Sinkholes
S

Binoculars

Best of the Web: Signs of change in the last week of September 2013

The events around the world have been unprecedented over the last few weeks. Some of the most dramatic and unbelievable footage I've ever seen from events that took place in the past week or so. Please use these videos for awareness to these ongoing extremes that seem to be getting worse each week. Prepare for disasters in your area! You're no different than others that are already dealing with them and most were not ready...

In just a couple of weeks we saw a devastating typhoon hit Japan and China, a 'one-in-one-thousand-years' flood hit Colorado, record rainfall in Mexico, the Pacific Northwest, Brazil, and India, fireballs turning night into day over Canada and the US, a powerful tornado in Sao Paulo, a 7.7 earthquake in Pakistan that formed a new island in the ocean, followed just 4 days later by 7.2 in the same region, a 7.0 earthquake in Peru, a daytime fireball in Alabama...these are just some of the highlights from the last week of another crazy month on planet Earth!

Thanks for watching here and stay safe!

Bizarro Earth

Santa Fe, New Mexico residents without water because of sinkhole

© Luis Sánchez Saturno/The New MexicanA water main break Tuesday on the corner of Camino Sierra Vista and Oñate Place. The sink hole is about 20 feet in diameter.
What started as a small leak that nobody could see, grew and grew until it became a big problem that nobody could ignore.

And it left dozens of Santa Fe residents without water, power or a way to get around their neighborhood.

"Oh, look at all the water," said Tanya Frank.

A six-foot deep sinkhole at the intersection of Camino Sierra Vista and Onate left around 50 homes and a hair salon without water.

"I just got that far and I could see the water just gushing. It was just amazing. It was like a nightmare. It was like a sci-fi movie," describes Dolores Martinez.

A 12-inch water main burst, pushing water up to the surface, creating cracks in the pavement, until it gave out.

Bell

Dangerous sinkhole swallows cars in Galleria area

Sinkhole, Houston
© JEREMY DESEL / KHOU 11 NEWSA big sinkhole was swallowing cars near the intersection of Richmond and Fountainview in the Galleria
Houston - A big sinkhole was swallowing cars near the intersection of Richmond and Fountainview in the Galleria Area Monday.

Some drivers mistook the eight-foot-deep hole for a large puddle of water and drove right into it.

Ashley Johnson's 2013 Ford was no match for the sinkhole and one of her wheels got stuck.

"There is a big hole right here. I don't know where this came from," Johnson said.

She was one of the lucky ones because another foot to the left and her car would have sunk.

Brian Muller hit the hole Monday morning before the city put up orange warning cones and barrels.

"I tried to go around the side of it and my car fell in the hole," Muller said. "The water was going over the hole so I did not even know that there was a hole there."

Workers at the restaurant construction site next door pulled Muller's car out. They noticed a big pothole there last Thursday and said they called the city to report it. No one responded.

The weekend downpours then turned the pothole into a sinkhole.

The Public Works Department confirmed it received a phone call about a water main break in the area on Saturday.

Around 1 p.m. Monday, city crews finally closed one lane at the intersection to begin repairs.

They came too late for Muller and Johnson.

"I'm a little more shocked than mad right now. I am mad that my car is, like, probably totaled," Johnson said.

Bizarro Earth

Sinkhole swallows smart car near Jacksonville, Florida

A large sinkhole swallowed up a moving car in Jacksonville, Florida, on Tuesday.

The woman says she was driving through what looked like a water main break and didn't realize how saturated the ground really was. It only took a few seconds for her car to sink below the earth and fill up with water.

The road where it happened is now blocked off while crews investigate.

Arrow Down

Earth opens up and swallows U.S. Marine in Missouri

A young Marine based at Fort Leonard Wood in mid-Missouri was killed in what authorities call a "bizarre" accident. It happened at dusk Monday north of Buckhorn, MO.

Pulaski County Sheriff Ron Long said 31-year old Cortis Powelson fell into a sink hole as deep as a tall tree while returning home from deer hunting.

The county's deputy coroner Michael McCart repelled into the hole to reach the body. He said it was sixty to seventy feet deep and only about the size of a car at the top.

McCart, who describes himself as a life long deer hunter in the area, believes the sink hole is newly formed. "With all the rain and everything we've had just in the last month, it looks like it was a very freshly opened sink hole," he said Tuesday. Heavy rainfall caused flash flooding in the area in August that took two lives.

Hourglass

Will the Dead Sea be eaten by sinkholes? Huge chasms are appearing in the region at a rate of one per day

The Dead Sea is drying up at a rate of one meter per year causing sinkholes

There are now over 3,000 sinkholes around the Dead Sea on the Israeli side

This compares to 40 in 1990, with the first sinkhole appearing in the 1980s

The Dead Sea is drying up at an incredible rate leaving huge chasms of empty space in its wake.

These chasms appear in the form of large, devastating sinkholes and are increasing in number throughout the region.

Experts claim they are now forming at a rate of nearly one a day, but have no way of knowing when or how they will show up.

The Dead Sea is drying up at an incredible rate leaving huge chasms of empty space in its wake
Estimates by Moment magazine suggest that, on the Israeli side alone, there are now over 3,000 sinkholes around the Dead Sea.

Cloud Lightning

Vehicle swept down sinkhole in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario

Sault Ste. Marie, ON
© Ontario Provincial Police News PortalSault Ste. Marie, ON
Ontario Provincial Police News Portal [SAULT STE. MARIE] UPDATE - SEVERAL AREA ROADS CLOSED 2013-09-10

FLOODING AND WASHOUTS REPORTED

(Sault Ste. Marie, ON) - Due to the severe thunderstorms earlier this morning, the

Sault Ste. Marie Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police reported several road closures due to flooding and washouts.

A further washout has been reported on Goulais Mission Road at the 2400 block.

Bizarro Earth

Taylor County man falls in what he believes is a sinkhole

taylor sinkhole

Paul Harmon was cutting some limbs of a tree..with a chainsaw, when he suddenly felt himself falling.

"The next thing I knew I was in the ground," said the Lebanon Rd. resident.

The ground beneath him was gone, and he was instantly eye level with grass.

"I was hanging. I wasn't on my feet, I was hanging like this, and I had recently seen stories in Florida about sinkholes and was thinking this is what is happening to me," he said.

He didn't know how deep the hole was or how much further he could fall.

Arrow Down

Multiple sinkholes open up in Battery Park City, New York

© BatteryPark.tv
After Hurricane Sandy, a sinkhole opened up on the esplanade in South Cove. Now, a sinkhole has formed in the lawn of Rockefeller Park. It is unknown whether the flood waters caused them.

Bizarro Earth

50 feet wide and growing: Sinkhole shuts down intersection in Springfield, Missouri

A sudden sinkhole swallowed part of a Springfield road. City Utilities crews discovered the sinkhole Monday and they say it's the biggest they've seen in Springfield.

The crews found the sinkhole as they were installing water mains near Walnut Lawn and Cox to boost water pressure to customers. During a test of the main, the massive sinkhole opened up, closing part of Walnut Lawn.

At one point, crews estimate the sinkhole is 50 feet wide and at least 25 feet deep. Because of its size, CU says it will take several days to stabilize it and fill it.