Fireballs
S

Meteor

Sonic boom, flash of light caught on home security camera in Cleveland, Ohio

Fireball over OH
© YouTube/ctalj3
On March 28, 2018, YouTube user 'ctalj3' recorded a 'flash and boom' on her home security camera. She reports that the boom rattled her whole neighborhood and reported the event to American Meteor Society (AMS Event 1245-2018).

Bizarro Earth

Mystery solved? Exploding Yamal peninsula craters linked to formation of methane pockets as a result of exploitation of natural gas resources

Craters Russia
© Sputnik/ Press-servisThe majority of scientists have argued that the likely cause of the craters is underground methane explosions.

The unusual natural phenomenon has sparked numerous speculations about the reasons behind it, with one of the ideas even suggesting that this was the result of testing weapons.

Reports of a second explosion of huge craters on the Yamal peninsula in Russia, appeared last week causing renewed discussions about its causes.

Professor from the Moscow Institute of Oil and Gas Vasily Bogoyavlensky suggests that the phenomenon could have occurred amid human exploitation of natural gas resources, which, in turn, resulted in the formation of unstable methane pockets in the permafrost.

The gas gathers under the ice and then the pockets explode, he argued.

Comment:
In 2014 a mysterious crater-hole was discovered in the Yamal peninsular, northwest Siberia, Russia. It was 'probably caused by methane released as permafrost thawed' according to researchers, and the result of 'internal forces not seen in 8,000 years'. Since then new information has come to light, with witnesses reporting an 'explosion' and a 'glow in the sky' from 100 km away.

This would indicate an extremely powerful explosion occurred from below to form this 'crater-hole', in a region known in the local Nenets language as the 'end of the world'. The recent discovery by scientists of methane 'bubbles' on the remote Belyy Island in the Kara Sea off the Yamal Peninsula coastline may be another alarming sign of increased activity in the depths.
See also:

Fireball

Sky-watcher videotapes big, bright and loud meteor fireball in NE Alberta, Canada

fireball aurora borealis
Paul Smith was nodding off in his vehicle at 2 a.m. on March 19 while watching and taking photos of the aurora borealis when he awoke to a bright light.

The 39-year-old thought he was dreaming — but he was able to grab his camera and point it in the right direction.

"I was kind of tired, so what surprised me was that I had the wherewithal to kind of think to turn it on," Smith said Friday.

What he captured on video at his spot near Anzac, Alta. was what Smith thinks was a meteor.

"The biggest, brightest thing I've ever seen," he said.

In the video, the fireball can be seen moving through the sky, bright green in colour, before flashing bright white and orange in succession before flaming out. Smith said he could hear a bang while it flamed out.

Meteor

Mysterious light, loud boom startles residents in San Jose, California

Fireball over San Jose, CA
© NBC
A mysterious light in the sky and a loud boom rattled some South Bay neighborhoods late Sunday night.

Hundreds of people who live near Branham High School in South San Jose reported on the community network Nextdoor hearing it Sunday just before midnight.

"You can see this is coming from way over on this side," Dale Johnson said while viewing video of the mystery light. The video posted to a South San Jose Nextdoor page shows a small light travel across the sky for about a minute. Then there's a flash and boom.

"Yeah that doesn't do it justice at all," Johnson said of the audio.

Cloud Lightning

Adapt 2030 Ice Age Report: Elements of the Grand Solar Minimum easily explained

deep snow
A graphic to describe all of the changes we as a planetary civilization will see unfold over the next 7 years culminating in reduced global crop production. We collectively need to start the conversation so we can begin to find solutions. What to expect: 1. Declining Solar Output 2. Weakening Magnetosphere 3.Out of season storms 4. Massive rain events, rivers from the sky 5.Huge and ever increasing size of hailstones 6. Increased meteor sightings and rattling explosions 7. Jet Streams wandering far out of their normal zones 8. Increases in cosmic rays which will trigger more eruptions and create thicker cloud layers 9. REDUCTION IN GLOBAL GRAIN YIELDS

Fireball 2

Dash cam captures meteor fireball's flight across Colorado sky

pic dash
An early morning driver on a Colorado road captured video of a fireball streaking across the sky near the U.S. Air Force Academy.

The video, recorded about 5:20 a.m. Saturday on Interstate 25 in Gleneagle, shows a bright flash of light appear to fall toward the earth.

The filmer said they suspected the object was a meteorite.

"I was driving my truck north on I-25 in Colorado when I saw this flash from what I presume is a meteorite. It was 5:20 a.m. local time just past the exit for the USAF Academy," the filmer wrote.

The American Meteor Society noted multiple fireball reports in Colorado at the time of the video.

Fireball 4

White ball with green halo over France

green fireball
© Yang Sutie
question asked on 22-03-2018 by Kodiak, de Gujan mestras

Good evening. This evening Wednesday 21st March around midnight 15, I saw a white ball with a green halo falling vertically above my neighbour's house in Gujan Mestras in Gironde. It didn't look like a shooting star that I've seen several times. Thank you for your explanations

House

Mysterious rumble shakes homes in San Diego, California

Mystery boom in San Diego, CA
© NBC News
Several residents in San Diego County reported witnessing a strong rumble that shook their homes Monday morning.

NBC 7 first heard calls from locals wondering what it could be just after 9 a.m. Other San Diego County residents have written on the NBC 7 Facebook page that they also noticed the strange occurrence.

"My front door started rattling with no discernible wind," commented Pilar Shepard. "I thought maybe we'd had a small earthquake."

Info

Scholz's star disturbed prehistory solar system comets

Scholz's Star
© José A. Peñas/SINCAt a time when modern humans were beginning to leave Africa and the Neanderthals were living on our planet, Scholz's star approached less than a light-year.
About 70,000 years ago, during human occupation of the planet, a small, reddish star approached our solar system and gravitationally disturbed comets and asteroids. Astronomers from the Complutense University of Madrid and the University of Cambridge have verified that the movement of some of these objects is still marked by that stellar encounter.

At a time when modern humans were beginning to leave Africa and the Neanderthals still thrived, Scholz's star-named after the German astronomer who discovered it-approached less than a light-year from the sun. Today, it is almost 20 light-years away, but 70,000 years ago, it entered the Oort cloud, a reservoir of trans-Neptunian objects located at the confines of the solar system.

This discovery was made public in 2015 by a team of astronomers led by Professor Eric Mamajek of the University of Rochester (USA). The details of that stellar flyby, the closest documented so far, were presented in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Now, two astronomers from the Complutense University of Madrid, the brothers Carlos and Raúl de la Fuente Marcos, together with the researcher Sverre J. Aarseth of the University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), have analyzed for the first time nearly 340 solar system objects with hyperbolic orbits (very open V-shaped, rather than elliptical) They have concluded that the trajectories of some of these were influenced by the passage of Scholz's star.

Comet 2

New Comet: C/2018 E1 (ATLAS)

CBET nr. 4494, issued on 2018, March 16, announces the discovery of an apparently asteroidal object (magnitude ~17) in the course of the "Asteroid Terrestrial-impact Last Alert System" (ATLAS) search program on CCD images obtained with a 0.5-m f/2 Schmidt reflector at Haleakala, Hawaii. Posted on the Minor Planet Center's PCCP webpage, it has been reported as showing cometary activity by CCD astrometrists elsewhere. The new comet has been designated C/2018 E1 (ATLAS).

I performed follow-up measurements of this object, while it was still on the PCCP webpage. Stacking of 5 unfiltered exposures, 60 seconds each, obtained remotely on 2018, March 12.4 from Q62 (iTelescope network) through a 0.70-m f/6.6 reflector + CCD, shows that this object is a comet with a diffuse coma about 5 arcsec in diameter. The FWHM of this object was measured about 20% wider than that of nearby field stars of similar brightness.

My confirmation image (click on it for a bigger version)
Comet C/2018 E1 Atlas
© Remanzacco Blogspot
"Pre-discovery" Panstarrs observations (2015 & 2016) were identified by R. Weryk. M.P.E.C. 2018-F10 assigns the following elliptical orbital elements to comet C/2018 E1: T 2018 Apr. 17.3; e= 0.95; Peri. = 299.47; q = 2.70; Incl.= 72.48