Russia.

Fireball 5

Meteor fireball seen over Donegal, Ireland

Fireball over Donegal, Ireland
© Via YouTube/Donegal Weather Channel
Last night Saturday 21st of January I had clear sky for the fist part of the night here in Donegal, Ireland and had my camera out covering the night sky when a beautiful fireball fell too the north sky. I was lucky enough of to capture this as it was starting to cloud over.

I had a number of reports on my Facebook page of the same fireball which was seen in another few spot of The northwest and northern Ireland.

The Fireball occurred at 9.32pm 21st January 2017.

Note that the video is looped.

Fireball

Meteor? New Orleans residents report flash of pinkish light, loud booms, home rattling

Loud boom in New Orleans
© WWLTV
Residents have been reporting something strange happening in Uptown.

On multiple occasions, a loud 'boom' has been heard, some even reporting the sound follows a flash of pinkish light.

Many who've witnessed it said they haven't the slightest idea what it is or where it's coming from.

"This is more like a deeper boom," said resident Neal Royer.

Some even joke around with their own theories. "Leah thinks it's aliens," said Eric Rucker pointing to his wife as they both chuckled. "Maybe a zombie apocalypse happening across the street." However, all laughing aside, people all over Uptown are asking, what is it?

"I was walking my dogs and I saw behind me that there was some kind of flash and a boom," said Cindy Stein. "It was like a pinkish flash. There were people outside who saw it too saying what they heard or saw."

For weeks a loud 'boom' has rattled quiet neighborhoods at night or early in the morning.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball breaks up over Victoria, Australia

meteorito
A meteorite burning across the ยญMallee sky last Friday night has spotters talking.

Wollongong-based amateur astronomer David Finlay said the "massive" fireball was seen about 11.05pm on January 13.

"From Melbourne and Shepparton, this meteor appeared low to the ground to the north-west, but I suspect it may have been very close to the Mildura area," Mr Finlay said.

"It split into several pieces in the end and a team from Monash University and I are trying to track it down."

Fireball

Daytime meteor fireball explodes over Norway

Daytime fireball over Norway
© norskmeteornettverk.no
An impressive bright flash appeared above central Norway on January 15, 2017, and was observed from both western and eastern Norway. Eyewitnesses are asked to submit their reports.

According to the Norwegian Meteor Network, the event occurred around 13:48 UTC and was accompanied by a sonic boom a few minutes later, suggesting that the event was a fireball coming a long way down in the atmosphere before it exploded.

The meteor network operates numerous cameras, but the event was apparently not recorded by any of them. If you saw the event, please submit your report.

Received reports so far mention very intense light that dissolved into small fragments before it disappeared. Two of them said the light was blue and well visible.

The reports came from the regional districts Sogn og Fjordane, Mรธre og Romsdal, Oppland, and Rogaland. The most distant observations are from the city Haugesund in western Norway and Lunner county.

Norway fireball map
© International Meteor OrganizationPreliminary location of the January 15, 2017 fireball over Norway according to the few comments and reports received so far.

Fireball 2

Bright meteor fireball explodes over Puerto Rico

meteor fireball over Puerto Rico
© YouTube/Frankie Lucena (screen capture)
Very bright fireball explodes just south of Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico on Jan 12, 2017 at 5:11am local time.