Fireballs
S

Fireball 2

Possible meteor spotted over Phoenix

Mysterious light
© KPHO/KTVKMysterious light was spotted in the sky Saturday night.
Phoenix - A light in the sky was spotted over the Valley on Saturday night and some are wondering what it was.

One of our viewers was able to record the sudden burst of light in the sky before it suddenly disappeared.

Some witnesses said it looked like a meteor falling from the sky while others thought it might have been a flare.

No official word on what the light was.

Fireball

Huge bright meteor fireball lights up sky over Hampshire, UK

meteor fireball April 2016
Representative image

UK Meteor Network releases incredible pictures of a space object dramatically burning up in Earth's atmosphere

The UK Meteor Network has recorded incredible pictures of a "fireball" lighting up the skies over Hampshire.

Stargazers took advantage of the clear weather to snap the meteor from four different locations at about 2am last night.

The group's camera network recorded black and white images of the astonishing fireball, which would have made a dramatic sight on a dark night.

It shone with an "intense" light which may even been bright enough to cast a shadow.

Fireball 4

Bright green meteor fireball spotted over Kentucky, Illinois

Fireball - stock image
Stock image

Initial Meteor Reports

15APR2016 Tiffany Binkley Calvert City, Ky 2230 3-5 N-W green; moon, no I was driving and there were trees all around me, but it looked huge.

15APR2016 Bryan Schaumburg, IL, USA 22:16 PM Central Only seen the last second or two of the burn E-W travel Stopped South West of Roselle Rd, facing SW Greenish White in color, no sound high beam headlight brightness, too dark to see any fragmentation. 7It was already moving fairly slowly when I seen it, and fairly close to the ground, probably below 500 ft. Too short of viewing time for any better guesses or info.

15APR2016 Andrew Rukavina Mundelein, IL USA approx 2215 hour 15 seconds from east to west i was driving south multi colored and very large between the Moon and Venus - very bright and large not sure it was large...it was not a reflection. I pulled over which i never do except once when I saw an amazing display of northern lights it was the biggest thing i've ever seen....I was heading southbound at intersection of 137 and 60 in Mundelein, IL. I had just made the turn onto 60 from 137 and was headed south, so no light pollution to create any illusions... I'm a 59 year old attorney... was not drinking or anything else...it flamed out shortly before it went over the cornfield.

15APR2016 Steve Wilson Rock Island,IL,USA 22:16 in Central Time Zone 3-4 seconds Facing South, I saw a bright white light with a tinge of blue streak from East to West. As bright as Venus on a clear night I'm not sure of fragmentation, but it reminded me of a sparkler as opposed to a single, solid point of light.

15APR2016 Anna St.Charles, IL, USA 22:14 5-10? East to West traveling burst of light/looked like fire. I was driving South on Kautz Rd, near DuPage Airport. A bright ball, looked like fire; it had a tail of blue behind it. I'm not sure I don't think so, maybe behind it. It really looked like it was on fire. I wondered if it was a piece from a plane I was driving, so no photo, Sorry. I know it was something, not sure what. It was not high in the sky, it came across my vision field from left to right (from East to West) as I was driving South. It was cool, but also a little scary. I wondered if it was part of a plane since we were adjacent to DuPage Airport.

15APR2016 Victoriano Berwyn, IL - 2200 5-10secs East to West facing South, green xeon bright fragment trail, green fireball.

Comment: See: Forget About Global Warming: We're One Step From Extinction!

Fireball

72 new asteroids discovered near Earth, says NASA

Asteroid's Near Earth
© ESAArtist's impression of a Near-Earth Asteroid passing by Earth.
Of the more than 600,000 known asteroids in our Solar System, almost 10 000 are known as Near-Earth Objects (NEOs). These are asteroids or comets whose orbits bring them close to Earth's, and which could potentially collide with us at some point in the future. As such, monitoring these objects is a vital part of NASA's ongoing efforts in space. One such mission is NASA's Near-Earth Object Wide-field Survey Explorer (NEOWISE), which has been active since December 2013.

And now, after two years of study, the information gathered by the mission is being released to the public. This included, most recently, NEOWISE's second year of survey data, which accounted for 72 previously unknown objects that orbit near to our planet. Of these, eight were classified as potentially hazardous asteroids (PHAs), based on their size and how closely their orbits approach Earth.

Originally launched back in 2009 as the Wide-field Survey Explorer (WISE), the spacecraft relied on its infrared telescope to look for previously undetected star clusters and main belt asteroids. In February of 2011, the mission ended and the spacecraft was put into hibernation. As of December 2013, it was reactivated for the purpose of surveying Near-Earth Objects (i.e. comets and asteroids) for the remainder of its service life.

Fireball 2

Blue-green fireball disintegrates over Ukraine and Crimea

dashcam
What is this mysterious blue-green light crossing the sky of Kherson, Ukraine on April 11, 2016?

Two dashcam cameras recorded the amazing sky event at approximately 9:34 pm Moscow time, so 7:34 pm (UTC).

Has anybody witnessed it?

The Lyrid meteor shower hasn't started yet, but the sky is already producing awesome natural fireworks.

A blue-green fireball (turquoise in the video description) was filmed by two dashcam cameras flying in the sky of Crimea and Kherson on April 11, 2016 7:34 pm (UTC).

Fireball 4

Meteorite lands on farm in Nigeria

meteorite
© Vanguard
About 10:45 am on March 12, farmers and hunters in Tse-Agena area of Mbatyula in Takum local government area of Taraba State heard a loud sound from the sky and then an object, suspected to be meteorite stone, landed.

The landing of the white object created panic.

Women and children were asked to vacate the farms immediately while men went to pick the object.

Mr. Shausu Agena, a farmer and an eye witness, said the object landed on a big tree in an empty farm land.

Agena, while speaking to Sunday Vanguard inside his hut in the village, said heavy sound accompanied the falling of the object from the sky.

The clan head of Mbatyula, Zaki Bem Tom, also disclosed that the object landed with a sound that was heard in several communities.

"It was in the morning. People were in their various farms when the object landed within our community. It was very shocking because some of us that witnessed it descending from the sky thought it was the end of the world," Ben Tom said.

"It took our brave men to go closer to the object so that we will know what it was. Initially when the object landed, it was pure white in color. Human faces were reflecting on the object like mirror. Then it turned pure black.

"We have been living in fear because we don't know what will follow".

Fireball

Artificial meteor shower planned for the opening ceremony of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo

2020 Olympics Logo
© Eugene Hoshiko/AP/Press Association ImagesJapan won't host the Games for another four years but planning is well under way.
A man-made meteor shower as the center-piece of the opening ceremony is just one of the ways Tokyo is gearing up to produce the most high-tech Olympic Games to date in 2020.

According to the people at Futurism the budget for the Games is likely to come in at close to $18 billion with the event itself driving a host of new tech builds including automated taxis and that artificial meteor shower.

It will be provided by a Japanese astronomy start-up called Ale who plan to release a micro-satellite into space that will shoot out thousands of little spheres that will burn up and glow on on re-entry like a real meteorite shower.

Another innovation for 2020 is a plan by Panasonic to work on an instant translation device.

While there are 206 countries sending athletes to the Games, the device — which they hope can be worn around the next — will translate Japanese into 10 of the most widely spoken languages.

The same company is also planning an app that allows visitors to scan Japanese signs and translate them instantly.

It's not unusual for Japan to use the Olympics to showcase tech developments.

During the 1964 Games in Tokyo, they introduced the Shinkansen Bullet Trains. By 2020, the next-generation will have a top speed of 600 kph, just a bit faster than Usain Bolt.

Read the other innovations they have planned here.

Fireball 3

Giant fireball 'ten times brighter than the moon' turns night into day in this spectacular footage

Giant fireball ten times brighter than the moon turns night into day
Scientists caught the natural phenomenon that was caused by a piece of meteorite breaking off from a comet and hitting the Earth's atmosphere

Spanish scientists have captured the moment a fireball said to be ten times brighter than the moon hurtled through the sky.

The natural phenomenon was registered by the La Hita Observatory in Toledo in the early hours of this morning.

The incredible sight was caused by a 30kg meteorite, which had broken off from a comet, hitting the Earth's atmosphere.

The spectacle could also reportedly be seen in southern and eastern Spain, including the regions of Castilla-La Mancha, Valencia, Murcia and Andalusia.

Fireball 4

Bright green meteor fireball explodes over Saudi Arabia on April 3, 2016

Saudi Arabia meteor fireball
© Youtube/faheem291 (screen capture)
That's nothing special! Just a bunch of kids playing football under the light of an incredibly bright bolide that exploded over northern Saudi Arabia, April 3, 2016.

Do you have more information about this sighting? Imagine the loud boom in the sky! Woah!

Yesterday, another bright meteor disintegrated over New Zealand.

Source: via VK

Fireball 4

Bright green meteor fireball seen by dozens across New Zealand

New Zealand meteor
© JM Photography/FacebookThe meteor photographed in this marvellous picture by Wellington man Jono Matla was likely large enough to be classed as a fireball.
A meteor lighting up the sky above New Zealand has been seen by star gazers from across the country.On Tuesday night Weatherwatch.co.nz reported it had received dozens of reports of a meteor in the hour from 9pm.

Those who'd sent in reports described the meteor as being green with a white tail and said it appeared to be close to the Earth.They said it was spotted just after 9pm, and was travelling from east to west.Sightings came from Titahi Bay in Wellington - a resident in Pikarere StrD said it was "big, bright, turquoise coloured".

Sarah from Whanganui wrote that she had seen what looked like a bright green, large meteor. "Never seen anything like this, ever." A Manawatu resident said: "It was gorgeous. I've seen shooting stars before high up in the sky, but this was a granddaddy one."

In Mt Roskill, Auckland, it was mistaken for fireworks. "But this thing was no fireworks, the green cluster of light, was the size of a basket ball, heading horizontally on a downward slope across the sky."