Fireballs
S

Fireball 2

Bright meteor fireball reported over Bahia, Brazil (VIDEOS)

AMS event 690-2018 Bahia, Brazil
© American Meteor SocietyAMS event 690-2018
Residents of Salvador, the capital of Brazil's northeastern state of Bahia, reported a bright meteor fireball streaking through the night sky around 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday 20th February according to A Tarde On Line. Sightings of the event were also recorded in other parts of the region and shared on social media reports Mรญdia Bahia.

"Has anyone else seen a 'meteor' crossing Pituba now?" asked a Facebook user. "I do not know it was a shooting star, but I just saw a fireball falling from the sky with a huge flash. Did anyone else from Salvador see?" Another on Twitter said "Does anyone explain this glare in the sky of Salvador? And that object falling and catching fire? I do not know what it was, I've never seen anything like it."

Fireball 4

Green meteor fireball seen over British Columbia

Fireball - stock image
Stock image
A large, green-turquoise object with an unusually long tail streaked across the skies of British Columbia's Lower Mainland on Sunday evening, around 8:50 p.m.

The meteor was witnessed by Metro from the TransCanada Highway near Chilliwack, to the northwest and seemingly heading northward.

Others in the region described it as a "fireball," and witnesses soon took to Twitter to confirm their accounts from as far away as Victoria, B.C. and Seattle.

Meteorologist Chris Doyle, Enviroment and Climate Change Canada's acting associate regional director of prediction services, saw the object and tweeted what he saw.

Fireball 4

'Shooting star' lights up Oshawa, Ontario night sky

Fireball over Ontario
© Collin Williamson
Photographer Colin Williamson snapped what he described as a 'fireball' across the sky last night.

"One of the most beautiful shooting stars I have ever seen," he tweeted. "This was awesome to see."

The photo he shared with us was taken at Grandview St. North in Oshawa by Victoria Ryszkowski, one of the journalism students Williamson teaches about night photography.

Fireball 2

Fireball seen over Oregon, Washington and British Columbia

Meteor fireball (stock)
© Ikonacolor/Getty Images (file photo)
Did you see the Valentine's night fireball anywhere in Oregon? Perhaps the Oregon coast?

The American Meteor Society (AMS) and OMSI astronomer Jim Todd are reporting a sizable fiery object plummeting towards Earth about 9:20 p.m. on Wednesday, with reports all over the west coast of the U.S. and as far inland as Wyoming and Illinois.

The best documentation comes from a video taken by KPTV Channel 12 newsman John Hendricks, which is a pretty spectacular four seconds.

Todd compiled reports from various sources and said it was definitely seen from Oregon and SW Washington, including plenty of sightings from Vancouver, Portland, Sherwood, and some from McMinnville and other parts of wine country. It appears that is the farthest west from which reports came, and so far none from the actual Oregon coast.

Fireball 2

Beach cam captures meteor fireball lighting up the skies over Dawlish, UK

Meteor over Dawlish, UK
© Dawlish Beach Cam
This is the moment a webcam captured a bright fireball light up the sky over Dawlish before fizzling out.

Dawlish Beach Cam runs a 24-hour live feed from their web cams at Dawlish, and one eagle-eyed viewer spotted the astrological phenomenon.

A meteorite is a solid piece of debris from an object, such as a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid that originates in outer space and survives its passage through the atmosphere to reach the surface of a planet or moon.

When the object enters the atmosphere, various factors like friction, pressure, and chemical interactions with the atmospheric gases cause it to heat up and radiate that energy.

Fireball 3

Possible meteor fireball reported in southeast Newfoundland

Meteor fireball (stock)
© Ikonacolor/Getty Images (file photo)
A woman in Deer Park is looking for others who may have seen what she believes was a meteor zipping through the skies in the early morning hours.

Danielle Dewling was outside her house just before 2:00 a.m. Wednesday morning when she noticed a dazzling sight in the sky.

She says she looked up and saw a big flash of orange streaking through the sky that looked like a meteor from the movie 'Armageddon.'

The Royal Astronomical Society says it hasn't received any reports as of now, but urges anyone who may have seen the supposed meteor to report it to the group.

Fireball 2

Bolide captured over western France

France bolide 12 Feb 2108
© FRIPONThe bolide of February 12, 2018, 05:06 min UT, recorded with FRIPON cameras located at Vannes (left), Nantes (middle) and Angers (right).
A bolide (meteor brighter than the planet Venus) was captured over western France on Tuesday, February 12, at 06h 06min 30s (French local time, or 05h 06min 30s UT). According to Vigie-Ciel the object was recorded by cameras of the FRIPON network (Fireball Recovery and Interplanetary Observation Network) and initial analysis indicates the bolide entered the atmosphere almost vertical above the city of Nantes, with a trajectory roughly East-West.

The American Meteor Society (AMS) has received over 75 reports of this event, some from parts of the UK. Some witnesses describe the event as having "a trail of fire", Ouest-France reports. "She arrived suddenly. It made a kind of white trail, and at the end of the trajectory, like a small implosion. It was very impressive, I wondered if it was not a plane, even a UFO! " says Jason, living in Saint-Senoux (35), who viewed the scene from the window of his room.

Bolide over France 12 Feb 2018
© AMSLocation map of people who reported their testimony of the meteor fireball on Monday, February 12th.

Fireball

'Meteorite ball of fire' spotted in night skies of Horsham, UK

Fireball - stock image
Stock image
A breathtaking 'supermoon' visible in the Sussex sky last week led to another astral discovery for a Horsham woman.

Maggie Dellard went out into the garden of her home in Pines Ridge to look at the moon after seeing reports of the phenomenon on television - and was shocked to discover another startling spectacle. "I looked up and there was this big meteorite flying over Tanbridge School," she said. "It was a big ball of fire with a tail behind it.

"I called out to my husband Keith to come and look, but it totally vanished by the time he came out."

Maggie, 73, said: "I just can't believe I am the only person in Horsham to have seen it. It couldn't have been anything else but a meteorite.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball reported over western skies in the US

A fireball was observed over a wide part of the western United States Tuesday night, Springdale, Utah, Feb. 6, 2018
© Heath SernaA fireball was observed over a wide part of the western United States Tuesday night, Springdale, Utah, Feb. 6, 2018
A fireball seen Tuesday night over skies in the western United States attracted quite a bit of attention.

A fireball was observed over a wide part of the western United States Tuesday night, Springdale, Utah, Feb. 6,

The American Meteor Society reported on their website that the fireball, which occurred at approximately 7:33 p.m. MST, was seen by viewers in a wide swath over the West. Reports flooded in from California, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Texas and one report from St. George.

The meteor was very noticeable in most areas. An observer in Emeryville, California, sent his description of the sighting to the American Meteor Society website.

Fireball 4

Oklahoma City resident captures meteor fireball on dash cam

Fireball over OK
© news9.com
An Oklahoma City resident captured video of a meteor streaking across the sky, early Monday morning.

Jared Catalano sent in the video he recorded on his dashboard camera to News 9. Catalano said he was traveling south on N. Portland Avenue, near NW 150th Street, when the meteor appeared, just before 7 a.m.

You can watch News9's coverage here.

Comment: A mysterious house-shaking boom was reported by residents in central Oklahoma (including Oklahoma City) on February 5th:

'It was loud!' Mysterious boom, shock wave rattles homes in central Oklahoma