Sinkholes
S

Bizarro Earth

Taylor County man falls in what he believes is a sinkhole

taylor sinkhole

Paul Harmon was cutting some limbs of a tree..with a chainsaw, when he suddenly felt himself falling.

"The next thing I knew I was in the ground," said the Lebanon Rd. resident.

The ground beneath him was gone, and he was instantly eye level with grass.

"I was hanging. I wasn't on my feet, I was hanging like this, and I had recently seen stories in Florida about sinkholes and was thinking this is what is happening to me," he said.

He didn't know how deep the hole was or how much further he could fall.

Arrow Down

Multiple sinkholes open up in Battery Park City, New York

© BatteryPark.tv
After Hurricane Sandy, a sinkhole opened up on the esplanade in South Cove. Now, a sinkhole has formed in the lawn of Rockefeller Park. It is unknown whether the flood waters caused them.

Bizarro Earth

50 feet wide and growing: Sinkhole shuts down intersection in Springfield, Missouri

A sudden sinkhole swallowed part of a Springfield road. City Utilities crews discovered the sinkhole Monday and they say it's the biggest they've seen in Springfield.

The crews found the sinkhole as they were installing water mains near Walnut Lawn and Cox to boost water pressure to customers. During a test of the main, the massive sinkhole opened up, closing part of Walnut Lawn.

At one point, crews estimate the sinkhole is 50 feet wide and at least 25 feet deep. Because of its size, CU says it will take several days to stabilize it and fill it.

Bizarro Earth

Louisiana sinkhole swallows more trees

Louisiana sinkhole
© WAFBLouisiana sinkhole
Several more trees fell into the Bayou Corne sinkhole Monday, suspending work at the site.

Officials set sinkhole activity at code three, the highest alert level. No work will be allowed on the sinkhole or within containment berms, though no elevated levels of seismic activity have been detected since last weeks' slough-in.

Monday's sinking occurred along the eastern edge of the sinkhole and is believed to be related to trees sinking in the sinkhole last week.

Bizarro Earth

Huge sinkhole rips apart roadway in Carrollton, Michigan

flooding sinkhole
© n/aNot actual flooding
WNEM has learned that officials were on the scene of a water main break in the Saginaw County community of Carrollton Township.

The incident happened on Cadillac Place, which is four blocks east of North Michigan Avenue, near the intersection of Schust Road.

TV5 Reporter Gino Vicci says that half of the roadway has been washed away. It is not known if it is possible to navigate Cadillac Place at this time.

A sinkhole that was nearly four feet wide and 10 feet deep popped open during the eruption.

Carrollton Township officials say that new water meters were activated Monday. It's likely excess air in the lines caused at least four water mains to burst.

Bizarro Earth

Sinkhole shuts down Holyoke, Massachusetts intersection

Sinkhole
© Greg Saulmon/The RepublicanThe sinkhole on Essex Street, near the Elm Street intersection in Holyoke, awaits repair.
The Department of Public Works will try to repair a sinkhole that opened just a few hours ago in the middle of an intersection.

Police closed off the intersection of Elm and Essex Streets in Holyoke at around 11:15 p.m. Monday.

No injuries or car accidents were reported.

Holyoke Police Lt. Isaias Cruz told 22News the sinkhole is 20 feet wide and 5 feet deep.

It's not clear yet what caused it.

Attention

Another sinkhole opens up INSIDE a Florida home!

A family spent Sunday night with a neighbor after a possible sinkhole opened up in the middle of their Orange County home.

It happened on Harbor Lake Drive.

The 1,200-square-foot home was built in 2001 and is currently a rental property, according to the Orange County Appraiser's Office.

The renters said they heard what sounded like firecrackers inside the home around 7 p.m. As it turns out, it was the sound of tiles popping.

Neighbors said the renters were told the home is no longer safe.

Bizarro Earth

Crews search for cause of I-80 sink hole

Reno, Nevada -- A sink hole discovered in the median of Interstate 80 west of Reno forced the temporary closure of two travel lanes in both directions.

The California Department of Transportation says the sink hole is located about a half mile west of Donner Pass Road in Truckee. The Reno Gazette-Journal reports all lanes were open Friday afternoon after crews finished filling it.

The cause of the sink hole is still unknown, but Caltrans spokeswoman Rochelle Jenkins says it was probably created by water moving underground near the highway.

The sink hole had encroached upon the fast lanes of both westbound and eastbound traffic, but so far there's no sign of stress or cracking of the highway that is the main route between Northern California and Nevada. Traffic in both directions had been restricted to one lane through the area earlier Friday.

Source: Reno Gazette-Journal

Arrow Down

Incredible moment Louisiana sinkhole swallows 40ft high trees in a swamp

• Sinkhole opened up last August after locals noticed gas bubbling on the surface and a strong smell of diesel
  • It is now at least 28 acres, the size of around 21 football fields, and is continuing to grow
This is the incredible moment a sinkhole swallows up a large cluster of 40ft high trees in one big gulp.

Footage taken in a Louisiana swamp, shows the huge trees leaning slightly before plunging below the surface in a matter of seconds.

The sinkhole near Bayou Corne in Assumption Parish first opened up last August after locals noticed gas bubbling on the surface and a strong smell of diesel.

Arrow Down

Part of road collapses in Kersaw County, South Carolina

kersaw sinkhole
Road crews are trying to fix a portion of road that collapsed in Kershaw County.

The hole is along the edge of Wildwood Lane, which is near Lugoff-Elgin High School.

Crews say water along the road caused a tree on the side of the road to sink in, taking a portion of the roadway with it.

Traffic is being diverted in the area. Crews says it could take days to repair the road.