Strange Sounds
S

Question

Strange noises heard in the skies of northeastern Illinois

Strange sounds - stock
© Shihao Mei/Unsplash
On February 12, 2019, YouTube user 'Lisa Laaouina' posted video footage of strange noises she heard in the skies of Justice, Illinois on February 10th:

I shot this video off my camera on my phone on 02/10/2019 in Justice, Illinois and it was night time around 11pm ish. The noise was the strangest thing I've heard! The noise also lasted till about 9 am the next day! Did anyone else hear this, and what in the world could it be?

Question

'Terrifying loud noise' heard at 2am in Austin, Texas

Strange sounds (stock)
© vexels.com
On February 5, 2019, YouTube user 'Jared McClain' published footage of weird noises he heard in Austin, Texas around 2:00 am:
Hello all. I was up late at night and this sound began out of nowhere. It reminded me of the soundtrack of a scary movie. It freaked me out so much I grabbed my phone to record the noise. I begin my video in my room, then go out front to hear the noise better. It seemed to be coming from a few blocks away, so I went back upstairs to put on my shoes and get my keys to drive to see what was making the sound. As soon as I put on my hoodie to leave, the noise stopped. It freaks me out to listen back to the noise. I'm not sure if it's a natural phenomenon or something out of the ordinary (aliens?).

Question

'Weird' sounds heard in southeastern Netherlands

Strange sounds in The Netherlands
© YouTube/Danny's Cafe
On February 6, 2019, YouTube user 'Danny's Cafe' uploaded footage of strange sounds he heard (again) in the skies of Nieuw-Bergen, Netherlands:

Comment: Please excuse the foul language.

Camcorder

Home surveillance camera captures mysterious boom in New Orleans, Louisiana

Mystery boom in LA
© WWLTV
The mystery surrounding the strange explosion-like sounds heard by residents in the metro area continues to grow. Late Monday night, several were heard in Lakeview, one of which was caught on camera by Eyewitness News.

A story that began in Mid-City, has taken crews to Harahan, River Ridge and Wagaman. Now we go to Lakeview, where late Monday night, the mysterious 'booms' were heard again.

"Loud boom, woke up startled, I thought a train car exploded," said Mariah Sandoval.

The surveillance video shows a flash of light, followed by the loud bang.

"If it was some kind of transformer, you would think Entergy would be out here," said Sandoval.

Newspaper

Loud boom, rumble heard in Panama City Beach, Florida

Mystery boom stock
© strangesounds.org
A lot of folks contacted us today after hearing a loud boom and rumbling sound early this afternoon a little after 1pm. Many people thought it might have been an earthquake. A quick check of the USGS (United States Geological Survey) ruled that out.

While we do not have a definitive answer what caused the rumble can likely be narrowed down to a few possibilities...

1. A sonic boom from a military jet over the Gulf of Mexico. While no aircraft were flying out of Tyndall... planes could have been flying over the Gulf from either Eglin or MacDill.

2. An explosion from an ordinance over at Eglin on the test range

3. Maybe a sonic boom from a meteor entering the Earth's atmosphere.

Meteor

Mysterious boom rattles residents and homes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Mystery boom in Philadelphia
© CBS
A mysterious boom has left residents in South Philadelphia rattled after many were awoken overnight by the loud sound. The boom was reportedly heard around 2 a.m. Tuesday. Those who heard it turned to social media to try to figure out what it may have been.

Many reported the boom was so loud it shook their windows and houses. Some even called police to report the mysterious explosion-like sound.

"I was asleep," said Kacie Campbell, a Pennsport Resident. "A pretty deep sleep. It was this loud noise that woke me up out of nowhere."

Question

Strange sounds heard in Tennessee after Blood Moon eclipse

Strange sounds stock
© Sharon Hill
On January 21, 2019, YouTuber 'bmh072k12' uploaded footage of strange sounds they heard in the sky after the recent eclipse of the moon:
Very strange sound. To us it sounds like a dragon breathing.

Comment: See also: Super blood wolf moon: A total lunar eclipse meets a supermoon this Sunday

Compass

'Weird loud noise' heard in Upstate South Carolina

Strange sounds stock
On January 8, 2019, YouTube user 'Autumn Clark' posted a video recording of weird noises she heard in skies of Upstate South Carolina:
Loud noise continued for several minutes. Never heard a sound like this around here in the almost year I've lived here. Btw it's not a plane.

Headphones

Strange sounds heard in Pennsylvania's sky

Strange sounds (stock)
On January 6 & 7th of 2019, YouTuber 'pennsylvaniaguy19' shared two videos of 'annoying' sounds he heard in the skies of Pennsylvania.

In the first video, he reports that he'd been hearing the 'slow droning, humming sounds' from around 9 am through 3 pm:

The next day, he posted another clip from his neighbor's property:

Play

Strange noise heard in the skies of Malacca, Malaysia

Strange sounds (stock)
On January 9, 2019, YouTube user 'suraya' posted video footage of strange noises he heard in the skies of Malacca, Malaysia: