Fireballs
S

Meteor

Meteor fireball spotted in skies over Massena, New York

Massena fireball
© 7 News WWNY
A 7 News viewer caught what might have been a meteor falling from the sky over Massena.

The pictures were taken by Sara Lytle after 4 p.m. near the St. Lawrence Centre Mall.

Her fiance, Justin Smith, says she spotted the fast-moving object by BJ's Wholesale Club and followed it all the way to Alcoa Park.

Comment: Just two days before, a fiery meteor fireball blazed across SE Canada and NE United States

Fireball 4

Fiery meteor fireball blazed across SE Canada and NE United States

Montreal Fireball
© Neil Zeller PhotographyMeteors like this one, captured last year by photographer Neil Zeller, can be seen about every 15 minutes on any given night.
I was outside, enjoying a nice dinner and drink on a Montreal rooftop Tuesday evening when I saw it - a large fiery ball that blazed across the night sky. Then, as fast as it had appeared it was gone.

The entire incident, which occurred at around 9:30 p.m. ET, lasted all of five seconds, but the fear and paranoia set in for the rest of the night.

The end is near.

Social media

I took to the web to understand what had just happened. I was not prepared to rule out the possibility of alien invasion quite yet and neither were some in the Twitterverse.

Several people turned to Twitter to ask what the ball was.

Comment: The American Meteor Society (AMS) received over 150 reports (event 2083-2016) about a fireball seen over SE Canada and NE United States on Wednesday, June 15th 2016 around 01:29 UT.

meteor fireball AMS event 2083-2016
© American Meteor Society (screen capture)

Fireball 2

Bright meteor fireball seen in Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania

Fireball - stock image
Stock image
This was likely seen in several other nearby states. updates.

Please help get the word about this event so that we might recover security camera video or cell phone captures.

If you have a video or still image please send to me @ drtanuki@gmail.com ; Thank you!

Sighting Reports

10JUN2016 Brian Leland, NC 22:02, EDT,pm 2-3 seconds North east not sure of direction I was facing blue, green Venus no, left trail behind it the color caught my attn and the angle which it fell from the sky

10JUN2016 Steve Williams wrote-"Myself and several friends were attending an outdoor party when we all noticed a bright fireball speeding through that sky. It appeared to be a meteor or fireball. I've never seen anything like it before. It was flying over Glen Allen, VA 23059 at approximately 9:30 pm EST."

10JUN2016 Michael Pearson Charlotte CH, VA 2200 EDT 8 sec Looking east, falling diagonal right to left. Bright blue flashes Bright enough to light up the sky. Very bright Unknown Very amazing. Most spectacular meteorite I've ever seen. Awesome enough for me to look up meteorite sightings.

Comment: To learn more about our increasing fireball activity, including its cause, effects, and role in human history, read Earth Changes and the Human-Cosmic Connection.

See also:

Fireball

Impact over Northern Ireland: Hoax or government cover-up?

Kinawley, Northern Ireland
© Unknown
On February 13th, 2001, a strange airplane crash was observed in the Southwest corner of Northern Ireland, less than a mile away from the border with the Republic of Ireland. There was no airplane, but despite credible witnesses of what may have been an impact event, the story was quickly squashed as a genuine mistake, and then as a hoax. The manner in which this story was squashed with slashing diminutives begs the question: If this is indeed a cover-up, then why?
BBC News, February 13, 2001
Aircraft crashes on mountain

Police in Northern Ireland are investigating reports that a light aircraft has crashed in County Fermanagh.

It is understood that a plane came down at Benaughlin Mountain near Kinawley shortly after 1800 GMT.

It is believed helicopters are being used in the rescue effort.
One day later the same site had the following report:
Tuesday, 13 February, 2001, 20:56 GMT, BBC News
Mystery surrounds 'plane crash' reports

Mystery surrounds the source of flames and smoke in the sky over County Fermanagh which has sparked a major search operation.

farm house
© Unknown
About 12 people described seeing flames and smoke on the side of the Benaughlin Mountain, near Kinawley, on Tuesday night.

Paul McCaffrey, who raised the alarm with a friend, is convinced he saw something in the sky with smoke billowing from it.

"I saw a dot at the front and a black trail of smoke leading down at an angle towards the mountain," he said.

A British Army helicopter using heat sensitive equipment also flew over the area.

But following more than three hours of extensive searches, nothing was found.

Comment: The author seemed to be having something of a prophetic moment. In the fifteen years that have passed since this article was written, the number of fireballs and meteorites has continuously increased at an exponential rate. It's only a matter of time before one does a serious amount of damage that can't be covered up or explained away.

We wait and watch.

Fireball 5

Bright meteor fireball streaks over Sao Paulo, Brazil

Meteor fireball over Sao Paulo, Brazil
© YouTube/Exoss Citizen Science (screen capture)
A fireball visual reported over Sao Paulo on fireballs.imo.net, filmed by Exoss Citizen Science, brazilian meteor monitoring.

Fireball 5

France expands 'FRIPON' meteor all-sky camera network

meteor france
Still from video footage of a meteor fireball that exploded over the French Alps in February this year
Tracking space rocks that reach Earth will give insight into the early Solar System

Scientists in France have launched an unprecedented campaign to catch shooting stars, an effort that will rely on thousands of volunteers to comb the ground for bits of space rock.

The programme already includes 68 cameras that scan the skies for meteors, which are seen when bits of asteroid, comet or other planetary material streak through Earth's atmosphere. By the end of this year, some 100 cameras will blanket France, organizers say. That would make it one of the biggest and densest meteor-spotting networks in the world.

"If tomorrow a meteorite falls in France, we will be able to know where it comes from and roughly where it has landed," says Jérémie Vaubaillon, an astronomer at the Paris Observatory and one of organizers of the system. Dubbed the Fireball Recovery and InterPlanetary Observation Network, or FRIPON, it was officially inaugurated on 28 May.

Comment: Note how oblivious they are to the possibility that rates of meteorite discoveries rise and fall with rates of meteor debris hitting the atmosphere.

Note also that they're focused on finding actual meteorites, not on using the all-sky network for watching the skies and tracking the increase in meteor fireballs.

But have they even noticed that??

Fireball 5

Meteor fireball captured on dash cam over Sydney, Australia

meteor over Sydney
© YouTube/CLEARSKIESTV (screen capture)
Whilst driving through heavy traffic towards Sylvania on my way to the Vivid Light Festival, I spotted this meteor fireball blazing across the skies of Sydney.

The time was 5:22pm on Friday 10th June 2016.

Captured on dash cam, this meteor must have been fairly large to be this easily visible while there was still plenty of light in the sky from the setting sun and the light pollution from a busy area of Sydney.

Fireball 4

Meteor lights up skies over western Washington

Meteor over Everett
© Screen Capture YoutubeA screen grab off a YouTube video posted by Darren Clayton showing a meteor streak over the skies of Everett on June 10, 2016.
Several residents of the Puget Sound region reported a bright flash in the sky around 4:30 a.m. and a dashcam video shows it was an apparent meteor burning up in the atmosphere. Darren Clayton was on his way to work around 4:30 a.m. coming from Lake Stevens heading toward the U.S. 2 Trestle.

You can see the fireball on the video around the :50 mark.

KOMO News received several other reports of the flash stretching from Snohomish through Pierce County. There are no reports the meteor made it through the atmosphere.

Fireball

Meteor fireball lights up night sky over Klickitat County, Washington

Fireball
A fiery meteor-bright enough to be classified as a fireball-came crashing into the atmosphere over Goldendale on June 3, only a day after a similar fireball lit up the sky near Phoenix, Ariz.

Seventeen reports of sighting of the meteor came from Washington and Oregon residents posted on the American Meteor Society's webpage. The fireball, which is a meteor that is brighter than the planet Venus, blazed across the sky from west to east for over four seconds, according to many reports. The fireball was yellow and orange in color, and developed a green ionization trail as it entered the earth's atmosphere. Unfortunately, the lack of video capture of the event has yielded minimal publicity. Apparently the exploding Arizona asteroid was given more light.

Camera

Meteor fireball streaks over central Poland (PHOTO)

Poland fireball
© PFN72 Krzysztof PolakMeteor fireball over central Poland, 7 June 2016
(Translated by Sott.net)

According to the Polish Fireball Network (PKIM), a very bright meteor fireball brightened the sky over central Poland at 10:47pm on Tuesday night.

According to preliminary data, the event started at the altitude of 84 km and finished 43 km above the ground. Initial speed was 18 km/s. After 2.38 seconds, the fireball burned out and was no longer visible.

Comment: Meteor fireball events over Poland in the last few years:

1 Dec 2015 - Meteor fireball filmed over Poland
1 Nov 2015 - Fireball over Poland captured on video
9 Dec 2014 - Bright green fireball breaks up over southern Poland
20 June 2013 - Huge green fireball with red tail blazes over central Poland
18 Apr 2013 - A very bright fireball over southern Poland
11 Mar 2013 - Second fireball blazes over Poland in four days
4 Mar 2013 - Bright green fireball explodes over Poland, resulting in shockwave and 'mighty roar'
29 Nov 2012 - Spectacular blue-green fireball fragments over Hungary and Poland
19 Oct 2012 - Spectacular fireball lights up night sky over Poland
19 July 2011 - Bright fireball over Poland