Strange Sounds
S

Bizarro Earth

More strange sky sounds, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Amazing and strange sound in the sky in Brazil (São Paulo) on the morning of August 22, 2012, approximately 4:27 (AM).

The sound was so loud and intense that made wake up and look in the sky where the noise was very loud.

Question

Loud noise remains a mystery in Huon Valley, Tasmania

Tasmania
© Google Maps
A mysterious rumbling noise remains a hot topic in the Huon Valley some 10 days after it was heard.

Hundreds of residents are still unable to explain the source of the 20-second roar.

The noise was first reported after a Huonville dam bank burst on July 15, causing the evacuation of 100 residents.

"It woke me up about 10pm we had no idea what was going on at the time but in hindsight maybe it was the dam breaking," a Scenic Hill Drive resident said on July 16.

But the council said the noise would not have been caused by the dam incident.

Question

Strange Sound Reported in San Diego

San Diego
© Getty Images
Residents from Chula Vista to Oceanside reported a large rumble around 12:45 p.m. Friday.

The mysterious sensation was described by some people as sounding like a door slamming while others said it was strong enough to rattle windows.

A check of the U.S. Geological Survey website showed no earthquake activity.

NBC 7 San Diego's Dagmar Midcap was in Del Mar at the time and described it as a "Sonic 'rumble'" She tweeted, "according to my contacts at USGS, not seismic but rather sonic."

Two months ago, when San Diegans heard a similar sound, there was evidence of chaff on weather radar. Chaff is a material sometimes emitted during military exercises.

On Friday, however, Tina Stall with the National Weather Service said there was no visible chaff in the area at the time the noise was reported.

The mysterious sound had both residents and experts scratching their heads. Scripps Institution of Oceanography scientist Kristoffer Walker said he felt it too, and looked into microphones recorded from MCAS Miramar.

Evidence from his research revealed an answer.

Bizarro Earth

Mystery boom and shaking in Georgia identified as an earthquake?

A mysterious boom that shook portions of Appling late Monday was confirmed Tuesday as a minor earthquake, according to Columbia County authorities.

The event, which registered a 2.1 magnitude on the Richter scale, occurred at 9:26 p.m. and was located near Columbia and Appling-Harlem roads, Emergency Services Director Pam Tucker said.

The temblor was not listed on national earthquake monitors, but was confirmed by a seismologist at Savannah River Site, she said.

"This would explain the loud boom and shaking that many residents felt," she said.

Earthquakes occur periodically in the area, which lies along the fall line, where the Coastal Plains and Piedmont regions meet.

Comment: The article mentions that a 2.1 magnitude earthquake produced a 'loud boom' but it was not recorded on the USGS site. Perhaps the 'loud boom' was from a different source?

Attention

Huge mystery boom heard over Oxfordshire county

Police have been inundated with calls about loud bang, believed to be a series of sonic booms.

Fire crews are also investigating the source of the noise and Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue are liaising with neighbouring counties.

Thames Valley Police duty inspector Phil Rogers said people have reported the noise, from Chipping Norton, Burford, Banbury and North Newington, right out to Swindon and Warwick.

Bizarro Earth

Strange sounds in the Oregon sky

This is the 3rd morning in a row at roughly 3:00 am. The sound starts with a rumbling in the ground, and then the sound continues for roughly 30 minutes or so. Can not explain where it is coming from, it seems as if it is coming strait from the sky with not a single plane in sight.

If anyone has anymore info. on this sound we are hearing, I would very much appreciate any explanation to what we are experiencing here in Oregon.

Meteor

"Deep Large and Heavy" Boom Over Ohio Blamed On Jet

Columbus, Ohio - A loud noise heard near Delaware and Marion counties concerned many residents Thursday evening.

10TV News received reports that residents in Hilliard, Galloway, Westerville and Canal Winchester also heard the sound.

According to the Delaware County Sheriff's Office, a low-flying jet broke the sound barrier and created a sonic boom.

Comment: This boom, occurred just six hours after a similar massive boom that shook houses over large swathes of England was heard. That boom was also blamed, by British authorities, on military jets. What are the odds? Given the large number of meteorite sightings in recent years, it is far more likely that these booms were caused by overhead meteorite detonations and the US and British governments are scrambling to cover it up.

Note some of the comment of eyewitnesses left on at the original link of this article:
Right. The Delaware County Sheriff's office would have their finger on the pulse of sonic booms caused by supersonic aircraft.
2012-04-13 00:36:34.0

Judy Graves (bella-gypsy)

That did not sound like a jet. It sounded deep,large, and heavy. And with no boom sound, it lasted a long time. Everyone I've talked to heard it, but no one saw anything in the sky.

2012-04-13 12:12:33.0

Bob Miller (blaza6925)

I don't believe this at all... First of all, they don't keep F-16 at Rickenbacker. Second, if a F-16 was going to take off for Mississippi, it would have taken off on runway 23 (heading southwest). Third, at 10,000, you can see an F-16 easily-even with he light cloud cover. Four, people heard the sound all the way up in Marion; if the jet was turning over Westerville to go south, it shouldn't be heard all the way in Marion

Bizarro Earth

Unexplained Triple Mystery 'booms' Rattle Houses in Northern Region of France

A "thud" and even "three booms" were heard in the sky near Bigouden Wednesday night, March 23rd. The phenomenon remains unexplained and apparently was repeated on the night of the 24th from north to south of Finistere. There were reports also in Côtes d'Armor and Morbihan. But where do these sounds come from? "It sounded like a thud of a child stamping his feet on the wall of the neighbor," one witness said. Testimonials are legions Bigouden. But not only. Combrit Chateauneuf-du-Faou through Briec, Quimper, Plogastel-Saint-Germain, Pont l'Abbé, Tréméoc, Cockles, Plobannalec-Lesconil or Clohars-Fouesnant, many people on Wednesday to 21h, were intrigued by the phenomenon.

Question

Did You Hear That Boom? Residents Report Saturday Night Sounds that Shook Homes

Michigan, US - Ferndale Police are investigating what might have caused three loud booms and light flashes that shook homes and concerned many local residents Saturday night.

The booms were heard around 9:30-10 p.m. and may have originated near the area of Hilton and Marshall. More than 40 people posted on Ferndale Patch's Facebook page about the incidents - describing flashes of light seen in the sky, their homes vibrating with the noise, and helicopters heard overheard following the sounds.

A Ferndale Police dispatcher said last night at 12:30 a.m. that they investigated the noise but could not find its cause. He said fireworks were a possibility.

Ferndale Police Lt. Casey O'Loughlin said Sunday morning that he was not aware of any reports made but said loud booms can be caused by fireworks.

"That's usually what loud booms turn out to be are fireworks," he said.

In Ferndale, any type of fireworks that explode or leave the ground are illegal, he said.

O'Loughlin said he was not aware of any helicopters being sent out.

Comet

Noise Was Not Thunder! Pocono Residents Hear Loud Sonic-like Boom That Shook Homes

US, Pennsylvania - Strong thunderstorms hit the Poconos Friday night, moving through shortly after 10 p.m. and continuing for at least a half hour, but the weather event that had folks talking was a loud sonic-like boom that shook houses at about 10:15 p.m.

Gilda Spiotta of Long Pond said, "The shaking last night lasted unusually long. Didn't sound like thunder, didn't feel like thunder, was wondering if something happened on 380/80; tanker accident."

Another Long Pond resident, Lorene R. Allman-Mars: "My son was at the back door letting the dogs out and he reported that he saw a large flash of light fill the sky toward/above the FedEx distribution site on 940, then he heard a loud boom. It didn't look like lightning, it looked like a bomb blew up in the air. I was on the second floor of the house; I didn't see anything but I heard the boom and felt it shake the house. I actually felt it under my feet. The floors shook; I have never felt lightning shake the house like that before and we've been up here 20 years!"

Some readers suggested an earthquake or an explosion, but said that definitely was no routine thunder.

Meteorologist and Pocono weather expert Ben Gelber offered this explanation: "One possibility is that thunderstorms in our chilly environment near the surface tonight, associated with an inversion of warm air aloft, sound much louder."

He added, "The sound waves are refracted back to the surface and reverberate in ways that we normally do not experience as they bounce between the surface and the inversion near the base of the clouds."

Other residents commented from across the Poconos:
"My kids and I heard the sound in Saw Creek," said Winnie Michaluk. "Our windows rattled and our dogs were barking like crazy."

Russo Albuja of Tobyhanna said, "I was driving along 196 on my way home from work when I felt the BOOM. It was so extreme, my car shook and on my left hand side on an empty field - all I saw was this HUGE flash of light coming from where the airport location would be at. Afterwards, I heard nothing. Kinda scared me that I rushed home and locked my doors."

Katee McCarthy said, "Felt it here in the Tannersville area. Quite scary." As of 11 p.m., she reported lightning and sleet in the area.

Tim Aziz said, "Just heard something at 10:35 in East Stroudsburg, the whole house vibrated!"