Sinkholes
S

Hardhat

Sinkhole swallows chunk of northeast Houston street

© KHOUA 15 foot wide sinkhole opened up in east Houston on Tuesday afternoon. The sinkhole is located at 3600 Market Street, and it was big enough for a car to fall in.
Crews are working quickly to fill a large sinkhole in northeast Houston.

The sinkhole swallowed part of Market Street at Capron, not far from I-10.

It's looking to be a long night ahead in the Fifth Ward as crews work to make these repairs. They've got a large area taped off.

The city says the sinkhole was caused by a water main break.

Neighbors say they started calling Tuesday morning. Some noticed the dip several days ago and grew concerned a car would lose control. The final straw came Tuesday afternoon when a METRO bus hit the hole and it caved in.

Comment: The city says the sinkhole was caused by a water main break, but these so-called water main breaks have been quite a frequent occurrence around the world lately...

Sinkholes - A Sign of the Times?

Arrow Down

Another sinkhole opens in Philadelphia, exposes green fluorescent water under city!

© MSN
You probably don't think about what's under the street much, but you might start to now. A sinkhole opened up in the middle of a Philadelphia street, and it was apparently full of this green ... stuff. What does this mean? Are secret tunnels below the streets pumping radioactive goo across the country for some nefarious purpose? No. As the Redditor who took this photo learned, this is actually a fluorescent dye. Cities add it to water in sinkholes to see where they go, and hopefully fix the problem that causes it. Still, nearby pizza restaurants should be on the lookout for a pack of giant talking turtles. Just in case. [Source]

Arrow Down

Massive sinkhole swallows entire intersection in Philadelphia!

Four families have not been able to return to their homes due to a giant sink hole caused by a water main break in South Philadelphia. It's at the middle of the intersection at 21st and Bainbridge. Crews say the sink hole is 15-feet deep.

"It's enormous," said flooding victim Marisa Block. "I heard sink hole and I was thinking something like three or four feet, nothing that big. It's the entire intersection!"

The 96-year-old, 48-inch transmission main broke at 9 p.m Sunday, according to a spokeswoman for the Philadelphia Water Department.

Crews worked through the night, where water flowed up to three feet high in some spots, as you can see in this NBC10 viewer photo.

On Monday, there was a gas leak at the same location, but authorities say it was quickly fixed.

© NBC

Colosseum

Another sinkhole opens in Philadelphia, swallows car!

A sinkhole swallowed up the front end of a car on a street in Philadelphia's Hunting Park section early Tuesday morning.

The nose of the Pontiac Bonneville was sinking down below the street - its rear raised in the air. That was the sight neighbors were met with early this morning on the 3600 block of Marvine Street in Hunting Park.

Car owner Fran Leftenant woke up to an officer knocking on her door.

"I thought I had two missing tires, but it wasn't the case. My car was sinking," said Leftenant. "Right now I'm just sick."

She and other residents watched as the hole got deeper, and the lean on the car greater. A tow truck was called.

Comment: Remember this from 4 years ago?

Or what about this one from last month?

Or this one from last week!

Bizarro Earth

Giant sinkhole in Shaanxi, China swallows cement truck

A sinkhole in Xian, Shaanxi, on Saturday

A cement truck proved to be too much for a street section on Xian's outskirts on Saturday, causing a seven-metre-deep sinkhole and raising questions over construction safety in China.

In the early morning, a cement truck was swallowed by a sinkhole as it was on its way to its daytime deployment in northern China's Shaanxi province. No one was injured, and the driver was able to escape the vehicle. It took urban authorities until 10pm to remove the truck from the site.

Red Flag

Warning after cliff fall at Dorset beach near where woman died

Coastguards have issued a warning to holidaymakers after a cliff fall at a "vulnerable" section of coast in Dorset.

The landslip took place at West Bay, near the area where holidaymaker Charlotte Blackman, 22, died when a cliff collapsed and crushed her last summer.

© Dorset County CouncilThe cliff fall in West Dorset
Heavy rainfall at the end of last week is thought to have made the land unstable and crumbly, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said.

No-one was injured in the landslip, which happened near Freshwater Beach Holiday Park on Friday and has left the cliff with an overhang.

Map

Widening sinkhole threatens to swallow entire apartment complex in Cobb County, Georgia

A sinkhole under the Ivy Ridge Apartments in Cobb County is still growing this week and residents said they may never be able to live in their apartments again.

Bizarro Earth

Massive sinkhole in Robbinsdale, Minnesota draws crowds

Some big hole: An aerial view several days after the water main break in the heart of Robbinsdale.
A break in neighboring cities' water main created a 20-foot hole and closed the city's busiest intersection for three weeks.

On the morning of June 22, the bottom of a 36-inch water main in the heart of Robbinsdale burst, peeling back several feet of concrete-coated steel pipe like a can of sardines.

Over the next 40 minutes, an estimated 600,000 gallons of water blasted downward, creating a hole 20 feet deep at the city's busiest intersection.

"This is your worst nightmare," said Crystal City Engineer Tom Mathisen, who supervised the repairs. "It's always kind of hair-pulling, but yet, because we do this kind of stuff all of the time, there's a process to do it."

The complete repair and reconstruction of the giant Robbinsdale Sinkhole was finished in three weeks, an impressive feat considering the magnitude and complexity of the damage. Water gushing from the broken water main bored down 10 feet and destroyed a sanitary sewer line, which filled with sand and dirt. Then water, dirt and debris churned upward, taking out a storm sewer pipe that sat less than a foot above the water main.

The water continued to drive toward the surface, and eventually popped off several manhole covers, flooding the intersection of 42nd Avenue (County Rd. 9) and Bottineau Boulevard (Hwy. 81) around 10 a.m. In a stroke of luck, a nearby gas line was unscathed and no one was injured.

"I certainly have to commend the [various public works departments] for how quickly they turned the water off ... and then repaired it," said Robbinsdale Mayor Regan Murphy. "It was an amazing response - I mean, it was a 20-foot hole, and they had [Hwy. 81] open in two weeks,"

The repairs were especially tricky because the water main takes two slight turns near the break, one at a 45-degree angle and one at a 12-degree angle. The bends had to be replaced with custom piping, which was trucked in overnight from Dayton, Ohio.

"Thirty-six-inch ductile iron pipe is not something you just keep on your shelf," said Mathisen.

There was speculation that the blowout was related to the severe weather that ripped through the Twin Cities June 21-22, but city officials say that the break was probably a result of a leak that slowly built for years. Mathison pointed out clusters of pinholes around the spot where the 50-year-old pipe burst as evidence of it weakening over time.

Comment: Sinkholes are becoming a worldwide phenomenon and cities are quick to blame old pipes and inclement weather. However, it is odd that all these pipes are somehow bursting at the same time. It appears that the surface of the earth is literally giving way:

Bizarro Earth

Sinkholes a living nightmare in Shangdong,China

Huge cracks appeared on an abandoned elementary school of Xiao Guoqiang's village. In 2005, the local government transferred the entire population of this village of more than 3,000 farmers to a nearby town.
Four months after he built a new, two-story brick house in his village in northern China's Shandong Province, Xiao Guoqiang was alarmed to find a huge crack on the living room wall.

Having seen homes in neighboring villages sink, Xiao realized his long-held fears were coming true.

"I knew the day was coming, but I didn't expect it to happen so soon," said Xiao, who has been forced to move from the land -- on which four generations of his family have lived -- as a consequence.

Xiao's hometown, Jining, is one of China's "coal cities," whose mineral wealth helps light up the night skies of the world's most energy-hungry country. The land here is honeycombed with coal mines, which can form massive sinkholes that leave thousands of homes uninhabitable every year.

Comment: China has been having an epidemic of sinkholes; not all of them are caused by mining. In fact the sinkhole phenomenon is worldwide:
Sinkhole swallows girl in China
Shocking video captures moment man is swallowed by 52-foot deep sinkhole in China
China Sinkhole Forces 844 To Evacuate
Enormous sinkhole swallows buildings in Guangzhou, China
Huge sinkhole swallows and kills FIVE factory workers in Shenzhen, China

Bizarro Earth

Rain uncovers mystery hole in Albuquerque backyard

Albuquerque - Friday's heavy downpour created a mystery in an Albuquerque backyard. After a lot of rain fell in a short time, the earth opened up revealing a deep underground pit at the home of Alex Sanouvon.

"I've been here 25 years and I have never seen anything like that," said Sanouvon. "Then suddenly, I just hear this collapse and all of the water rushed down and I came to look at it, and there was that hole." Sanouvon said.

The hole is a little less than 10 feet deep and about 3 ½ feet wide. Cinder blocks show the hole was built by someone and a large pipe sits at the bottom.

Sanouvon said when he moved in to the house decades ago, the hole wasn't mentioned..