Fireballs
S

Meteor

'Loud boom' heard in central North Carolina

Mystery boom in central NC
© WGHP
Residents living along a rural road in Trinity were alarmed by a mysterious noise and movement they say happened late Monday night.

"It was a very loud boom," Dianne Williams said.

Williams was alarmed to hear such a loud noise, followed by shaking. She said it was scary for her dogs too.

"I heard bang, bang, in the laundry room, so I opened the door where we keep our pots and pans and they were on the floor!" Williams said.

But she wasn't the only person along the road to hear the noise and feel the movement in the ground.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball caught on home surveillance camera in Las Vegas, Nevada

Fireball over Las Vegas
© KSNV
A mysterious light in the sky was caught on home surveillance cameras in the southwest valley.

Was the fiery streak a meteor? A satellite?

A doorbell camera from a Rhodes Ranch home caught a streak of light flying across the sky Tuesday morning just after 4 a.m.

Southwest resident Shannon Graham said, "Amazing. I haven't seen anything like that. It's pretty cool to see that."

Shannon Graham lives in the area. Graham says the video of the mysterious streak brings back memories as a child looking up at the sky during meteor showers.

"They are not as uncommon as you think. I remember growing up. We would go outside and put lawn chairs out and watch the meteor showers", she says.

Fireball

Bright meteor fireball filmed streaking through Puerto Rico skies

fireball puerto
© Frankie LucenaScreen shot of the fireball from Franke Lucena's facebook
Skywatcher Franke Lucena filmed a fireball blazing through the night skies of Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico, at 04:01 local time on Tuesday 9th April. According to reports, the event lasted for about 5 seconds before burning up in the atmosphere.

Also that evening there have been 53 reports to the American Meteor Society (AMS) of a fireball sighted from the US, so there may be another sighting and more footage to come.

If you would like to report a sighting, you can do so with the AMS here.

Comment: The uptick in fireball sightings continues apace:

Fireball 4

Very bright meteor fireball fragments over Krasnoyarsk, Russia - Third such event in four months

bolide is seen in sky over Krasnoyarsk
© The Siberian TimesBusy receiving space wanderes, this time a bolide is seen in sky over Krasnoyarsk.
Bright and noisy with a long, sparkling green and yellow tail, it was filmed by multiple observers in Krasnoyarsk region.

The phenomenon caused fear on the ground.

'I panicked as it sounded and looked like a plane on fire, I got really scared of the noise and shine it created', said a local woman from Krasnoyarsk, the large industrial city.

'I pulled a phone out of a pocket, but it flew across the sky so fast that I only caught a long white trace it left.'

Some residents said the meteor was blindingly bright, akin to the light and sparks created during intense welding work.

It split into several parts before disappearing in the sky somewhere over Irkutsk region, east of Krasnoyarsk.

The local ministry of emergencies confirmed it registered a meteor, and said that it didn't pose a threat to people or infrastructure.

It is the third major meteor or meteorite event in four months.

Fireball 2

Meteor fireball over New Mexico

Fireball - stock image
Stock image
You can expect meteor activity to increase in the coming months, as we re-enter a time of year for major meteor showers. Here's what appears to be a random meteor, but a very bright one!

Have you seen a bright fireball? Report it to the American Meteor Society (AMS).

Here's Mike's report to the AMS.

Fireball 2

Hundreds report daytime meteor fireball over Southeast US

Meteor fireball over Southeast US on April 4, 2019.
© A. McCullough, AMSMeteor fireball over Southeast US on April 4, 2019.
The American Meteor Society (AMS) received 434 reports about a meteor fireball seen over Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia on Thursday, April 4th 2019 around 10:50 UT.

AMS received 9 videos and 7 photos of the event.

Fireball 5

Meteor fireball recorded over Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo, Brazil

Brazil meteor fireball
© AMS/E. Santiago
The American Meteor Society (AMS) received 8 reports about a meteor fireball seen over Minas Gerais and São Paulo on Wednesday, April 3rd 2019 around 06:24 UT.

The event was recorded by Exoss monitoring stations and a video uploaded to the AMS website.

Fireball 5

Streaking meteor fireball caught on dash-cam over Wisconsin

Meteor over Kenosha
© Screen Capture Youtube
A meteor entering the earth's atmosphere lit up the sky early Wednesday around 2 a.m.

For one motorist driving west of Kenosha, it appeared that the streaking fireball had crashed near the Strawberry Creek club house and housing development. His 911 call triggered a response from both the Kenosha and Bristol fire departments.

Pleasant Prairie Police. dashcam video is below

Fireball 4

Large green meteor fireball captured blazing through Florida night sky

Florida meteor fireball
© YouTube / EVE Pro Guides - EVE Online PVP and ISK Guides
A large green meteor was spotted blazing through the night sky in northern Florida Saturday night, and several dashboard cameras managed to capture the fireball in action.

The bright teardrop-shaped meteor fell at about 11:55pm EST and eyewitnesses reported a five to six second descent, followed by a bright flash that lit up the sky like a firework.

Comment: Last week another streaking fireball, believed to be meteorite, was spotted over Gadsden County, Florida.

Fireball 4

Green meteor fireball captured by amateur photographer over Tasmania

Meteor over Tasmania
© Leoni williamsResidents in Tasmania's south captured the fast flash of light on camera.
They were waiting for the Aurora Australis, but amateur photographers were left guessing after seeing a bright green flash light up the Tasmanian sky.

Amateur photographer Leoni Williams captured a shot of the green streak about 9:30pm on Thursday by "accident".

Overlooking Pipe Clay Lagoon, toward Clifton Beach in southern Tasmania, Ms Williams had her camera facing south in anticipation of an Aurora.

"I was very lucky to capture this bright green object before it disappeared over the horizon," Ms Williams said.

"I'm still not sure what it was. I didn't actually see it with the naked eye as I wasn't watching. I had just set the camera on 30 seconds and pushed the shutter and turned back to my phone.
"I would imagine it was pretty quick. I nearly missed it because it was at the end of the exposure."
Photo sparked social media debate

Ms Williams took to social media to try and find out what she'd captured on camera.

Opinions varied, with some thinking it was a shooting star, a fallen satellite or even a UFO.

Spotted from the Huon Valley to Dodges Ferry, other photos began popping up on social media.

Eventually, it was shared on social media page Australian Meteor Reports.

"It's definitely a meteor," page administrator David Finlay said.
"That flash that's been captured is a very, very bright meteor - it's what we'd call a 'fireball'. It probably lit up the countryside."
Mr Finlay - a former industrial chemist who has been studying astronomy from an very early age - said the flash was created by a "small rock from space, blazing through the atmosphere, creating friction with the atmosphere".

"It glows and ionises gas - that's what you see as this fireball blazing through the sky.

"If it actually survives atmospheric entry and lands as a rock on land, that's what we call a meteorite - only if it makes it to the ground."